Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > FanFiction Extras > Other Fandoms > Story Search
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 05-22-2017, 11:52 AM   #1
Red
Groundskeeper

Story Search Bending-Focused Fics (Avatar)

Heyo guys.

I haven't read many Avatar fics, but I am looking for any stories focused on the bending aspect. That is, the learning, combat, intricacies of water/air/earth/fire bending. I don't care who the central character is or what the pairings are. I'm primarily looking for a fic with great prose and great descriptions of bending nuances in any form. Thanks for any reccs.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:41 PM   #2
Shouldabeenadog
High Inquisitor

Embers, by Vathara.
It has great exploration of firebending, positing on how to heal with firebending, and then goes from there. It is long and complete.
https://m.fanfiction.net/s/5398503/1/Embers
Warning: it is a contentious fic with proponents and detractors, and you may not like the heavy focus on Zuko.
Thumbs Up 3 thumbs up
Old 05-31-2017, 10:56 AM   #3
Jester
Sixth Year

Could I ask what makes Embers contentious? I'm mildly interested in Avatar, just finished the first series, and am looking for something in that era of Avatar to read.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:05 AM   #4
NuitTombee
Supreme Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Could I ask what makes Embers contentious? I'm mildly interested in Avatar, just finished the first series, and am looking for something in that era of Avatar to read.

This is just hearsay, but from what I've been told the Gaang are initially portrayed as being ignorant about cultural customs to the point of angering spirits and the like? Which would have been fine but apparently they never learn from their mistakes and it comes across as bashing their characters. While Zuko is mainly portrayed as understanding of the various customs in general and it's mostly hunky dory for him.

Course, anyone who knows better feel free to correct me.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:09 PM   #5
Arthellion
Seventh Year

It lightly bashes the Gaang.

Imagine making the world of avatar serious, but you still have the gaang acting like their cartoonish selves. They reap the repercussions.

It's a brilliant fantasy world andthe author did a great job adding to the mythology.

You'll either love it or hate it but warning it has a slow start.
Arthellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:22 AM   #6
TheBurningBagel
Squib

The bashing is tolerable, although I found Katara to be an incredible exaggeration of her canon self with all the good bits taken out, but I the endless Zuko worship gets to be grating.

(Also later chapters introduce quite a lot of oc's that range from decent to awful.)
TheBurningBagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:28 AM   #7
Agayek
Dark Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
TL;DR version of the detractors: In Embers, Zuko is a virtuous god-child who can do no wrong and is always right, while Aang is an ignorant monkey child and Katara is a screeching harpy with no redeeming qualities.

It's a bit of an exaggeration and hyperbole in that, but there's a kernel of truth to it. Honestly, I didn't find it all that bad, but it did grate after a while.