Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > FanFiction Extras > FanFic Discussion
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 05-10-2017, 12:25 PM   #41
Dicra
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvital92 View Post
I really want to read more fics where HP becomes a dark lord without bashing. It woul also help if there was not a super Harry and that kind of scifi stuff.
The fic of your dreams:
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1185816...of-Their-Parts

Nothing to write home about, but if you aren't bothered by it being German and the first two chapters being quite unrealistic, it might be something for you.
Dicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 04:31 PM   #42
Averis
Fourth Year
Don of Delivery

High Score: 3,065
Persona/HP fusion.

Harry attempts to steal Voldemort's heart and change the Dark Lord's cognition. While on the run, Hermione is caught while they are attempting to destroy a horcrux, and Harry reveals full knowledge of the prophecy in order to keep Hermione alive.

Knowing that the horcruxes are in fact being moved, Hermione and Harry begin searching for a different way to circumvent Voldemort's hold on the wizarding world. Harry, growing more and more disillusioned as he becomes Undesirable #1, is driven to experiment with the connection he shares with Voldemort, although his only initial successes seem to be infuriating headaches and sleeplessness.

It's around this time that Harry begins dreaming of another world where he is a prisoner garbed in black and white jailed in a suspicious velvet room. The warden, a long-nosed man, informs him of his impending rehabilitation, which is set to begin immediately.

The significance of these events are lost on Harry, and he passes them off as a wild dream, initially hiding his secret from Hermione until it becomes obvious that his magic has started to act up, causing him to lose control often enough to compromise their safety in the wilderness.

Soon, Harry finds himself slipping not into slumber, but into another world formed around solely of Voldemort's cognition -- a twisted, cave-like Hogwarts where gigantic snakes clash with hideous creatures of myth roaming the halls. He makes his way through a series of challenges, unlocking a path to the Headmaster's office, where Voldemort's shadow awaits...
Old 05-10-2017, 06:20 PM   #43
Miner
Seventh Year

I think the most important thing for me when judging what I want to read comes down to relatability.

I want to read something relatable.

Now, to be quite clear, the entire premise of Harry Potter (magic, an entire hidden world, etc.) is quite obviously not relatable.

But I want to read about characters that behave like human beings. I absolutely despise fics where characterizations are butchered to the point where it's like I'm reading about alien interactions or some shit between wizards on screen. It's probably the biggest reason why fanon cliches like marriage contracts or the whole Victorian-esque House system bothers me.

I want to be able to step into the character's shoes and understand why he/she made the choices that he/she made. Be able to empathize with the character in times of despair, and be able to cheer alongside him/her in moments of triumph. Good stories are ones where you can sink into the world and just immerse yourself. Where you can forget who you are and just explore another world.

Obviously, there are other notable features required to make a story great, but if we're talking about the one thing that I absolutely want to see in a story, then relatability would be it.
I'm an Adult. I blame Drome <---- I see this.
Miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:20 PM   #44
Jon
Administrator
The Ḑ͉͙̫̑̂ͮ̎̍͒̽̉̆̀ͅȇ̱̯̘̖̾͐͐͂͢m̴̢͙̟̤̤̝̍ͫ͂̏̒́͘o̒n

Send a message via Skype™ to Jon
@Averis heavily considering a Persona/HP fic atm, though not what you asked for specifically.

"Jon's fics are kinda like children in a way.
Bright, pretty, smart—children that any father would kill to have.
And he just tells them he needs to buy a pack of cigarettes."

—Lungs, 2015
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:27 PM   #45
fvital92
Squib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicra View Post
Thank you! I will check out as soon as I can.
fvital92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:35 AM   #46
Averis
Fourth Year
Don of Delivery

High Score: 3,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
@Averis heavily considering a Persona/HP fic atm, though not what you asked for specifically.
I'd be interested in helping you with it (provided you wanted some, of course). I'm not really all that worried about the specifics, just the idea of entering Voldemort's cognition and it being a warped version of Hogwarts appealed to me.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:27 PM   #47
Eilyfe
Order Member

Drunken Dumbledore and Harry shenanigans with mentor parts and magical mystical mystery solving. Basically humorous.

If you could write like Terry Pratchett that'd be great too. Would appreciate it.
Which in sleep had fallen on you -
Ye are many, they are few."

Eilyfe is online now   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 3 thumbs up
Old 05-11-2017, 03:58 PM   #48
KGB
Unspeakable

What I have always wanted from HP fanfiction is a serialized Harry as auror fic.

Short 30-40k sections of Harry taking down a monster/villain of the week with some overarching plot that stays in the background most of the time.

I am sort of surprised that I have never really seen one. As it would be the perfect way for someone to stretch their creative muscles in a familiar and established setting without the commitment of a full blown fic. Every time you hit a writers block on the main plot just jump on a side adventure.
KGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 05-11-2017, 06:51 PM   #49
Jon
Administrator
The Ḑ͉͙̫̑̂ͮ̎̍͒̽̉̆̀ͅȇ̱̯̘̖̾͐͐͂͢m̴̢͙̟̤̤̝̍ͫ͂̏̒́͘o̒n

Send a message via Skype™ to Jon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averis View Post
I'd be interested in helping you with it (provided you wanted some, of course). I'm not really all that worried about the specifics, just the idea of entering Voldemort's cognition and it being a warped version of Hogwarts appealed to me.
Yeah no dramas. Next time you're on IRC message me and we can chat about it.

"Jon's fics are kinda like children in a way.
Bright, pretty, smart—children that any father would kill to have.
And he just tells them he needs to buy a pack of cigarettes."

—Lungs, 2015
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:06 PM   #50
crimson sun06
Unspeakable

I am a sucker for redemption fic and would love to see one involving Voldemort with the point of divergence being moments before his death when Harry tells him to try and feel remorse as he has seen what becomes of him otherwise. Voldemort rifles through Harry's memory via legilimency and Harry allows it to let him see for himself resulting in him changing his mind about his ways.

I also favor mentor fics with the mentor as the protagonist, though I really haven't seen any maybe I haven't been looking hard enough.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:04 PM   #51
Feanor
Second Year

Honestly at this point the thing I want most is a fic I'm even remotely interested in that updates regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aekiel View Post
Justin Bieber is my new hero.
Feanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 11:42 PM   #52
CheddarTrek
Set Phasers to Melt

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimson sun06 View Post
I also favor mentor fics with the mentor as the protagonist, though I really haven't seen any maybe I haven't been looking hard enough.
There's not many of these. Hell there's not that many of these in fiction in general, I think. You might find a story where the protagonist/MC is the older guy who has taken someone under his wing, so from the younger person's POV that guy is the mentor, but...

To me that's not a 'mentor fic' in that case. I feel like when talking about a mentor it's in reference to the protagonist. I wonder if this is what you mean as well? Where the kid being mentored is still the protagonist, he's just not the main character. Like how Ishmael might have been our primary character but Ahab was the protagonist.

For example... if you wrote a story where Harry Potter was still the 'main character' of the series, you just gave him someone as a mentor and told that story from their eyes as they try to guide/mentor the hero.

Interesting.
Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. But I rather believe than time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important how we lived. After all, Number One, we're only mortal.
~Jean-Luc Picard

CheddarTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 12:56 AM   #53
crimson sun06
Unspeakable

I meant fics which explore the dynamics of relationship between a mentor and their protege, mainly through the eyes of the mentor and the main conflict in the fic revolving around the mentor with the apprentice playing the role of a deuteragenist.

Quote:
For example... if you wrote a story where Harry Potter was still the 'main character' of the series, you just gave him someone as a mentor and told that story from their eyes as they try to guide/mentor the hero.
I would like Harry as the main character, though I would like to see him in the role of a mentor instead of the apprentice. There are more than enough of the latter in the fandom I believe.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:38 PM   #54
Tydestorm
Squib

I'd like to read a fic exploring the magical societies of other countries and how they compare to Britain's.
Tydestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:49 PM   #55
Hesser
Squib

So, quite a lot of people mentioned the following:
- more mysterious magic,
- HP universe explored, as in countries, different kinds of magic, races and their abilities,
- relatable/believable characters,
- building on canon,
- ?talented characters, characters making an effort, having real skills, being mentored,
- romance as a part of the story rather than the main focus of it.

I would like to add gritty realism and characters taking time off. What I mean with the last one is that there are lots of stories where everything is oh-so-significant. Game of Quidditch or house rivalry is treated as something as important as the Battle of Normandy, every interaction, decision and conversation has far reaching consequences, and when Harry is taking a dump it is an important, life changing dump that is the most significant dump that a man has ever... dumped.
Sometimes the story just needs the characters telling jokes, finding themselves in silly situations, making stupid but small and totally insignificant mistakes, having some strange mannerism that makes them more human, or having a hobby, say, collecting stamps.
Hesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 04:28 PM   #56
Methos
Third Year

Most of the elements I wish to see in HP fics were mentioned I will add few.

-Sirius mentor Harry (requires more badass Sirius).
-Guerrilla Potter (done properly)
-No Time turners, Truth Serums and other world breaking devices that are never used.
-Fic in pre-canon that Explore the Marauders and bring out their full potential.
-More Supernatural world.
-Decent cross overs
-Rorschach blot Odd Ideas turn to full fics
Methos is offline   Reply With Quote