Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > Multimedia > Books and Anime Discussion
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP PatronusCharm Banner

Old 08-19-2011, 06:41 PM   #241
Republic
God of Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Stojil View Post
I didn't read the whole thread, but judging by the fact there are twelve pages, I'm guessing DLP liked this series, generally speaking...
Yes, yes it did.
Quote:
Anyway, can you guys tell me if the later books and the grown-up characters
Grown up characters? Where?

Quote:
If you still didn't get it, I was far from impressed by the first book. I started the second and had to stop before I smashed the screen in rage. Judging by my questions, should I swallow what would be a temporary storm of murdering thoughts and continue reading?
You shouldn't. You should stop reading now, because it's still the same series, and it doesn't become a different series at any point along the way.

Step 1) Find obscure/empty fandom.
Step 2) Write a decent, not-terrible fic.
Step 3) Declare yourself best in the fandom.
Step 4) Bask.
Republic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 02:38 PM   #242
Uncle Stojil
Order Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic21 View Post
Yes, yes it did.

Grown up characters? Where?
I mean the main characters in the later books, when they'll supposedly be older. Percy is twelve in Lightning Thief and thirteen in Sea of Monsters. I'm guessing he'll be fourteen in the third book, fifteen in the fourth and sixteen in the fifth. He and every single one of his fellow demigods (plus the satyr) are annoying bordering on insufferable in the Lightning Thief and in the first part of the Sea of Monsters. Do they grow out of it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic21 View Post
You should stop reading now, because it's still the same series, and it doesn't become a different series at any point along the way.

That's not what I asked. That 'same' series would be great... if it got better.

Uncle Stojil
Uncle Stojil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:17 PM   #243
awinarock
Dark Lord

Quote:
Anyway, can you guys tell me if the later books and the grown-up characters become less annoying than in the Lightning Thief and (the beginning of) the Sea of Monsters? Does the writing change or stay as dry? What about the plot? Does it remain as childish and telegraphed?
Uncle Stojil
I can't really tell you if the characters become less annoying as that's a matter of opinion, but I will say that they all do mature somewhat. There is one character that will probably make you want to rip your book in half: Thalia. She seems to be a universally hated character, though even she matures to the point where she's tolerable.

The plot progresses in the same manner as Harry Potter. It gets darker and more gritty as it goes along, but it's still a children's book, so there's isn't anything mind blowing.

It also stays relatively telegraphed. You can pretty much predict most of what's to happen, though there are some things that may catch you by surprise. Again, don't expect anything mind blowing.

Quote:
If you still didn't get it, I was far from impressed by the first book. I started the second and had to stop before I smashed the screen in rage. Judging by my questions, should I swallow what would be a temporary storm of murdering thoughts and continue reading?
I'm of the opinion that you should, just to give the whole series a chance, but if you continue to feel that it's just fucking terrible even after reading Titan's Curse, you should probably just stop.

-Big Red
awinarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:28 PM   #244
Uncle Stojil
Order Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by awinarock View Post
I can't really tell you if the characters become less annoying as that's a matter of opinion, but I will say that they all do mature somewhat. There is one character that will probably make you want to rip your book in half: Thalia. She seems to be a universally hated character, though even she matures to the point where she's tolerable.
I somewhat suspected that the tree would return to be the girl (Terry Brooks docet), but great job spoiling it for me, awinarock. Thanks for the rest of your answer, I guess... I dunno if I'll pick the series up again.

Uncle Stojil
Uncle Stojil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:43 PM   #245
awinarock
Dark Lord

Quote:
I somewhat suspected that the tree would return to be the girl (Terry Brooks docet), but great job spoiling it for me, awinarock. Thanks for the rest of your answer, I guess... I dunno if I'll pick the series up again.

Uncle Stojil
I don't see how I spoiled it. I never said anything about the Thalia and the tree. For all you know, she could be any random character.

-Big Red
awinarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:36 PM   #246
Thaumologist
Headmaster

I enjoyed them all, but only for a "oh god I just re-read The Dresden Files, and haven't yet heard of DLP so most fanfiction I've found is only readable once if at all" read. I read one a night, every night, and finished the series. It was mehish. I smiled a few times, and didn't hate the words.

But I wouldn't buy the books for myself.
"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference"

Jim Butcher
Thaumologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:30 AM   #247
Nemrut

Apparently, they release a new character from "The Son of Neptune" each week until the release of the book.

If you guys are interested, here is the link to the first one, who is named Frank. (Kind of a lame name but maybe that's the point)

http://disney.go.com/?section=PMPage...mpus&key=frank

Can't really say much about the character, barely anything is revealed. It should be fun to see how this systematically destroys various fanfiction of people who made up new characters or who painted the characters whose names were known in a specific and wrong way.

Signature done by sparda

Nemrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 08-31-2011, 01:58 PM   #248
Nemrut

New character revealed:

http://disney.go.com/official-sites/...-olympus/reyna

This time Reyna and apparently she has two dogs. Really hit or miss with this. At least none of the fanfictions I've read got this right xD

Signature done by sparda

Old 09-02-2011, 10:06 AM   #249
Zeitgeist
Order Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemrut View Post
New character revealed:

http://disney.go.com/official-sites/...-olympus/reyna

This time Reyna and apparently she has two dogs. Really hit or miss with this. At least none of the fanfictions I've read got this right xD
Hm, who do you think is Reyna's Olympian parent? Judging from that picture, I'm guessing maybe Mercury? I'm really not sure. O.o;; Anyway, completely psyched for Son of Neptune. I haven't been this excited since the release of the DH movie. =3

+Nominated for 2012 Annual Game Music Awards

SURVIVOR: DLP - Outwit, Outplay, Outlast||STAR WARS: A Mafia Variant||Meta Mafia: Slumber Party [FEMMAFIA]||STAR WARS III: A Mafia Variant||Under the Same Sky - A Pokémon Story//
DIGIMON ADVENTURE. Goodbye, childhood. //Have Courage, Protect Friendship, Continue to Love, Show Sincerity, Gather Knowledge, Endeavour for Reliability, Hold Hope, Shine Light, Express Kindness||
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 09-02-2011, 10:35 AM   #250
silverlasso
Dark Lord

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Fuck, Rick Riordan is such a cocktease. WE HATE/LOVE YOU, RR.

I will say that these characters are already 1000x better than any fanfiction versions.

♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙
♖ ♘ ♗ ♕ ♔ ♗ ♘ ♖
silverlasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:27 PM   #251
Nemrut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
Hm, who do you think is Reyna's Olympian parent? Judging from that picture, I'm guessing maybe Mercury? I'm really not sure. O.o;; Anyway, completely psyched for Son of Neptune. I haven't been this excited since the release of the DH movie. =3
Hard to say really. I would love it if she were the daughter of someone like Hecate or Bacchus. Aphrodite spawn got an upgrade in the last book, the others should get some as well.

I just hope it won't be Minerva >_>

Better than fanfiction isn't hard but they should be better than the ones from Pyramid and the last book. While they were tolerable, they weren't nearly as awesome as the original crew

Signature done by sparda

Old 09-07-2011, 10:03 AM   #252
Ryuugi Shi
Jazz Hands!!!

http://disney.go.com/official-sites/...ympus/octavian

Octavian, who reads the future in the entrails of stuffed animals.
I got 99 stories but I aint finished one.
Ryuugi Shi is online now   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 09-07-2011, 02:10 PM   #253
Zeitgeist
Order Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuugi Shi View Post
http://disney.go.com/official-sites/...ympus/octavian

Octavian, who reads the future in the entrails of stuffed animals.
A haruspex, huh? Very Roman... I like it. xD

Raise your hand if these little snippets have reignited your proclivity for the PJO fandom (e.g. fanfiction, fanart, etc.).

[/raises hand]

+Nominated for 2012 Annual Game Music Awards

SURVIVOR: DLP - Outwit, Outplay, Outlast||STAR WARS: A Mafia Variant||Meta Mafia: Slumber Party [FEMMAFIA]||STAR WARS III: A Mafia Variant||Under the Same Sky - A Pokémon Story//
DIGIMON ADVENTURE. Goodbye, childhood. //Have Courage, Protect Friendship, Continue to Love, Show Sincerity, Gather Knowledge, Endeavour for Reliability, Hold Hope, Shine Light, Express Kindness||
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 09-14-2011, 01:28 PM   #254
Ryuugi Shi
Jazz Hands!!!

http://disney.go.com/official-sites/...f-olympus/ella

Besides it being cool to have a new character profile, we now have confirmation on the names of the three Main Characters: Frank, Hazel, and Percy. We already know about Frank, but we've yet to see Hazel.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:32 PM   #255
Nemrut

I actually like what we have seen from Frank and I hope that Hazel will seem just as good.

This book is really shaping up nicely. Can't wait for seeing Percy again. First chapter was very promising.

Signature done by sparda

Old 09-20-2011, 06:29 PM   #256
Ryuugi Shi
Jazz Hands!!!

http://disney.go.com/official-sites/...ympus/thanatos

Thanatos, God of Death.

I'm kind of disappointed. I wanted a Percy Profile, but Hazel hasn't shown up yet, so the next one's probably her.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:38 PM   #257
Nemrut

I hope he is not going to be another Anubis >_> Really disliked him in the Egyptian books of Riordan.

Signature done by sparda

Old 09-20-2011, 07:00 PM   #258
Sol
Death Eater

I'm just lol-ing at the picture of a tall(?), muscular, black man in a simple beige tunic, in chains. That's just screaming PR blunder to me, especially considering Disney's racially sensitive past. Wonder who drew that?
Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:07 PM   #259
Ryuugi Shi
Jazz Hands!!!

http://disney.go.com/official-sites/...-olympus/hazel

Last one: Hazel. And, sadly, the entire thing is about a horse.

I could give a horse's ass about Arion; I want to know about the person who'll be a main character in the story.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:46 PM   #260
Nemrut

Actually, the horse sounds kind of cool...

Signature done by sparda