Dark Lord Potter Forums Dark Lord Potter Forums  

Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > Almost Recommended
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donor Bar
PatronusCharm Banner

Old 01-14-2017, 08:34 PM   #1
Revlisflow
Muggle

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - by Kathryn518 - M - HP/SW

Title: I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Author: Kathryn518
Rating: M
Genre: Adventure Comedy
Library Category: The Alternatives
Pairings: None so far, but looking like future Harry/many
Summary:Ahsoka Tano left the Jedi Order, walking away after their betrayal. She did not consider the consequences of what her actions might bring, or the danger she might be in. A chance run in with a single irreverent, and possibly crazy, person in a bar changes the course of fate for an entire galaxy.

Link:Link

I'm going to honest here. This is an overpowered Harry story. Immortal Master of Death, can cause natural disasters with magic. And a pervert. Flirting and making innuendo with just about every female.

That being said, there is a lot of comedy here. Constant pranks and joking. Harry thumbing his nose at the Jedi Order. Dobby is also in the story and that little bugger is always doing or saying something hilarious.

And despite all of the crass jokes and flirting, the romance seems to be developing at a believable pace. After 15 chapters, 300k words and around 3 months in story time, there has only been the beginnings of developing feelings, and no telling when anyone will start to act on those feelings. It is looking to be a Harry/multi, but the author as stated that just because a female character is added to the story, does not mean they and Harry will hook up.

It's a long story, reasonably well written, hilarious. So far Harry being overpowered kinda lowers the danger they can be in, but there are still a number of good action scenes. I give it a 4 of 5.

Last edited by Revlisflow; 01-14-2017 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Forgot to rate.
Revlisflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 09:34 PM   #2
Republic
Minister for Magic
The Snow Queen

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlisflow View Post

I'm going to honest here. This is an overpowered Harry story.
Always a good sign.
Quote:
Immortal Master of Death,
Could potentially work I suppose.
Quote:
can cause natural disasters with magic.
Eh ... I could maybe kinda see it ... I guess.
Quote:
And a pervert. Flirting and making innuendo with just about every female.
Ah. It's that kind of story. Right then.

Quote:
That being said, there is a lot of comedy here.
Oh? Do go on.
Quote:
Constant pranks and joking.
Ah, yes. Carrying on the family heritage of pranking, no doubt. Because we all know Harry is a joker and prankster by nature. Nothing like a good, over the top practical joke and cringy jokes from unfunny authors to make a good story.

Quote:
Harry thumbing his nose at the Jedi Order.
My personal favorite! Thumping your nose at whichever body of people represent authority and some measure of stability and control. The perfect way to show how independent and rebellious a character is. I'm practically sold already.
Quote:
Dobby is also in the story and that little bugger is always doing or saying something hilarious.
If I wasn't sold before, I am now. Immortal Dobby is certainly a fine addition to any decent fanfic.
Quote:
After 15 chapters, 300k words and around 3 months in story time, there has only been the beginnings of developing feelings, and no telling when anyone will start to act on those feelings.
Impeccable pacing! Nice and detailed, and probably to be abandoned well before the author has to write anything actually resembling an actual, meaningful relationship, which is probably too much to ask of someone with presumably no exposure to any such.

Really, you're amazing at selling stories. This one sounds like a proper gem.
Step 3) Declare yourself best in the fandom.
Step 4) Bask.
My life, for Aiur... ... For the Alliance
Steam Profile.

Permanently tilted

Last edited by Republic; 01-14-2017 at 09:45 PM.
Republic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 09:37 PM   #3
Rehio
Denarii Host

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic View Post
Always a good sign.

Could potentially work I suppose.

Eh ... I could maybe kinda see it ... I guess.

Ah. It's that kind of story. Right then.

Oh? Do go on.

Ah, yes. Carrying on the family heritage of pranking, no doubt. Because we all know Harry is a joker and prankster by nature. Nothing like a good, over the top practical joke and cringy jokes from unfunny authors to make a good story.

My personal favorite! Thumping your nose at whichever body of people represent authority and some measure of stability and control. The perfect way to show how independent and rebellious a character is. I'm practically sold already.

If I wasn't sold before, I am now. Immortal Dobby is certainly a fine adittion to any decent fanfic.

Impeccable pacing! Nice and detailed, and probably to be abandoned well before the author has to write anything actually resembling an actual, meaningful relationship, which is probably too much to ask of someone with presumably no exposure to any such.

Really, you're amazing at selling stories. This one sounds like a proper gem.
This post was better than the story.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:01 PM   #4
Gene
Third Year

It had some potential, and then, quite suddenly, it squandered it. I suspect the death knell was Harry teaching star wars characters magic, but it might have been the polygamy.

2/5; it's at least somewhat competently written, and had a few good ideas.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 12:50 AM   #5
Jon
Administrator
The Ḑ͉͙̫̑̂ͮ̎̍͒̽̉̆̀ͅȇ̱̯̘̖̾͐͐͂͢m̴̢͙̟̤̤̝̍ͫ͂̏̒́͘o̒n

Send a message via Skype™ to Jon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
It had some potential, and then, quite suddenly, it squandered it.
That's the consensus on IRC. It's the reason I started writing Equilibrium, because the author was doing it wrong.

FFN Profile || WUBBA LUBBA DUB DUB || Patronus

"Jon's fics are kinda like children in a way.
Bright, pretty, smart—children that any father would kill to have.
And he just tells them he needs to buy a pack of cigarettes."

—Lungs, 2015
Jon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 02:00 AM   #6
Anarchy
Prisoner

DLP Supporter Donor Star
This story is really bad. I've tried to read it a few times and have never gotten more than half way in, and my eyes glaze over for a large amount of it. I just don't like the actual story telling, and it's very formulaic. You have Harry doing something super awesome (magicwank nonsense is how its portrayed). Then, you immediately have 3 things happening in response - 1) Ahsoka is completely okay with it and excited to see something new. 2) Aayla is conflicted in her feelings. 3)Jedi are condemning of whatever it is. Rinse and repeat for every single chapter and every single thing Harry does.
Old 01-15-2017, 03:18 AM   #7
Trig
Auror

This story could have been written by Jeconais—it's bad, but I'm still going to read the next chapter.

Trig is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 01-15-2017, 04:46 AM   #8
Snapdragon
DA Member

It had potential but all these long meaningless dialogues, lack of pacing/tension and eccentric but boring Harry killed that somewhere. This and her DC story suffer from far too many useless characters. Her chapter sizes are surely top notch.

----
Unfortunately she seems to have given up on "I'm still here". IMHO clearly her best work as it has a plot which flows, substance and really interesting characters(Flamels) I can overlook a few inconsistencies and some looming weaknesses. She actually managed to write an interesting, tragic and believable Draco.
Snapdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 06:18 AM   #9
DrSarcasm
Auror

I came across this story earlier. The fact that the third paragraph had Ahsoka jealously comparing her bust to that of the bartenders threw up a red flag for me that this story wasn't going to go anywhere important, interesting, or intelligent.
DrSarcasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:08 AM   #10
Donimo
Third Year

As with all Kathryn518 fics I read it, but I don't like it.
Donimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:54 AM   #11
Pirazy
Groundskeeper

Surprised Harry hasn't died from asphyxiation due to how high he's stacked his soapboxes.

It's guilty pleasure at best and written in the same slightly annoying style as the authors timetravel/alternate dimension fic where it just drones on and on for thousands of words but fucking nothing of interest is happening. I'll just recycle that line I used for that fic since it appears to fit everything the author has ever written.

"Never before has so little been said with so many words."
Old 01-16-2017, 11:13 AM   #12
Deftex
Second Year

It's a SW/HP crossover. That's pretty much all it has going for it besides the chapter length which doesn't matter much since it's basically all spent with Harry/Dobby/His 2 wives' portraits/the Sorting Hat making references no Star Wars character will understand or him adding some new character to his growing harem.

Please.
Deftex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:31 AM   #13
Thaumologist
Minister for Magic

It's like a Noodlehammer fic. If you can turn your brain off, and just enjoy the ride, it's not too bad.

There's a lot of ideas, and the author is definitely familiar with the setting, which is always a plus. Also, the writing is technically decent, and typos are rare. Chapters are big, but don't come that frequently, which is a bit of a let down.

It's no masterpiece, but we'e all read worse.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:27 PM   #14
Peter North
Supreme Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaumologist View Post
It's like a Noodlehammer fic. If you can turn your brain off, and just enjoy the ride, it's not too bad.

There's a lot of ideas, and the author is definitely familiar with the setting, which is always a plus. Also, the writing is technically decent, and typos are rare. Chapters are big, but don't come that frequently, which is a bit of a let down.

It's no masterpiece, but we'e all read worse.
Noodlehammer seems to have a better grasp of the English language though.

This same author has three other new fics started witch are a bit of a chore to read, and all of her fics in general bash Dumbledore and the Wizarding world up the wazoo.

At best this fic is a 2 star fic and after how many thousands of words the plot has barely moved forward at all.
Yer a wizard 'arry. First we'll get yeh wand and then they'll be the sortin' - Good fun, tha'. Then it's off to Liberia to transfigure Ebola-stained bedsheets into treacle tart... Ohh shouldna told yeh that. Should NOT have told yeh that. ~ Vlad
Peter North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:42 PM   #15
Majube
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter North View Post
Noodlehammer seems to have a better grasp of the English language though.

This same author has three other new fics started witch are a bit of a chore to read.
Complains about language and has incorrect grammar themselves
The story's alright I guess, as a time-waster. I'd rate it no more then 3 for original ideas.
So I've only watched 3 star wars movies, how is the crossover stuff for those who know it well?

Last edited by Majube; 01-16-2017 at 10:46 PM.
Majube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:46 PM   #16
Peter North
Supreme Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majube View Post
Complains about language and has incorrect grammar themselves
The story's alright I guess, as a time-waster. I'd rate it no more then 3.5 for original ideas.
So I've only watched 3 star wars movies, how is the crossover stuff for those who know it well?
I've never claimed to be great at spelling and grammar myself, but some things are glaringly obvious.
Yer a wizard 'arry. First we'll get yeh wand and then they'll be the sortin' - Good fun, tha'. Then it's off to Liberia to transfigure Ebola-stained bedsheets into treacle tart... Ohh shouldna told yeh that. Should NOT have told yeh that. ~ Vlad
Old 01-16-2017, 04:03 PM   #17
Majube
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter North View Post
I've never claimed to be great at spelling and grammar myself, but some things are glaringly obvious.
Would you say that's what made the difference between 2/5 and 3/5 for you?
Majube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:04 PM   #18
Peter North
Supreme Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majube View Post
Would you say that's what made the difference between 2/5 and 3/5 for you?
Yes I would say so. Part of spelling and grammar is being able to get your idea across without being too long winded and not being to short with your writing either. I find that in some of her battle scenes I have to go back and reread parts of the dialog to follow who is speaking to who and who gets killed.

If she was able to clean that up more I'd seriously consider moving my rating up to 4/5 stars. To me 3/5 stars means that I can read a fic without having to go back and reread it to understand what the author is saying even if the cliches are a bit much.

Last edited by Peter North; 01-16-2017 at 04:10 PM.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 01-16-2017, 05:48 PM   #19
Hymsicality
Second Year

It's ostensibly focused on romance but it's been 300,000 words of blushing and a whole lot of nothing but collecting his future harem. Also, harem, really? This is Harry standing on his soapbox changing everything that his students believe until they inevitably become pale imitations of himself; it's narcissism at best, sexual grooming at worst. But beyond even that it's just boring. 1/5
Hymsicality is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 01-16-2017, 09:21 PM   #20
Lord Ravenclaw
Administrator
System God

Ho-hum everything goes Harry's way harem fic. It had so much potential and wasted it within the first 100k words. If you're going to build a harem, you might as well just go for it. I like the way @Hymsicality put it, "300k words of blushing" because that's exactly what it's been. The cringey sexual harassment version of Harry just hurts to read and the plot (just like Harry's relationships, not to mention his immense baggage) is going nowhere. You could say The Empire is the antagonist but there's really been no movement on that front beyond the Kashyyyak incident which was boring as it was forgettable.

2/5, because it's still readable if you're wanting to waste a day, but there's many other things you could be doing. Like watching paint dry.

Despite this I still read the updates, much to my despair.

Tags
author: kathryn518, crossover, harry/many, hp/star wars, star wars