Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > FanFiction Extras > FanFic Discussion
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 06-12-2017, 04:57 AM   #21
Eilyfe
Order Member

Once upon a time, @CheddarTrek linked me to this infographic about the benefits of serif and sans-serif fonts.

If you're working with large texts that you're reading over a lot, this might influence your choice.
Which in sleep had fallen on you -
Ye are many, they are few."

Eilyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 06:24 AM   #22
Seratin
Minister for Magic
Proudmander

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eilyfe View Post
Once upon a time, @CheddarTrek linked me to this infographic about the benefits of serif and sans-serif fonts.

If you're working with large texts that you're reading over a lot, this might influence your choice.
That's actually quite helpful. I think I'm closer to understanding why people care about it so much.

The Indigo Road
A Pokemon quest
Seratin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:36 PM   #23
CheddarTrek
Set Phasers to Melt

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seratin View Post
That's actually quite helpful. I think I'm closer to understanding why people care about it so much.
Well one reason I care about it so much is that I literally cannot read fonts like Times New Roman for more than 5-10 minutes on a screen without having to look away blinking because I've gone cross eyed and now have double vision.

If you have decent/normal eyesight it might not matter as much. But one reason I love trying new fonts is because it really improves the entire experience for me in terms of eyeball comfort.

That doesn't explain why I want to use monospaced fonts when I am writing (not reading), but that's probably because it's easier for me to glance back and see things or something.
Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. But I rather believe than time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important how we lived. After all, Number One, we're only mortal.
~Jean-Luc Picard

CheddarTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:21 PM   #24
Joe's Nemesis
Death Eater
High Score: 2,058

High Score: 2,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seratin View Post

I'm clearly an uncouth scrub
Careful now . . .
Old 06-13-2017, 05:27 PM   #25
enembee
Fifth Year
The Nicromancer

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 2,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheddarTrek View Post
That doesn't explain why I want to use monospaced fonts when I am writing (not reading), but that's probably because it's easier for me to glance back and see things or something.
The reason I like them is because when two sentences are exactly the same length, it's because they're exactly the same length. For instance:

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

These two look of roughly similar length in my browser, but there's actually nearly 10 characters difference. When using a monospace font, I can tell if a sentence is too long, or a paragraph is underdeveloped, entirely at a glance.

In addition, you end up with perfectly justified text columns without actually having to justify and and end up with the kerning issues that would generally cause with a normal font. This is entirely an aesthetic consideration, but one that makes me infinitely happier when writing.

Also, it means that you can lay out things like tables purely in text without any worry that things are going to shift about the place.

[ Harry Potter and the Vaults of Valbonë ]
enembee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 05:21 AM   #26
Genghiz Khan
Auror

I prefer using Fantasque Sans Mono. Nothing beats it, imo - it manages to scratch an itch I never knew I had. I use it for anything I need to write in. My terminal, IRC client, writing app. If I can configure it to use this font, I do. @CheddarTrek, you might like it with your love of mono fonts. You can download it for free, it's open source.
The pen and sword will lie again at our feet.
Genghiz Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 06-17-2017, 12:14 AM   #27
Jon
Administrator
The Ḑ͉͙̫̑̂ͮ̎̍͒̽̉̆̀ͅȇ̱̯̘̖̾͐͐͂͢m̴̢͙̟̤̤̝̍ͫ͂̏̒́͘o̒n

Send a message via Skype™ to Jon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTT View Post
For general writing (including coding), I use Sublime Text 2 with Calibri (size 11) and the Monokai Bright theme.
Do you use the free version or the paid one?

"Jon's fics are kinda like children in a way.
Bright, pretty, smart—children that any father would kill to have.
And he just tells them he needs to buy a pack of cigarettes."

—Lungs, 2015
Jon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 02:20 AM   #28
Assassin4life
Squib

For academic purposes I use Times New Roman 12pt simply because nearly every paper calls for it. However for my own personal writings I exclusively use Constantia 11pt. I don't know why - I just enjoy the look of it.
Assassin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 03:57 AM   #29
Warlocke
Prisoner

I write in Notepad++.
So, uh, Courier New, 10pt, I suppose.
All the time. Without exception. I just add little symbols to indicate italics and whatnot.

I'm a creature of habits, and if they aren't bad, they're at least bizarre.

"Let me tell you a little something about love, Dennis. It has a voracious appetite. It eats everything- Friendship. Family. It kills me how much it eats. But I'll tell you something else. You feed it right, and it can be a beautiful thing, and that's what we have." - Arnie Cunningham, Christine

STEAM
Warlocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 04:11 AM   #30
BTT
Unspeakable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
Do you use the free version or the paid one?
I use the free version. It's basically like Winrar in that it occasionally asks if you'd be so kind as to donate, but that happens once a day at best and it never actually forces you to do so.
BTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 04:25 AM   #31
Oz
Migos Enthusiast

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via MSN to Oz
Yeah, no one pays for ST lol.

If I ever write, these days I do it in Vim with the Vimwiki plugin, and my terminal font is 16pt Monaco.

e: for an idea of what it looks like:

<chatter> prophet muhammad peace be upon him was sent to destroy the musical instruments

Last edited by Oz; 06-17-2017 at 02:34 PM.
Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:06 AM   #32
CheddarTrek
Set Phasers to Melt

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Sublime Text looks neat. Mostly because of how easy it is to use columns and manually adjust them. That's one thing that Word never got remotely right.

I like to have my outline in one column and what I'm writing in the other. With Word I usually have a second file open in notepad or something. Or if I'm drafting in yWriter then another page there, but while I like yWriter for a lot of things the actual writing experience is pretty meh.

So does Sublime Text have any primary competitors? I can always format and whatnot in Word later, but damn those columns are nice. Getting the font changed is a hassle though.
Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. But I rather believe than time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important how we lived. After all, Number One, we're only mortal.
~Jean-Luc Picard

CheddarTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:45 AM   #33
Oz
Migos Enthusiast

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via MSN to Oz
Atom, possibly. http://flight-manual.atom.io/using-atom/sections/panes/

They're both geared towards writing code more than prose, but as you said it's easy to add formatting after.

<chatter> prophet muhammad peace be upon him was sent to destroy the musical instruments
Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 11:50 AM   #34
kinetique
Groundskeeper

You could set up emacs for it as well.
kinetique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:14 AM   #35
Steelbadger
High Inquisitor

I do all my writing in Google Docs, and don't change the font off Arial 11pt. This is probably a hold-over from when I adopted GDocs to give me the flexibility to write anywhere. I used to do a fair amount of writing on my tablet if I was away from home, and GDocs had the best workflow at the time. I think OneDrive and Word might be better now, but I can't be arsed migrating everything across.

To be honest, the typeface matters little to me, as long as it doesn't make my eyes bleed or anything. Google Docs also has a fairly nice flow for getting access to the various accented or circumflex'd characters I find myself needing frequently when writing my Lord of the Rings crossovers.