Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > General Discussion
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2017, 05:08 AM   #1
HarrySnape
Looked into the void
 
Join Date: May 2017
Gender: Male
Posts: 5
Is Snape a good guy?

Harry himself has a change of heart and goes on about how Snape was always a good guy just trying to protect Harry but he really is a dick. Above and beyond what was necessary to keep his cover. Im on a reread of Goblet of Fire and when Hermione gets hit with Malfoy's spell and her teeth start growing down to her collar and Snape just says "I see no difference" that's an exceptionally dickish thing to say to a student, especially one that is a very good student.
HarrySnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 05:12 AM   #2
BTT
Unspeakable
 
BTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cyber City Oedo
Gender: Male
Posts: 761
No.

/10char
BTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 05:16 AM   #3
Caledfwlch
Sixth Year
 
Caledfwlch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Avalon
Posts: 174
DLP Supporter Donor Star
I don't think Snape was a good person.

He protected Harry, only because of his guilt regarding Lily, and still went out of his way to attack him because of his resentment regarding James. He took pleasure in bullying children who had no real way of fighting back, and that kind of pettiness is easier to dismiss in children but inexcusable as an adult. His love of Lily, and his protection of Harry, does not redeem a life of miserable behavior.
Caledfwlch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:45 AM   #4
llawssalg
DA Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 161
Just because snape is on the 'good side', it doesn't mean he is a good guy or a nice guy.
llawssalg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:13 AM   #5
Collinsworth
Squib
 
Collinsworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Passos, Brazil
Gender: Male
Posts: 11
No, Snape isn't a good guy. He's petty, cruel and bitter, as you don't need to be nice or have the purest reasons to be in the "good" side of the conflict and he certainly didn't. Yeah, it is clear in the story Snape fought time after time against Voldemord plans and was firmly in Dumbledore's plan, even if he did it for selfish reasons and guilty instead of the goodness of his heart, however, the guy WAS a bastard all around.

So, no. Snape isn't a good guy in any way, shape or form. He's in the good guys' side, yes, but there's no way that someone can call him a nice, good or even an tolerable human being.

Last edited by Collinsworth; 05-28-2017 at 11:15 AM.
Collinsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 05-29-2017, 01:26 PM   #6
Crownworthy
Squib
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Norway
Gender: Male
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrySnape View Post
Harry himself has a change of heart and goes on about how Snape was always a good guy just trying to protect Harry but he really is a dick. Above and beyond what was necessary to keep his cover. Im on a reread of Goblet of Fire and when Hermione gets hit with Malfoy's spell and her teeth start growing down to her collar and Snape just says "I see no difference" that's an exceptionally dickish thing to say to a student, especially one that is a very good student.
Why do you take the ability of a student into consideration when judging whether bullying them is acceptable or not?
Crownworthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 01:59 PM   #7
Arthellion
Seventh Year
 
Arthellion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Gender: Male
Posts: 281
Snaps being a good person is really dependent on what he does after lily dies. That is his moment where he can realize his mistake and choose to be a better man.

He doesn't. He becomes bitter and a bigger bully than he was before

So no. Not a good person
Arthellion is online now   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 05-30-2017, 02:58 AM   #8
Lexx
Squib
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 6
Snape only protected Harry because of Lily. Other than that there are almost no redeemable qualities in his character. I still can't ignore that he bullied Harry all throughout his schooling even though he is the adult in a position of power, and all because he is the son of the man he hated. He wasn't a good guy, but he did do things that could be considered good in the end.
Lexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 02:15 PM   #9
Cmathisiv
Muggle
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Gender: Male
Posts: 3
Snape is not what I would call a good guy. Yes he does do some things that are good, but throughout the series he shows himself to be petty, cruel, and just a generally unpleasant person. Doing the "right thing" a few times does not change the fact that he is bitter and cruel man who should never have been allowed near children, let alone allowed to teach them.
Cmathisiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 03:44 PM   #10
Verovir
Disappeared
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 37
Yes he is, because is capable of feeling love. This capacity is what redeems him. This is canon.
Verovir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 03:47 PM   #11
Shinysavage
Death Eater
Madman With A Box
 
Shinysavage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: UK
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 980
High Score: 2,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verovir View Post
Yes he is, because is capable of feeling love. This capacity is what redeems him. This is canon.
Yes, because canon isn't open to interpretation at all.
__________________
“I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes and the dreamer of improbable dreams.”
Shinysavage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 04:03 PM   #12
Clerith
Chief Warlock
 
Clerith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Finland
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,563
DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verovir View Post
Yes he is, because is capable of feeling love. This capacity is what redeems him. This is canon.
Canonically Voldemort is the only one incapable of feeling love. You think that makes every else, like the Death Eaters, "good", then?
Clerith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 04:12 PM   #13
Verovir
Disappeared
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 37
Turns out I was wrong. So were you, btw. So says the rowling:
Quote:
Originally Posted by "[url
http://www.cinemablend.com/pop/J-K-Rowling-Weighs-Harry-Potter-Great-Snape-Debate-101877.html"]J.K[/url]. Rowling ✔ @jk_rowling Snape is all grey. You can't make him a saint: he was vindictive & bullying. You can't make him a devil: he died to save the wizarding world
edit: Thank you, @The Pro . Couldn't have put it better myself. I would give you thumbs up, but it doesn't work. Must've been removed, or something.

Last edited by Verovir; 06-17-2017 at 05:09 PM.
Verovir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 04:53 PM   #14
The Pro
Seventh Year
 
The Pro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Depths of Tartarus
Age: 16
Gender: Male
Posts: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verovir View Post
Turns out I was wrong. So were you, btw. So says the rowling:
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.cinemablend.com/pop/J-K-R...te-101877.html
J.K. Rowling ✔ @jk_rowling Snape is all grey. You can't make him a saint: he was vindictive & bullying. You can't make him a devil: he died to save the wizarding world
Yeah, this clinches it. He's neither bad nor good per se, but more of an amoral character. Sure he's got flaws, but he's got virtues as well (few though they are). The whole debate of whether or not he's a good guy is really due to fanon butchering the character. People can't really portray him as what he is: a fundamentally flawed being with flaws that outweigh the few virtues he does have.

But to answer the question, not really, no. He's definitely not on the bad side of the spectrum, but that doesn't mean he can be considered a "good guy".
__________________
“Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.”

The Pro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:47 PM   #15
Socialist
Professor
 
Socialist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: The root of mt. Olympus
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 410
Quote:
he died to save the wizarding world
Wasn't he eaten by a snake because V thought his death would transfer the elder wand? That would make his death essentially meaningless, wouldn't it. Admittedly I only read DH once.
__________________
Quote:
Your thoughts run and flow like water, molding themselves around you, so that you can think anything rather than think that you are wrong.
Socialist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:29 PM   #16
The Pro
Seventh Year
 
The Pro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Depths of Tartarus
Age: 16
Gender: Male
Posts: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socialist View Post
Wasn't he eaten by a snake because V thought his death would transfer the elder wand? That would make his death essentially meaningless, wouldn't it. Admittedly I only read DH once.
J.K. Rowling has contradicted herself several times before, so it isn't too surprising she's said something like this.
__________________
“Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.”

The Pro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:06 PM   #17
Vincent
Death Eater
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 905
I was gonna go with the grey option as well. Snape obviously isn't a good person, however, I don't think he's evil either. He'll bully children but I don't think he enjoys actually harming people.
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:19 PM   #18
Jedipilot24
Squib
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 12
No, he is not. He's a bad guy who happens to have goals that coincide with the good guys, but only for selfish reasons.
Jedipilot24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:26 PM   #19
The Pro
Seventh Year
 
The Pro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Depths of Tartarus
Age: 16
Gender: Male
Posts: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedipilot24 View Post
No, he is not. He's a bad guy who happens to have goals that coincide with the good guys, but only for selfish reasons.
Ha! This post made me laugh out loud. Thanks for the chuckles, mate.
__________________
“Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.”

The Pro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 12:11 AM   #20
Anarchy
Prisoner
 
Anarchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NJ
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,845
DLP Supporter Donor Star
He's not a good guy... he's not a bad guy... he's THE guy.

/s
__________________
"Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire."
—Jaya Ballard, task mage
Anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do you think Snape ever had sex? GirlUniverse General Discussion 7 04-02-2017 12:09 AM
/r/hp/: I think Snape was actually very good at teaching James The Humor Mill 36 01-10-2016 05:38 PM
Do Snape and Malfoy Jr work better as evil or good? Alexx FanFic Discussion 17 05-20-2013 09:29 AM
Canon Snape v. Fanon Snape Mordac General Discussion 71 04-21-2009 11:20 AM
Good evening, good morning, good afternoon, and hello. Theophany Introduction Archives [Closed] 4 12-21-2006 11:11 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2005 - 2016 DLP Group. All rights reserved.
No personal intellectual property on this site may be used without the credit and express permission of the respective authors.