Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > Real Life Discussion
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old Yesterday, 01:51 AM   #4021
Joe's Nemesis
Order Member
High Score: 2,058

After months of academic crap sucking my soul dry, I've just written 8000 words of fanfiction. About half of them were a struggle, but the other half just flowed. Now, if I can just finish up my stories, I can move on to writing my own stories.
Old Yesterday, 08:20 AM   #4022
silentclock
Headmaster

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Woke up early on a Sunday to watch the Halle tennis championship. Federer absolutely dismantled Zverev. God, I'm excited for Wimbledon. Fed and Nadal are looking like the titans of old. Feels like it's 2008 again.
silentclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 3 thumbs up
Old Yesterday, 09:12 AM   #4023
Darth_Revan
Secret Squirrel

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentclock View Post
Woke up early on a Sunday to watch the Halle tennis championship. Federer absolutely dismantled Zverev. God, I'm excited for Wimbledon. Fed and Nadal are looking like the titans of old. Feels like it's 2008 again.
I like that they're still around and on top of their game, but honestly, it's about time there was new blood in the sport.

Peace is a lie, the greatest lie there is. The truth is strife. Struggle. Pain. Suffering.

And from that turmoil, power. The power to bend the universe to my will.

- Revan, Dark Lord of the Sith
Darth_Revan is online now   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old Yesterday, 09:23 AM   #4024
silentclock
Headmaster

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Revan View Post
I like that they're still around and on top of their game, but honestly, it's about time there was new blood in the sport.
Roger Federer is my favorite athlete, past or present. This sport or any other. Nadal has grown on me in his advanced tennis age. I'd like nothing more than for them to keep winning Slams for years to come.

But yeah, we need new blood too. All the best players are over or at least nearing 30, and nobody born in the 90s has yet amounted to much. So who is there to cheer for when the old guard moves on? Man, I don't really know.

Can Raonic develop the all purpose game to match his power? Can Dimitrov hone his considerable skills into a more tactically sound game? Will Tomic ever live up to all the promise? I almost feel like that generation of players will get skipped over entirely and that the Big Four will ultimately be supplanted by the even younger guys--Thiem and Zverev leading the way.
Old Yesterday, 11:24 AM   #4025
Xiph0
Administrator
First Tovarisch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Revan View Post
New blood has to earn their spots at the top same as Nadal did. If the oldies can still crush, then they deserve where they are quite frankly.
Xiph0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM   #4026
Darth_Revan
Secret Squirrel

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiph0 View Post
New blood has to earn their spots at the top same as Nadal did. If the oldies can still crush, then they deserve where they are quite frankly.
I'm not saying it's not impressive, it is. I'm just saying that seeing the same people in the finals year after year after year gets really boring.

Peace is a lie, the greatest lie there is. The truth is strife. Struggle. Pain. Suffering.

And from that turmoil, power. The power to bend the universe to my will.

- Revan, Dark Lord of the Sith
Darth_Revan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM   #4027
Invictus
Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiph0 View Post
Kinda. But by hogging all the spotlight and sponsor money, among other things, can be argued they're indirectly harming rookies chances of getting their day in the limelight, as the boost that winning a title gives.
Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM   #4028
Miner
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentclock View Post
Can Raonic develop the all purpose game to match his power? Can Dimitrov hone his considerable skills into a more tactically sound game? Will Tomic ever live up to all the promise? I almost feel like that generation of players will get skipped over entirely and that the Big Four will ultimately be supplanted by the even younger guys--Thiem and Zverev leading the way.
I'm surprised you haven't mentioned Kyrgios, to be honest. Like, emotional problems notwithstanding, I think that in terms of raw talent he's got the most of any of the younger guys. Of course, he could wind up being this generation's Monfils, with the talent and power but never the dedication required to win something, but he's still got time.

Raonic has been around for years, but he's not had that "great breakthrough" that we've all been waiting for. And I feel like he's just going to wind up being this generation's Berdych, with a lone Wimbledon final as well.

I really want Dimitrov to improve his consistency to the point where he could consistently play well and deep into tournaments, but since the Australian he's made like basically zero noise.

Zverev and Thiem are decently safe bets for the next top players, though. Or, at least as safe as betting Fed has another Slam in him.
I'm an Adult. I blame Drome <---- I see this.
Miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:24 PM   #4029
silentclock
Headmaster

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miner View Post
I'm surprised you haven't mentioned Kyrgios, to be honest. Like, emotional problems notwithstanding, I think that in terms of raw talent he's got the most of any of the younger guys. Of course, he could wind up being this generation's Monfils, with the talent and power but never the dedication required to win something, but he's still got time.
Kyrgios is absolutely a fair addition. Unintentional oversight on my part.

Other thing of my day: prepping for a trial that is supposed to start on Monday but will in all likelihood plead out. Nothing quite like doing work that you know is almost certainly going to be moot even as you do it.
Old Yesterday, 07:15 PM   #4030
Silens Cursor
The Chosen One
The Silencer

DLP Supporter Donor Star
TOMD: in keeping with being on vacation, I marathoned the entire Netflix series 'GLOW', which is an acronym for 'Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling'.

Trust me when I say you'll want to see it. It is something else. Also Alison Brie topless, if you need that sort of incentive.
Silens Cursor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:48 PM   #4031
Nazgus
Order Member

TOMD: Spent the little while learning how to customize my terminal and getting it to look really nice (and include the git branch). It's a small thing, but it feels nice nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menace View Post
"Be my friend, motherfucker!" Naruto howled, slamming the rasengan into Gaara's face.
When his life was ruined, his family killed, his farm destroyed, Job knelt down on the ground and yelled up to the heavens, "Why god? Why me?" and the thundering voice of God answered, "There's just something about you that pisses me off."

-Stephen King
Nazgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:37 PM   #4032
Joe's Nemesis
Order Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silens Cursor View Post
TOMD: in keeping with being on vacation, I marathoned the entire Netflix series 'GLOW', which is an acronym for 'Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling'.

Trust me when I say you'll want to see it. It is something else. Also Alison Brie topless, if you need that sort of incentive.
G.L.O.W.

I watched that as a teenager on one of the cable channels. Remember one woman snapping her arm when a flip didn't go right. They replayed it several times in slow motion.
Old Yesterday, 10:07 PM   #4033
Giovanni
The Fifth House
God of Scotch

TOMD: Finally finished unpacking boxes from the move I made while halfway across the country on a campaign. Now wife won't shut up about how there's suddenly so much stuff everywhere.

Seriously, where the fuck did she think it was going to go once it was unpacked. Into different boxes?

Quote:
Xiph0 What then?

Xiph0 Everyone needs projects.

Giovanni No long term projects except the goal of acquiring more property so that I can die.
Giovanni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:30 PM   #4034
Zenzao
Death Eater
500 Club King

High Score: 1,864
TOMD: Finally got around to some yard work that I've been putting off. Arms felt like lead by the time I was done.
Zenzao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:14 PM   #4035
Seylliani
Sixth Year

TOMD: Was told by the person in charge at a charity I volunteer at weekly to apply for a job there.
Battle Tag Ryzen#11410
Seylliani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:09 PM   #4036
Koalas
Dark Lord

DLP Supporter Donor Star
TOMD: In Vegas for a wedding. See walk in tattoo parlor. Hello Deathly Hallows tattoo.
Originally Posted by Typhon View Post
Surely an intelligent person wouldn't play so suspiciously if he was mafia?
You've obviously not played much mafia here, have you?
Koalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old Today, 07:16 PM   #4037
Oment
Minister for Magic
The Betrayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koalas View Post
TOMD: In Vegas for a wedding. See walk in tattoo parlor. Hello Deathly Hallows tattoo.
I see through your lies, you fucking Grindelwald supporter.

~R.I.P. Oz's dick, 1990-2016.~
Oment is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old Today, 07:37 PM   #4038
CheddarTrek
Set Phasers to Melt

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koalas View Post
Pics or it didn't happen.
Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. But I rather believe than time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important how we lived. After all, Number One, we're only mortal.
~Jean-Luc Picard

CheddarTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up