Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > Politics
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 08-12-2014, 12:50 PM   #61
Hashasheen
Totally Sirius

http://www.understandingwar.org/site..._Reports_0.pdf

ISIS apparently issues annual reports on the state of the organization. The fuck?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portus View Post
Mind giving a description of your gran, in particular without her bifocals and dentures?

This may sound odd, but goddamn, does she sound familiar.
Hashasheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:38 PM   #62
Invictus
Heir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashasheen View Post
http://www.understandingwar.org/site..._Reports_0.pdf

ISIS apparently issues annual reports on the state of the organization. The fuck?

Holy shit, they even have infographics.
Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:03 PM   #63
Lindsey
Order Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Lindsey
Welp... this is utterly terrifying.

It's one thing to hear about the "state" being organized, it's another to see it.

If they didn't have their beliefs, they would probably be a great government.

They are going to be much harder to take down than I originally thought.
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:24 PM   #64
samkar
Temporarily Banhammered

A Clean Break: A New Strategy for Securing the Realm

and

Fourth Generation Warfare
samkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:45 PM   #65
draconian139
DA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
Holy shit, they even have infographics.

If I'm understanding it correctly the graphs were made by those doing the analysis using data from the annual reports and were not in the original reports themselves.

"The data that is presented in this backgrounder has been extracted from the tables contained in the ISIS annual reports, where it is structured first by operating area, and then by event type. We have gathered the data and compiled it into graphs to make it visually accessible. The data is represented below in the same categories that ISIS applied in its annual reports, which
leave room for broad interpretation."
Old 08-13-2014, 04:36 PM   #66
Mercenary
Dark Lord
Snake Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
Welp... this is utterly terrifying.

It's one thing to hear about the "state" being organized, it's another to see it.

If they didn't have their beliefs, they would probably be a great government.

Beliefs and their actions yeah...

In any other story this would be a triumphant story about a group of people taking control and providing security against an inept government.

But we have... Well we have ISIS.

Quote:
It may be that eventually develops into a new "axis of evil" to use a Bush term.

A hostile middle east power that may or may not cool down to the point of Iran and US relations.

Its not like the US is going to come in again with troops. We did that two times and got burned twice for it.

The good news is that Western powers, at least France and the US from what I could see from a 15 second google search, are sending military equipment and humanitarian aid to the Kurds to blunt the attack.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/u-s-o...ive-1407691810
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ira...g-isis-n179391
Old 08-13-2014, 08:36 PM   #67
Relic
High Inquisitor

Idk why this is a huge surprise. ISIS is the the best funded terrorist organization in the world. You don't get to be that way if you don't have some kind of internal organization. Al Qaeda, famously, has large amounts of bureaucracy including filling expense reports, lots of meetings, and even vacation days.

As far as ISIS goes, what they're doing is not sustainable so right now we are trying to isolate and destroy their support as much as possible. The best way to do that is exactly what everyone (including the White House) is saying: by making the national government more inclusive and not the partisan hell hole that it is now. Maliki is already on his way out the door, and his presumptive successor is somewhat of a wild card in that he is probably the quietest (internationally speaking) among the lot considered. Al-Abadi is obviously part of Dawa (due to the power-sharing agreement, where the 3 most theoretically powerful people are of each sect) but time will only tell if he follows a different mold. Hell, Maliki isn't even out the door yet, so it could get a lot messier even though most are pretty sure he won't use force to stay.

The key thing to remember is that the ISIL is an organization run and populated by bloodthirsty psychopaths. Remember, this is the organization that started when Zarqowi started to be too cray cray for Bin Laden (specifically Zawahiri, who was the deputy head and now is the head of Al-Qaeda. He exchanged lots of missives with Zarqowi) and then was ultimately killed by Americans in what was one of America's greatest strategic victories in the War on Terror. The Islamic State is not representative of the average Sunis beliefs even though they may fight with them. They see ISIL as a better alternative to the Maliki government who they think (rightfully so) is oppressing the hell out of them.

The key here is to convince the average Suni that ISIS is worse for them than the national government and you do that by fundamentally changing the current regime.
Relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:35 PM   #68
Trooper
Order Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
I think the bigger problem in the near future is going to be ISIS forming some kind of conglomerate (However iffy it is) with the Taliban. The Taliban are just itching to get back to power in Afghanistan. With the US withdrawal coming up, this looks like a tinderbox that is most probably going to be struck. I don't see any reason, apart from there being a contention with who becomes caliph in the end, that the Taliban wouldn't use ISIS reinforcements to achieve its own goals (Please correct me if I'm wrong here).

With the Shia-Sunni Sectarian conflict spreading into Libya with full force, its only a matter of time before it comes into Pakistan as well (Saudi Arabia just spent ~1.5 Billion$ into Pakistan for Pakistan's indirect support into Libya). Now that's a can of worms I don't think anybody wants to see. What with Pakistan's better late than never operation against terrorist strongholds (Zarb-e-Azb, I think its called) starting just now...
Well, I think we're up for some violent times ahead.

Continuing on this line of thought:

Quote:
The new group, known as Jamaat-e-Ahrar, is composed of disaffected Taliban factions from four of the seven tribal districts along Pakistan’s border with Afghanistan, according to a video released by the group. Counterterrorism experts said the group was effectively controlled by Omar Khalid Khorasani, an ambitious Taliban commander with strong ties to Al Qaeda.
Hard-Line Splinter Group emerges from Pakistani Taliban, Galvanized by ISIS

I suspect these guys are going to be a lot more open to working with ISIS than the mainstream (And isn't that an amusing thing?) Taliban/Al-Qaeda.

And there's some news that this shit is definitely spreading into the sub-continent, now.

This news seems legit, but I don't completely trust this source, so take it with a grain of salt:
NIA (National Investigative Agency, India) Dossier says 300 recruited from India towards both Pakistani Taliban and ISIS.
The thing to notice is that this dossier also seems to suggest that the whole of Tehreek-e-Taliban-Pakistan is supporting ISIS. This would be a very bad thing as the Pakistani army is currently fighting TTP in an almost full scale war as I mentioned in my previous post.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:39 AM   #69
Erandil
Headmaster

Huh.. Germany has decided to deliver weapons to the Kurdish. And for once they didn´t sprout nonsense for the public but clearly named the risks(weapons falling in the wrong hands, destabilization of Iraq) this includes.

Also of interest is that Lybia is completely falling apart. If I read it right it has now two parliaments (the old one and the new one in Tobruk) and none of them have any real control over the militias.
I have also heard rumblings of Egyptian and Tunisia mobilizing their forces to protect their borders.

Sometimes I truly wonder how all those dictators managed to keep their power and the peace in such countries.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:18 AM   #70
VanRopen
Auror

Quote:
Sometimes I truly wonder how all those dictators managed to keep their power and the peace in such countries.
By being the biggest, most magnificent bastards around.
VanRopen is online now   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 09-02-2014, 09:33 AM   #71
Aekiel
Order Member
Angle of Mispeling

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 9,373
Otherwise known as having a bigger stick.
Because you can't, you won't and you don't stop ~ The Beastie Muppets
Steam Profile
Aekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:08 AM   #72
Joe's Nemesis
Death Eater
High Score: 2,058

High Score: 2,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aekiel View Post
Otherwise known as having a bigger stick.
And people mock Machiavelli. We may not like it, but he was dead right on. The Prince may be benevolent in certain matters, but he must be a bastard establishing and keeping order.
Joe's Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:36 AM   #73
Erandil
Headmaster

The thing is that those despots weren´t/aren´t that smart but most of them were more than a bit crazy.

And a lot of the would be warlords in that region are cunning and ruthless without being successful at over throwing or controlling a country.