Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > Other Fandoms > Almost Recommended
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 03-15-2017, 07:07 AM   #1
Jarizok
Third Year

Extraordinary Times by Kenchi618 - M - X-Men

Title: Extraordinary Times
Author: Kenchi618
Rating: M
Genre: OC
Library Category: -
Pairings: -
Summary: The life of a young mutant is perilous enough on its own. Follow the experiences of a student entering the hallowed halls of the Xavier Institute for Higher Learning, learning just what it takes and what it means to count himself as one of a race that is feared and targeted by many. Welcome to the X-Men, Bellamy Marcher - Hope you survive the experience.
Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1187414...ordinary-Times

So, I saw Logan this weekend. I've never been into the comics/super hero thing before, but I rather liked the movie so I figured I'd give the fandom a try.

Since I'm not familiar with the universe anyways, giving an OC story a try could serve as an introduction to it, yeah? So, this fic was exactly what I was looking for beforehand and it had tons of favorites and follows. Read on!

(If this fic was mentioned in almost recommended or something, I couldn't find it but you have my apologies)

Onto the story then; young guy discovers he has powers, meets some Friends (of Humanity, I'm sure you guys are more familiar with them then I am), gets rescued by X-men and goes off to the institute. Cue trouble and bonding.

Not terribly original you say? I'd have to concede the point. However, it's all well written, and the protagonist is so damn likeable man. You don't even know how likeable this guy is. You're two chapters in and you're thinking, we'd be BFF's for sure if we went to school together. And it's not just the protagonist either. Obviously, the institute is a great place to design your own characters, but they're not just a a bunch of blank slates with cool mutant powers. I'm sure the teacher cast will be familiar to everyone who's ever read an X-men comic, but I can't speak to their characterization. The other kids though, they have their own personalities and they all feel real, which is hard because the author introduces a bunch of them.

So far the action scenes themselves have been good enough I guess, but the way there felt contrived to me. That's the one negative I'll leave you guys.

For me, this has been a great read and the last update was last week, so the story is alive and kicking. Definately give it a try if you like the fandom or, like me, you've seen Logan and are willing to give it a try. 4.5/5

Jarizok out. (Yes, the author does that in his ANs. I'm sure those of you who've read his Naruto/Bleach fics will know. Unless he doesn't do it there, I sure as hell don't know, I don't touch the stuff.)
Jarizok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:06 PM   #2
八十八
Squib

It's a Kenchi fic. Anyone who's read one will know what they're getting before they go in. That said, this and Less Than Zero are probably his best stories. They still tend to get bogged down with references to other series, but are overall very enjoyable if you're the kind of person who's seen Gurren Laggan 10 times and played all the Metal Gear games. Otherwise, you'll find your mileage may vary.

4.5/5 from me
八十八 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:27 AM   #3
Legend3381
Slug Club Member

I enjoy the story as well. The main character seems to have Bishop like powers. I am not sure how i feel about the first person perspective though.

I also think less than zero is one of his best stories, it too bad it is not updated regularly anymore.

4/5
Legend3381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:05 AM   #4
Quiddity
Auror

Title needs X-Men, or something similar, in it. The format for Other Review Board is slightly different:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash
Thread Titles:

Oh how we love titles. Poetic ones. Bland ones. Eccentric ones that make you question the authors morals/ethics/sanity. Just titles. Use them. Like this:

[Story Title] By [Author] - [Rating] - [Fandom]

Ex: Derper Than Herp by DerpTheUnherply - M - Herpy Derper

Post Format:

So. You want to submit stories to the DLP library. You think your tastes are refined enough for sharing with DLP. I can say you're wrong but we both know you wont listen. So at least do us the courtesy of making it easy for us to follow and know what the balls you are talking about.

Please? I mean look at all the hard work we do for you ungreatful assholes. Give something back. Follow the format:

Title: [I am a super creative example title!]
Author: [You aren't as cool as this guy.]
Rating: [Censorship Hooo! Movie and Fanfic rating systems accepted.]
Genre: [What is it? Action? Drama? Romance? TELL ME NOW]
Fandom: [Whats the sauce, Captain? Naruto? Star Wars?]
Pairings: [Who's fucking who? This does not include friendships or mentors.]
Summary: [Don't create one. Use the one posted on the sauce, be it Patronuscharm, or be it Fanfiction.net]
Link: [Where can we find it? And for god sakes, link the first chapter.]

Last edited by Quiddity; 03-21-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Quiddity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:12 AM   #5
Jarizok
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiddity View Post
Title needs X-Men, or something similar, in it. The format for Other Review Board is slightly different:

Woopsie, right you are. Can I do that myself or will I need mod assistance?
Jarizok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:33 PM   #6
Quiddity
Auror

You'll need mod assistance, I'm pretty sure. @Palindrome ?
Old 03-21-2017, 04:37 PM   #7
yak

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Taken care of.
yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 03:30 PM   #8
thejabber27
DA Member

I've been reading this on and off. It's typical Kenichi, while the plot is much improved there still seems to be a harem vibe coming from the story. 3/5
thejabber27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:48 AM   #9
Hush
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejabber27 View Post
... there still seems to be a harem vibe coming from the story.
I feel like this is a loaded assessment, multiple romantic interests doesn't mean it's a harem. He's depicting a teenage boy, they want to stick their dicks in everything... so I feel that when we have unfettered access to Sol's thoughts that it isn't unrealistic or unreasonable that he has a genuine appreciation for the females around him. I actually feel like the romance is well balanced at the moment, it's predominately used to spark playful banter. Yet the way you describe it denotes negative connotations. Interesting, different strokes I guess.

I honestly feel like Kenchi is coming into his own with his OC centric stories. He's been sticking to his strengths for his protagonists, as always, but at the same time they still feel unique.

I wasn't quite sure about the first person, but within a few chapters you won't notice that it's any different. It even starts to feel a little more personal and intimate in story telling after a while.

Kenchi has a knack for capturing the personalities of so many characters it's almost uncanny. I feel like he's really outdone himself on the world building/incorporating he's been doing with the Marvel and DC stories.

This is actually one of the few stories I actually look forward to seeing updates from. There aren't may on that list. 4.5/5
Hush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:26 PM   #10
crimson sun06
Unspeakable

Let's not kid ourselves, if you've read his other works its fairly safe to assume that this is going the harem route and if it doesn't, I, for one will be extremely surprised.

As for the story itself. Its engaging and entertaining like most of Kenchi's stories. Bellamy fits inside the X-men universe rather seamlessly which is the story's greatest strength.
3.5 rounded up.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:00 PM   #11
Tempestuous Ocean
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimson sun06 View Post
Let's not kid ourselves, if you've read his other works its fairly safe to assume that this is going the harem route and if it doesn't, I, for one will be extremely surprised.

As for the story itself. Its engaging and entertaining like most of Kenchi's stories. Bellamy fits inside the X-men universe rather seamlessly which is the story's greatest strength.
3.5 rounded up.
It has been AGES since I've read the last few chapters of Better Left Unsaid, but it wasn't 'going the harem route'. It was Naruto/Ino, right? There was someone (a princess, maybe?) trying to have her way with Naruto but nothing actually happened, if I remember correctly. Bellamy has a flirty/easy-going vibe going on, but I didn't get an obvious "harem" vibe to be honest.

Extraordinary Times is actually the first OC-centric story I've ever read and the first story -told by the first person- that I liked. It is easier to enjoy a well-written OC-centric story if you don't read much in that fandom, so maybe this is the reason I like this so much, unlike the 'good' ones from Naruto or HP fandom. Its start was capturing and the pace of the story was well balanced. Sure, there were places towards the end of the first quarter I skipped. I did read them eventually after I have become a better reader and started to enjoy the little details.

I don't know a lot about X-Men comic books and the timeline, but it didn't prevent me from enjoying the story. Or understanding it, for that matter. At first, it was a "cool" guy with cool powers trying to figure out his life. (Admittedly, I became bored with this trope pretty quickly, but this one and maybe 'Less Than Zero' remained among my favorites.)

The update rate is better than most stories', but it still causes some details to slip from my mind. I don't mind to read over most times though. It is one of the few stories I eagerly anticipate seeing an update from.

4.5/5
Tempestuous Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kenchi618, x-men