Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Great Hall > Hall of Shame > Introduction Archives [Closed]
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP PatronusCharm Banner

Old 09-01-2008, 09:18 AM   #1
Melreys
Muggle

New stick stuck in the mud...

Hi, I'm Melreys, both here and on Fanfiction. Occasionally you might find me by a different name on an old site, but the list of them is starting to dwindle a bit. I've only been around the net two years and some though, so am hardly an elder by any standards.

I was redirected to this site yesterday when trying to find some gory linked fic on LJ, and decided to poke around it awhile, checking the general population out. Don't think my slash shipping views, my gender or my age are going to be very popular with all the warnings, but hey, even if I get torn and abused and banished from this holy place forever at least I'll know to steer clear next time.

Maybe I could work on the optimism, too.

Anyway- I'm fairly interested in HP/Lord of the Rings crossovers as of now, even though most in the general population are few and complete crap. However, there's a fairly good WIP by Hoshi-Tachi, The Boy and the Ring, that I recommend if anyone's interested.

My shippings are few and many. I generally avoid writing purely the romance genre personally, but when interested will pair literally everything 'cept Harry, Ron and Hermione within each other. Oh, and I don't do the Ginny thing either. Laughably, the best romance fic I've ever read was about Luna and a Threstal, but luckily I can't remember the title off the top of my head.

At the moment I'm working on my first real sort of HP fic, The Statue of Secrecy, but I think I'm going to need a beta for it because what i've written so far barely 4k words and the plot's all over the place. Maybe I'm just being modest but one chapter and no reviews doesn't exactly spell much for my writing being anything special.

On the topic special writing, no, I don't have a favorite fic. I guess it's because there are so many good fics out there, along with not so good ones, and picking one fic over another would be like putting another good fic down. But I guess if I must choose then I'll go along with the MarySue bashers and say 'A Mary Sue Alphabet' by Irony-Chan.

So, that's me in a nutshell. The ever-redundant Melreys. In real life I'm a bit of a loner - I have friends, but they're not exactly my arms and legs - and am obsessed with whatever books are latest in Angus and Robertson. (Most of the time it's the ideas from books that I love rather than the books written themselves, thus I fandom everything from the unlikely Hybrids to Pendragon to His Dark Materials to ick, Twilight of all things horrendous...)

I play Hockey and have done a few Archery courses. Live in Sydney, Australia but have moved a few times.

You'd better post back lest the Evil, Rabid, Teenage, Fangirl slips through your fingertips...
Old 09-01-2008, 11:05 AM   #2
Sorrows

Welcome, you have a nice writing style, so long as you never mention your slash preferences again you should be OK. A good HP/Lotr is 'The Black Wizard' which I think is in the library.

'Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.'
Terry Pratchett

Old 09-01-2008, 12:33 PM   #3
Giovanni
God of Magic

She used the word "lest" in a post -- and she used it correctly -- so she sounds like she'll fit in here.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:48 PM   #4
Hawthorne

I like her. Can I have her? Please!

Old 09-01-2008, 01:55 PM   #5
kalantha
Fourth Year

Now, now Hawt you know that you can't go stealing new members. Anyways, welcome Melreys you seem a decent type. Liking slash is cool as long as you don't post slash fics in the library. I think you'll fit in just fine.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:56 PM   #6
Lyndon Eye
Dark Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melreys View Post
I fandom everything from the unlikely Hybrids to Pendragon to His Dark Materials to ick, Twilight of all things horrendous...)
Twilight? Really? I picked up the book and read it the other day. It actually seemed really great (nice, captivating writing and everything) until I finished, and then thought about it.

And then realized how utterly stupid the plot/characters are.

So I can understand the fascination with it, but don't believe it's deserved in the literary sense at all.

Anyway, you seem like you'll fit in just fine. A warm "Welcome to DLP " from me.

Edit: Oh, almost forgot. If you need help with your story, just go on IRC. There's lot's of great writers there that can give you feedback.

-Oscar Wilde

Last edited by Lyndon Eye; 09-01-2008 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:28 PM   #7
Perspicacity
God of Magic
Rosicrucian

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalantha View Post
Now, now Hawt you know that you can't go stealing new members. Anyways, welcome Melreys you seem a decent type. Liking slash is cool as long as you don't post slash fics in the library. I think you'll fit in just fine.
I wouldn't go that far. (Maybe replace "cool" with "tolerable"). You may find the forum somewhat less accommodating in terms of hawt guy-on-guy action outside the Intro threads.

Anyway, to the OP, welcome to DLP. I read your chapter and left you a review. (Summary version: It's not a bad start, but it does need to be cleaned up some. Oh, and your title is misspelled).
Old 09-01-2008, 02:41 PM   #8
Taure
God of Magic
~Soap Box~

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
the best romance fic I've ever read was about Luna and a Threstal
You win for just that sentence. InternalBleeding!Luna is the best kind, in my opinion.

Also, Lady Sorrows, the Black Wizard is terrible. It breaks the first two rules of crossovers.

Rule 1. When sending a character from one fandom to another, never send another character with him. The crossover hero is a lone one.

Rule 2. Crossovers should always be one way (returning at the end of the fic is acceptable).

Rule 3. Never massively overpower one fandom over another.

Rule 4. Never cross more than 2 fandoms at once.

Rule 5. When crossing over entire worlds, and not just characters, they must be compatible.

Rule 6. When crossing over entire worlds, do not mix up the characters too much. For example: Buffy and the Scoobies should never be found within the halls of Hogwarts.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:04 PM   #9
NataliaGAG
Third Year

Quote:
I like her too! Can we share?
Old 09-01-2008, 03:38 PM   #10
Sorrows

Taure I did not mean it is all that good in regards to other crossovers in general, just that it is vastly superior to the other HP/LotR crossovers, its even finished.

Shares of Melrays going at £5 per body part, get them while there warm.

'Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.'
Terry Pratchett

Last edited by Sorrows; 09-01-2008 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:52 PM   #11
Lincos
Order Member

DLP Supporter Donor Star
This is the kinda nice nice DLP the we aren't. Her mention of liking and shipping slash should be met with intolerance and flaming.

Here you go Melreys

Old 09-01-2008, 04:16 PM   #12
Sorrows

Quote:
Don't think my slash shipping views
That is all she said on the matter, she didn't go 'OMG I luv HP/DM and HP/SS its teh best1!!' so long as leaves it at that then there is no reason to flame the hell out of her.
However if she tries to defend it, (or even mentions mpreg) then she is fair game.

Terry Pratchett

Old 09-01-2008, 04:30 PM   #13
NataliaGAG
Third Year

She wouldn't. She seems pretty smart.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:37 PM   #14
kalantha
Fourth Year

Perspicacity, oh psh oldie. Keep up with the slang, by cool I meant tolerable.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:12 PM   #15
Perspicacity
God of Magic
Rosicrucian

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalantha View Post
Perspicacity, oh psh oldie. Keep up with the slang, by cool I meant tolerable.
Heh. First time I've been called an "oldie". (My account's not even been active a year).
Old 09-01-2008, 08:37 PM   #16
The DarIm
Professor

Send a message via MSN to The DarIm Send a message via Yahoo to The DarIm
Quote:
Laughably, the best romance fic I've ever read was about Luna and a Threstal, but luckily I can't remember the title off the top of my head.
How is it lucky? Personally I hope you could remember that one, I'd be very interested as to how that came about. Anything that...perverse deserves admiration.

Welcome to DLP.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:46 PM   #17
Nuhuh
Dastardly Shadow Mod
Lasciel's Right

Send a message via MSN to Nuhuh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perspicacity View Post
Heh. First time I've been called an "oldie". (My account's not even been active a year).
That's probably because Kalantha is 9 1/2 years old and nearly everyone is an oldie to her. You should see the trouble she gives 11 year olds.

and why are the women after this new chick? My theory is correct all girls on the net are Bi.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:54 PM   #18
Melreys
Muggle

It's better being called an oldie than a newbie, Perspicacity. That reminds me, I really should get my post count up, hmm...

Quote:
I like her too! Can we share?
You'll probably get sick of me when you realise how much I talk- mostly about myself. I'm afraid that'll have the share market going down, so I'd lower the stock prices at least two pounds if I were you, Lady Shadows. To self: Maybe I can get away before they hit the ten pound mark...

And I completely agree with your rules of Crossovers, Taure, assuming they're yours. If I were to quote each one and add a little comment this post would probably get way too long and too confusing, unfortunately. Parodys and humour fics - and those nasties where they war two or more worlds together in a supposedly humorous way - I have also thus come to avoid in the Lotr/HP crossover worlds 'cause they're so badly written, but I'm open to reading practically anything in the section, just because there are so few crossovers of the sort around. What was that fic suggested again...?

Quote:
That is all she said on the matter, she didn't go 'OMG I luv HP/DM and HP/SS its teh best1!!' so long as leaves it at that then there is no reason to flame the hell out of her.
However if she tries to defend it, (or even mentions mpreg) then she is fair game.
Quote:
This is the kinda nice nice DLP the we aren't. Her mention of liking and shipping slash should be met with intolerance and flaming.
I sort of knew this would happen. (I have astonishing powers in Divination, you see, and past seeing the untimely demise of your persons, I just know things without explanation.) But as of right now there's a bargain of sorts: I won't mention it, let a couple of stray comments fly, and you won't flame me to the nether rejions of hell. So maybe I just made that bargain up, but whatever. It sound okay? Okay!

Though I would be happy to strike up a flame war somewhere else, if you insist. To your immense surprise I'm sure Lincos, I had already read that thread. Kind of outrageous of me to still continue here with it all, but what can I say, I'm a bowl of surprises.

And by the way, since you asked, Lady Sorrows, no mpreg. That's a bit too... gross.

PS: This doesn't count as defending. I think. Hope. Even if it is, I have to have some sort of moral standard on stuff, and being crushed into an avoiding corner isn't going to help the situation at all, as painful and entertaining as it might be...
Old 09-01-2008, 08:57 PM   #19
Poytin
DLP's Official Poytin

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
rejions
>.<

Other than that... welcome. Also... find that Luna/Thestral story again and give us the link.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:00 PM   #20
Sorrows

Quote:
Lady Shadows
-_-

/filler/
filler/

Terry Pratchett

Last edited by Sorrows; 09-01-2008 at 09:12 PM.