Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > Bookclub
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 03-20-2017, 05:48 AM   #1
BTT
Unspeakable

Week 21: Half-Blood Prince, Ch. 23 - 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 327
“No… well… you’d be hard-pushed to find a book at Hogwarts that’ll give you details on Horcruxes, Tom, that’s very Dark stuff, very Dark indeed,” said Slughorn
So how does he know about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 338
The tiny little Charms master was bobbing his way toward them, and Hermione was the only one who had managed to turn vinegar into wine;
Shouldn't that fall under Transfiguration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 340
turning to it, he saw the Sectumsempra spell, captioned “For Enemies,” that he had marked a few weeks previously. He had still not found out what it did, mainly because he did not want to test it around Hermione, but he was considering trying it out on McLaggen next time he came up behind him unawares.
Imagine he'd done so. That'd have been a real sight.

I forgot that Snape used Legilimency to see where Harry learned the Sectumsempra. Not like anything ever came of it, anyway. I guess that because of that, Harry learns that the Room of Requirement had loads of shit stashed inside?

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 350
A long walk in the grounds seemed indicated, during which — if they had time — they might discuss the match.
cheeky little shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 357
I asked him — one Seer to another — had he not, too, sensed the distant vibrations of coming catastrophe? But he seemed to find me almost comical.
Guess Trelawney got the last laugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 361
Do you think that I have once left the school unprotected during my absences this year? I have not. Tonight, when I leave, there will again be additional protection in place. Please do not suggest that I do not take the safety of my students seriously, Harry.
Must've been subtle protections.

You know, what if Harry took the Felix with him? More deaths, that's for sure, but maybe Dumbledore would've stayed alive just that little bit longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 374
“But how to reach it? This potion cannot be penetrated by hand, Vanished, parted, scooped up, or siphoned away, nor can it be Transfigured, Charmed, or otherwise made to change its nature.”
So transfigure its basin? Or just dump it out all over the floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 393
A jet of green light shot from the end of Snape’s wand and hit Dumbledore squarely in the chest.
Harry’s scream of horror never left him; silent and unmoving, he was forced to watch as Dumbledore was blasted into the air: for a split second he seemed to hang suspended beneath the shining skull, and then he fell slowly backwards, like a great rag doll, over the battlements and out of sight.
Dumbledore making Harry watch him die is a real dick move. You can ask if he could've done something else, but it's Dumbledore. (Real question is if Harry not seeing Dumbledore die would make for a better story, honestly.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 395
His jinx hit Amycus in the chest: He gave a piglike squeal of pain, was lifted off his feet and slammed into the opposite wall, slid down it, and fell out of sight behind Ron, Professor McGonagall, and Lupin, each of whom was battling a separate Death Eater.
Ron battles a Death Eater all by himself. Just wanted to put that out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 404
“Harry, what happened? According to Hagrid you were with Professor Dumbledore when he — when it happened. He says Professor Snape was involved in some —”
“Snape killed Dumbledore,” said Harry.
Considering this became a meme, the fact Harry repeats that over and over like a mantra's pretty hilarious.

God, this whole romantic development happening right after Dumbledore's death. Really muddles the conclusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 420
The castle ghosts were there too, barely visible in
the bright sunlight, discernible only when they moved, shimmering insubstantially in the
gleaming air.
So they can leave the physical castle. Wonder how far, though.

Wonder who did the funeral speech. Don't think wizards have priests.
BTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:10 AM   #2
Atram Noctem
High Inquisitor

Yes, Harry saw the diadem in the RoR.

Quote:
"What I don't understand, though — just out of curiosity — I mean, would one Horcrux be much use? Can you only split your soul once? Wouldn't it be better, make you stronger, to have your soul in more pieces,"
No, Tom, that's insane.
Quote:
"He made seven Horcruxes?" said Harry, horror-struck, while several of the portraits on the walls made similar noises of shock and outrage.
Well, if they all die, at least the portraits will remember.
Quote:
he used Nagini to kill an old Muggle man
No, Dumbledore, he used a Killing Curse.
Quote:
'Professor Snape made a terrible mistake. He was still in Lord Voldemort's employ on the night he heard the first half of Professor Trelawney's prophecy. Naturally, he hastened to tell his master what he had heard, for it concerned his master most deeply. But he did not know - he had no possible way of knowing - which boy Voldemort would hunt from then onwards
How does that matter? he still condemned an innocent baby to death.
Of course, we know that he only cared about Lily, but from Harry's point of view it still sounds like a dumb excuse.
And he has the nerve to torment Harry for every little thing. Man, fuck Snape.
Quote:
Tonight, when I leave, there will again be additional protection in place. Please do not suggest that I do not take the safety of my students seriously, Harry.'
Considering that those additional protections would not have prevented Greyback from biting a few children, and that several students almost died because of Malfoy's plan (which he allowed), I'd say you do.
Quote:
'But what will people think when they see you leaving, Professor?' Harry asked, his mind on Malfoy and Snape.
'That I am off into Hogsmeade for a drink,' said Dumbledore lightly. 'I sometimes offer Rosmerta my custom, or else visit the Hog's Head... or I appear to. It is as good a way as any of disguising one's true destination.
Not as good as just making yourself invisible, like you told Harry to do, and not letting anyone know you've left the castle.
Though, I guess considering all the drinking in this book, no one would doubt he went for a drink.
Quote:
"Petrificus Totalus!" Harry bellowed again, backing away as he swiped his wand through the air; six or seven of them crumpled, but more were coming toward him.
Man, that's a pretty good body-bind spell.
Quote:
"And Dumbledore believed that?" said Lupin incredulously. "Dumbledore believed Snape was sorry James was dead? Snape hated James..."
"And he didn't think my mother was worth a damn either," said Harry, "because she was Muggle-born... 'Mudblood,' he called her..."
No Lupin, don't tell him that they were once actually friends, you wouldn't want to spoil Rowling's grand revelation.

Well this book was crap.

Last edited by Atram Noctem; 03-20-2017 at 09:22 AM.
Atram Noctem is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 03-21-2017, 05:37 AM   #3
brad
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atram Noctem View Post
Quote:
"And Dumbledore believed that?" said Lupin incredulously. "Dumbledore believed Snape was sorry James was dead? Snape hated James..."
"And he didn't think my mother was worth a damn either," said Harry, "because she was Muggle-born... 'Mudblood,' he called her..."
No Lupin, don't tell him that they were once actually friends, you wouldn't want to spoil Rowling's grand revelation.
Ah, yet another example of Rowling deliberately lying to her readers just so she could spring a 'surprise' later on; I didn't know this one. Such lazy and deceitful writing!
brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:00 AM   #4
Shinysavage
Death Eater
Madman With A Box

High Score: 2,296
Chapter 23: Horcruxes

Quote:
not seven Horcruxes: six
You fucking liar! Yes, I know that technically, Voldemort didn't make the Horcrux in Harry, and it's not quite the same thing, but still.

Quote:
It will take uncommon skill and power to kill a wizard like Voldemort
I suppose, from a certain point of view, knowledge of wandlore is a skill...it's certainly uncommon.

Quote:
you have never been seduced by the Dark Arts, never, even fr a second, shown the slightest desire to become one of Voldemort's followers!
Which some fans could do with remembering (Dark!Harry I can understand, even if it's not something I especially go for, but I've never got the fics that turn Harry into Voldemort's ally - at least without significant changes to Voldemort himself).

Chapter 24: Sectumsempra

Quote:
page and a half of Harry thinking about Ginny and how to get close to her
For all that it's dismissed as coming out of nowhere (with some justification) I don't remember there being this much about Harry's budding feelings for Cho.

Quote:
He could not help feeling that if they won by more than three hundred points, the scenes of euphoria and a nice loud after-match party might be just as good as a hearty swig of Felix Felicis.
Harry as Seer again. Also, where do we stand morally on using a luck potion to swing the odds of getting off with someone? Clearly not as dodgy as a Love Potion, but it's not entirely innocent, to my mind. Kind of like posting a dishonest profile on a dating site, or something.

Quote:
Harry kisses Ginny
You know what? This scene is cliched, cheesy, shamelessly melodramatic along the lines of so many crap Hollywood romcoms...and I love it. It puts a smile on my face every time I read it. I'll hand in my DLP badge now.

Chapter 25: The Seer Overhead

Quote:
Tonight, when I leave, there will again be additional protection in place
So, quick poll, and working on the assumption that this doesn't just mean members of the Order patrolling the castle (as I think it's been implied that's happening whether he's there or not):
1) There were additional protections, but Draco and the Death Eaters overcame them.
2) There were additional protections, but Snape took them down to allow Draco's plan to work.
3) There were no additional protections, because Dumbledore knew Draco was ready to go with the plan.

Quote:
Dumbledore stepped back from the cave wall and pointed his wand at the rock. For a moment, an arched outline appeared there, blazing white as though there was a powerful light behind the crack.
What's the house-elf for friend, then?

Quote:
I think it unlikely that your powers will register next to mine
Where's Taure to clarify the whole magical power thing when you need him?

Chapter 27: The Lightning-struck Tower

Quote:
Your father is safe in Azkaban
Really? We're calling Azkaban safe now?

Chapter 29: The Phoenix Lament

Quote:
Personally, I don't think we're in more danger at Hogwarts than we are anywhere else
Well...

Quote:
"Well, I'm stayin'," said Hagrid
No you're not. Not for long, anyway.

Chapter 30: The White Tomb

Quote:
Tonks, her hair miraculously returned to vividest pink
Just in time for a funeral! Although in fairness, I guess Dumbledore would have been fine with it.

Quote:
Harry laying out his plan for a Horcrux hunt, such as it is
Well, Ron and Hermione can't say they weren't warned. And neither can the readers.