Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > Politics
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

View Poll Results: New Thread Title?
Trumperium 2: We Shall Overcomb 12 18.46%
Trumperium 2: Remember, no Russian 9 13.85%
Trumperium 2: Executive Dis Order 8 12.31%
Trumperium 2: Caesar by the Pussy 24 36.92%
Trumperium 2: From Russia with Love 12 18.46%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 01:35 PM   #1621
Darth_Revan
Secret Squirrel

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuitTombee View Post
Yes...

I was assuming that the opposing votes, i.e Appropriate vs. Inappropriate or Serious Issue vs. Distraction, for each group would equal 100%. However not all of them total 100% that I can see.

Edit: Perhaps this will better illustrate my point.

Polls like these won't graphically include respondents who state 'Undecided', 'Don't Know/Care', or 'Did Not Respond'. There's no reason to expect them to be all 100%. Take a look at the raw data, you'll likely find your answers there.

Peace is a lie, the greatest lie there is. The truth is strife. Struggle. Pain. Suffering.

And from that turmoil, power. The power to bend the universe to my will.

- Revan, Dark Lord of the Sith
Old 05-12-2017, 01:41 PM   #1622
NuitTombee
Supreme Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Revan View Post
Polls like these won't graphically include respondents who state 'Undecided', 'Don't Know/Care', or 'Did Not Respond'. There's no reason to expect them to be all 100%. Take a look at the raw data, you'll likely find your answers there.
Thank you, that is what I was asking for in my first post.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:28 PM   #1623
Lindsey
Order Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Lindsey
Quote:
These graphs also don't include how many Republicans, Democrats and Independents they interviewed, nor the percentage of Americans in these parties.

Many Americans tend to state that they are Independents that tend to lean towards one party or another, only 'declaring' for a party around election time...

"As of October 2014, Gallup polling found that 43% of Americans identified as Democrats and 39% as Republicans, when party "leaners" were included; those figures changed to 41% Democratic and 42% Republican after the November 2014 elections.[3] However, an earlier 2013 Gallup survey found that 42% of Americans identified as political independents, a record high.[4]

The latter result is more in line with Gallup polling in 2010 that found that 31% of Americans identified as Democrats (tying a 22-year low), 29% as Republicans, and 38% as independents.[5] "

We have no idea what questions were asked and how they quantified the results. Its not a very good reflection of popularity of this move other than: "hardcore Republicans like Trump, hardcore Democrats hate him"
Old 05-12-2017, 04:42 PM   #1624
Chengar Qordath
Auror
The Final Pony

High Score: 1,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
These graphs also don't include how many Republicans, Democrats and Independents they interviewed, nor the percentage of Americans in these parties.

Many Americans tend to state that they are Independents that tend to lean towards one party or another, only 'declaring' for a party around election time...
Yeah, I've known quite a few self-declared Independents who still vote a straight party line every election.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:45 PM   #1625
bob99
High Inquisitor

Plus we don't really need Trump's base. We shouldn't write them off, but if we convince and motivate moderates, centrists, and liberals to vote for the Democratic party then we can win more elections.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:48 PM   #1626
Invictus
Heir

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob99 View Post
Plus we don't really need Trump's base. We shouldn't write them off, but if we convince and motivate moderates, centrists, and liberals to vote for the Democratic party then we can win more elections.
I mean. You can try. But the last 7 years weren't very successful. Maybe. Just maybe. Dems should go back to their roots a little.
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 05-12-2017, 05:21 PM   #1627
Darth_Revan
Secret Squirrel

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
I mean. You can try. But the last 7 years weren't very successful. Maybe. Just maybe. Dems should go back to their roots a little.
Granted, but then again, it's always easier to not be the guys in charge. Opposition is easier than governing, as the GOP is finding out day after day.

Peace is a lie, the greatest lie there is. The truth is strife. Struggle. Pain. Suffering.

Old 05-12-2017, 05:50 PM   #1628
Invictus
Heir

Quote:
Granted, but then again, it's always easier to not be the guys in charge. Opposition is easier than governing, as the GOP is finding out day after day.
Indeed. But if the opposition isn't trusted and doesn't match the desires of the central electorate, well, then you will find out that electors are willing to forgive a lot, as Labour gonna find out. Again.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:28 PM   #1629
Sesc
Slytherin at Heart

The WaPo article links to the NBC site, and if everything is as always, you should find the raw data there. Knock yourself out.

The actual point is that the representatives with an (R) after the name have zero incentive to stop of even (lol) impeach Trump. And as those happen to have the majority, we'll be treated to a lot more Trump in the next years.
She shuddered, even as we were descending, but when we dismounted, there was no sadness, no grief. Her ice blue eyes burned in boundless fury, a look so piercing it went clean through me. It was simultaneously the most beautiful and most terrifying thing I had ever seen on her face.

“Someone is going to pay.”

Kairos

I heard that you like the bad girls, honey,
Is that true?
Old 05-13-2017, 12:05 AM   #1630
Darth_Revan
Secret Squirrel

DLP Supporter Donor Star
You see, if you give him enough time, his Id comes out.

Trump now says that Comey 'should never have exonerated her.' This, despite the fact that 48 hours ago, he was saying that he fired Comey because he 'wasn't fair' to her.

So by the transitive property, we should have been 'fair' to Hillary by, in fact, being harsher to her than we already were.

So, now, Fairness equals Prison.

I propose we treat Mr. Trump VERY FAIRLY.

Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 05-13-2017, 06:49 AM   #1631
NuitTombee
Supreme Mugwump

Quote:
You see, if you give him enough time, his Id comes out.

Trump now says that Comey 'should never have exonerated her.' This, despite the fact that 48 hours ago, he was saying that he fired Comey because he 'wasn't fair' to her.

So by the transitive property, we should have been 'fair' to Hillary by, in fact, being harsher to her than we already were.

So, now, Fairness equals Prison.

I propose we treat Mr. Trump VERY FAIRLY.
I mean, not that I agree with him, but using fair in such a way is not unique to him to my knowledge.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:28 AM   #1632
Darth_Revan
Secret Squirrel

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuitTombee View Post
I mean, not that I agree with him, but using fair in such a way is not unique to him to my knowledge.
Not when you consider that the memo published by the Deputy Attorney General that was used by the White House as an explanation defined not being fair as the Director should never have even said anything at all that was derogatory/defamatory if they weren't seeking a prosecution. That's what 'not fair' meant 48 hours ago.

Old 05-13-2017, 08:06 PM   #1633
Solfege
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
N=1 confirmation. Cheri Bustos won her district (IL, 17th) by a 20pt landslide despite it swinging for Trump.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:25 PM   #1634
Agayek
Dark Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solfege View Post
N=1 confirmation. Cheri Bustos won her district (IL, 17th) by a 20pt landslide despite it swinging for Trump.
You have any details on Cheri Bustos' positions and all that? I don't know squat about Illinois politicians, and her wikipedia page wasn't terribly helpful, consisting mostly of "Supports the ACA" and "Opposes the Bush tax breaks".
Old 05-13-2017, 08:48 PM   #1635
Solfege
Professor

Her success seems to have focused on authentic outreach to her constituents, the manner in which she meets and mingles and listens, and comes away walking a deft line in managing the conversation that matters to them.

Hence she's pro-choice and Catholic but rarely talks about that (or other "no-win" social issues) in favor of jobs and economy. She's pro-gun and frames support for limited gun control accordingly, when it comes up. She's supported Keystone and called for improving the imperfect ACA. On issues such as TPP, BLM, transgendered bathrooms, she's been noncommittal. TPP would've been a hard choice had it come down to the line, but the others seem to be "no-wins" that aren't much priorities for conversation.

She's the only IL-D from outside the Chicago districts, and it seems one of the few to win rural counties consistently.

Last edited by Solfege; 05-13-2017 at 09:07 PM.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 05-14-2017, 09:42 PM   #1636
Invictus
Heir

As expected, Trump realized that the TPP was a pretty damn good deal for the issue macro-economic interests and geopolitical ambitions and is now trying to quietly revive it under a new brand. Sure, it will fuck over a major part of the electorate that won him the WH, but that is par for the course. He seems intent on killing them before they regret it.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-tru...63203?mod=e2fb
Old 05-14-2017, 11:08 PM   #1637
Dark Belra
Minister for Magic

Of course he would be trying to get it back. I'm pretty sure the people he has surrounded himself with now are the very kind who wanted it. The guy, and his supporters, were just such idiots they had no idea what it even meant.

Peace and Prosperity be damned.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 05-15-2017, 12:59 AM   #1638
The Iron Rose
Order Member

Thank Christ. I'm 1000% happy for the TPP to come into effect while Trump gets saddled with the political blame.

I don't even think it'll fuck his electorate over at all. Oh, sure, it's a betrayal of the campaign promises, but TPP was never going to impact American workers all that much, unless they were heavily invested in Chinese knockoff companies.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:34 AM   #1639
Arthellion
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iron Rose View Post
Thank Christ. I'm 1000% happy for the TPP to come into effect while Trump gets saddled with the political blame.

I don't even think it'll fuck his electorate over at all. Oh, sure, it's a betrayal of the campaign promises, but TPP was never going to impact American workers all that much, unless they were heavily invested in Chinese knockoff companies.
Eh...my mom and 200 other people lost their jobs because of their firm being invested in those knock off industries. We still are for the TPP, but always remember there are real people hurt by policies. The goal of the president should be to seek policies that hurt/benefit the least/most people in their country.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:24 PM   #1640
Silens Cursor
The Chosen One
The Silencer

DLP Supporter Donor Star
So Trump revealed sensitive intel to the Russian ambassador and foreign minister.

Really, at this point I'm just surprised it took this long. If McCain and Graham don't go nuclear over this, they never will.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Closed Thread