Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > Other Fandoms > Almost Recommended
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 04-28-2017, 01:13 PM   #821
Thaumologist
Minister for Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign View Post
It's been deleted for 'Inappropriate Content'.
Yeah, I mentioned it in the Danmachi thread, didn't worry about updating here.

Mods have said they'll put it back once they've scrubbed it, but I dunno if I could be bothered to keep writing after that.

No word yet on whether it'll get crossposted to QQ or FF
Old 05-01-2017, 05:59 AM   #822
Probellum
Death Eater

I really don't care all that much for Warhammer, but did that fic get pulled down because of that twerking scene? If so, I truly have to marvel at that being deemed 'inappropriate content' when you have stuff like this on Cartoon Network nowadays.
Quote:
"No one is actually dead until the ripples they cause in the world die away." - Terry Pratchett
Probellum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:36 AM   #823
Thaumologist
Minister for Magic

It's been down over a week, and only the latest threadmark was flagged as inappropriate... But I didn't see the chapter before it was removed, so I can't tell you for sure. But the comments suggest it was moving into lap-dancing, which is, obviously, completely obscene and will ruin SB forever by turning it into a wanton pit of depravity.

However, the rest of the threadmarks (including most of the omakes) have been pulled. I think to the mod subforum, so they can look at everything "in context". It's quite possibly going to result in trimming to the rest of the story too, because violence, murder, and blood (all happening around a young child!).

It might end up moving to QQ, if the author doesn't lose all ability to care for it. But they're staying pretty quiet since, so who knows.

I don't always understand the moderation on SB, and I don't even bother trying anymore. Some things are fine, some aren't, and mods go mental when the things that aren't don't get reported (there was a Worm thread that had something apparently inappropriate, and considerations of everyone who'd liked or posted since that post, because they didn't report it). They've also suggested anything you suspect might be bending the rules, and to not worry about being banned yourself for too many reports.
Old 05-07-2017, 03:34 PM   #824
cooladoola
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrows View Post
This thread needs bumping.

The Way of the Wind
By: Just Enough
Naturo

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/4136594...ay-of-the-Wind
Complete

Now right off the bat this is an Itachi/Sakura romance in a non-massacre AU. Yeah I know but hear me out.

Despite having a premise that usually results in the worst kind of fics this story is better than it has any right to be. Writing a good Itachi POV is hard, writing a good Itachi romance has to be damn near impossible. Yet this story totally pulls off both an interesting characterisation and a fun romance focused story. One of those fics that proves any premise can be written well.

From what I can tell, the AU splits when Mikoto insists Itachi stays in the academy till he is 12, resulting in a slightly more emotionally stable/connected Itachi and no massacre. The results of this are nicely explored, the characters are all plausible AU versions of themselves, the side plots are interesting and the interactions and romance are genuinely fun to watch.

So yeah, despite the fact I can't imagine the premise finding many fans on DLP I gotta recommend it anyway.

Edit: Yeah this is post timeskip Sakura if that's not clear, I think they are about 18/19 and jonin though I can remember the exactly. She's well characterised, competent and not in love with Sauske.
I didn't make it far. This is a typical 'fix the broken' man Sakura story Sakura fandom so adores.
cooladoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:35 AM   #825
Probellum
Death Eater

So....anyone else here read Lulu's Bizarre Rebellion? For those of you that don't know, it's a Code Geass/JJBA Crossover, in which Lelouch gains a Stand rather than Geass. Geass still exists, and rather than just C.C. being in the capsule at the beginning of the series, it's her and a Stand Arrow. Obviously, Lelouch gets nicked with the Arrow.

Geass and Stands are supposed to be incompatible, with a couple of exceptions that become relevant. Needless to say, the combination is...scary.

I've generally enjoyed this fic. It's well written, and most of the characters are on point. There's intrigue and scheming going on in the background, shit doesn't just revolve around Lelouch and Britannia, and there is very big sense of a larger game with many different players going on. I'm trying to refrain from too many spoilers, as, while it mainly follows the stations of canon at first, it very quickly veers off the rails.

As one may expect from a Code Geass and JJBA Cross, thins are very....bombastic.

I bring this fic up, however, as I recently caught up with it, and well....I want a bit of a second opinion. In canon, I was never a fan of Shirley and I nearly hate her character type, so this may be my bias talking, but in the fic, I found her to be...shoehorned in. Like, she's there, but it doesn't feel like she's really necessary to the plot, with everything she's done being something that could easily have been achieved by something else. While her character is more fleshed out, and given a bigger role (A much bigger role) she just seems very....annoyingly there.

So, is it just me? Or does Shirley seem like she could have been phased more into the background, and the things she 'contributes' to the plot have been achieved in other ways?
Quote:
"No one is actually dead until the ripples they cause in the world die away." - Terry Pratchett
Probellum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:58 AM   #826
Jarik
Chief Warlock

Send a message via MSN to Jarik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Probellum View Post
So....anyone else here read Lulu's Bizarre Rebellion? For those of you that don't know, it's a Code Geass/JJBA Crossover, in which Lelouch gains a Stand rather than Geass. Geass still exists, and rather than just C.C. being in the capsule at the beginning of the series, it's her and a Stand Arrow. Obviously, Lelouch gets nicked with the Arrow.
Yeah, big fan of it. It's actually in the DLP library here. Woefully lacking in reviews though...

Ends up actually having a pretty complex and interesting plot, with absolutely unique plot arcs from what you come across in any other Geass fic.

One of the things I love about it is the huge cast of characters where just about everyone is interesting, intelligent or badass antagonists (not just a giant Lelouch wank that many Geass fics become). It also does this for many of the absolutely nobody canon characters - people like Ohgi, Kewell, Shirley and hell, even Kallen's mother becomes a character. The Mao arc, for instance, goes from being one of the worst arcs in canon to being one of the more interesting ones here.

Regarding your comment on Shirley, I like the fact the author tried to develop her into a character, but I get what you mean by her fading into the background.

I don't think we've seen many POVs from her recently - I am not sure if this is an intentional way of preventing the audience from understanding what is going through her head. For a narrative style that focuses a lot on exploring what characters are thinking, what goes through their heads and has many many POVs, Shirley's narrative feels so blank. In this last arc, it seems like she barely did anything.

Not sure if this is intentionally trying to distance her from the audience to prevent us from seeing how much she's changed, or whether the author just forgot about her. Guess we'll see.

Edit: Note that I am up to date on SpaceBattles, so a bit ahead of the Fanfiction.net story.
Jarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:26 AM   #827
Download
Chief Warlock

DLP Supporter Donor Star
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1236424...t-of-Normality

Ironman/BtVS crossover

This fic is disappointing. It starts of really strong but flounders about mid way. Mostly because it's an Ironman crossover that doesn't feature any Tony Stark doing Ironman stuff and the Buffy/Willow bashing/idiot ball that picks up near the end.
Download is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:29 PM   #828
Banta
The Chosen One

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Kaleidoscope is a self-insert story about an Uchiha who survives the massacre due to his fear of Itachi. It spends a lot of time focused on the SI, and was an enjoyable (if not great) read. However, its most recent updates and conclusion absolutely wrecked it. I don't think it's possible to suspend your disbelief enough for the finale to be entertaining.

The first part is still worth reading, and the second is enjoyable as a time-waster, but that last bit should be ignored if at all possible.

You can also find it on Ao3.
Banta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:36 PM   #829
Puzzled
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Download View Post
In that same category I liked this probably dead crossover a lot: Fortune Days.
Puzzled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:50 PM   #830
GiantMonkeyMan
High Inquisitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banta View Post
The first part is still worth reading, and the second is enjoyable as a time-waster, but that last bit should be ignored if at all possible.
Yeah, what a fantastic and interesting start and what a fantastically shit end.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:51 PM   #831
Tasoli
Headmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Download View Post
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1236424...t-of-Normality

Ironman/BtVS crossover

This fic is disappointing. It starts of really strong but flounders about mid way. Mostly because it's an Ironman crossover that doesn't feature any Tony Stark doing Ironman stuff and the Buffy/Willow bashing/idiot ball that picks up near the end.
I read it and I agree. Mostly. I think Tony being Iron man would have been too crushing in narrtieve sense. So it makes sense that was kept to minimum but there should have been atleast one scene where Ironman being awesome.

On the bright side it is finished and if you want to write a sequel for it you can totally do it. Author put it up for adoption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banta View Post
Kaleidoscope is a self-insert story about an Uchiha who survives the massacre due to his fear of Itachi. It spends a lot of time focused on the SI, and was an enjoyable (if not great) read. However, its most recent updates and conclusion absolutely wrecked it. I don't think it's possible to suspend your disbelief enough for the finale to be entertaining.

You can also find it on Ao3.
If anybody is going to read it, leave after 1st arc. It was totally an awesome tragedy. Last part shit on it really hard.

D
isney Land Paris

Last edited by Tasoli; 07-08-2017 at 03:54 PM.
Tasoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:22 AM   #832
kinetique
Groundskeeper

Kaleidoscope turned stupid at a rate I've never seen, complete with sprawling relationships and a fundamental lack of understanding of social situations that I can only assume the author was a victim of an extreme case of neckbearditus.
kinetique is online now   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 07-13-2017, 10:20 PM   #833
magglez
First Year

I think it was more weird than horrible. But if you manage to make it through the whole thing, the ending is just depressingly awful. Some of the ideas presented throughout were interesting, but it lacked the creepy paranoia and pervasive horror of the first part. Which was basically all that made it worth reading.
magglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up

Tags
almost recommendable