Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Great Hall > Hall of Shame > Introduction Archives [Closed]
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP PatronusCharm Banner

Old 03-27-2010, 11:17 PM   #1
Ash
Dark Lady
of Starfall

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via MSN to Ash
Hello all! Just my introduction

I have decided to emerge from lurkdom to formally introduce myself and officially create an account! The name is Ashaya, I much prefer 'Shay', however. Call me anything, really.

I've been reading fanfiction since 2000 or 2001, when I was only 8 or so. Back then I read just about everything (never have liked slash though). Since then I've become MUCH more picky, almost to an extreme...I won't read H/Hr, for example. This tends to filter out what feels like a good 50% of the readable fiction available, but ehh...Hermione makes me want to shoot something; not a good thing.

I love to read smart!Harry, and seriouslyweird!Harry. I'm also a big fan of stories in which magical theory is a big focus, and where there are real historical references. Harry Potter and the Golden Needle by xenocidender is a prime example of the aforementioned magical theory fic. It isn't my favorite, by far, (too slow) but it is fascinating IMO.

I am also going through a bit of a Romilda Vane phase, spurred on by Amortentia by excentrykemuse. There aren't enough Romilda fics!

Another thing that will turn me off a story is excessive bashing. Fanfiction is NOT for ranting and raving at the Weasleys, Dumbledore, Snape, or Neville's uncle Algie. That is what the forums are for.

I'm slowly but surely working on my first fanfic in 4 years; it is about Harry realizing as a child that he better get off his ass and start learning, since the Dursleys aren't going to support him forever. Thus he becomes much more of a Ravenpuff.

In real life: I am 16, female, and currently in Florida. I'm from Hawaii & California most recently, and I am hoping to get into UC Berkeley soon (I graduated early). I want to major in classic literature&languages.

Other authors I enjoy are Albert Camus, Philippa Gregory, Tamora Pierce, George Maguire, Edward Rutherfurd, Aldous Huxley, and basically any other historical fiction writer. Also a huge e.e cummings fan.

Music-wise, I love 60s rock; The Doors, Pink Floyd, Steve Miller Band, etc. I despise country and most rap.

My hobbies are reading, walking, swimming, going to concerts, smoking >.>, and just generally disliking people.
I'm largely misanthropic and slightly insane.
So. Hello everyone! I will now be joining the discussions.

Last edited by Ash; 03-27-2010 at 11:20 PM. Reason: My title said 'ny'. How embarassing
Old 03-28-2010, 07:08 AM   #2
mknote
1/3 of the Note Bros.

An intelligent 16 year old girl. Unpossible.

Warm welcomes for being different. I think you'll do well here. We have a place where you can post your picture, and we also have IRC. The in-crowd hangs out there.

One of my ambitions is to beat Taure in a canon-fight.

Harry Potter and the Seven-Split Soul
Old 03-28-2010, 07:48 AM   #3
Tehan

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by aSHAYataraphilosophia View Post
I've been reading fanfiction since 2000 or 2001, when I was only 8 or so.
Hermione makes me want to shoot something
I am hoping to get into UC Berkeley soon (I graduated early)
I despise country and most rap.
smoking >.>, and just generally disliking people.
I'm largely misanthropic and slightly insane.
So, generic moody (possibly goth) teenage girl trying too hard to be a unique flower. Gotcha.

And your name is just stupid. Neither Shay nor Ashaya are taken, yet you pick something over twenty characters long with retarded capitalisation? Good gods.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:13 AM   #4
Marsupial
Unspeakable

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehan View Post
And your name is just stupid. Neither Shay nor Ashaya are taken, yet you pick something over twenty characters long with retarded capitalisation? Good gods.
Philosophia would've worked as well. Seriously, that's irritating as fuck.

Quote:
I want to major in classic literature&languages.
I'm assuming you mean western Mediterranean, so Greek or Latin? Your answer may or may not determine your worth as a human being.

DLP Foreign Legion http://www.cybernations.net/default....arsupial%20Bob
Old 03-28-2010, 11:20 AM   #5
Lord Ravenclaw
Administrator
System God

One-time offer of a name change so we don't have to deal with it.

PM me if you wish to redeem.

Welcome to DLP.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:59 PM   #6
Ash
Dark Lady
of Starfall

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehan View Post
So, generic moody (possibly goth) teenage girl trying too hard to be a unique flower. Gotcha.

I am sorry about that....I use that username for just about everything, and since it is a pain to have dozens of different usernames, I used it here as well. It shall be changed!
Also: definitely not gothic, and I am no unique flower. There are probably many many people similar to me. Although I wish I knew them! I'd describe myself as a happy little ball of sunshine who happens to think most people are idiotic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis Rex View Post
I'm assuming you mean western Mediterranean, so Greek or Latin? Your answer may or may not determine your worth as a human being.
Latin as a language currently, as I'm in the process of learning it. Greek will be taken once I'm in college. And literature-wise, I'll be focusing on the Greeks.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:32 PM   #7
vlad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashaya View Post
I am also going through a bit of a Romilda Vane phase, spurred on by Amortentia by excentrykemuse. There aren't enough Romilda fics!
For Shame.

Amortentia was well told and Romilda was an interesting character. Even when I knew from chapter 2 it would take the plunge into eunuch!Harry, I kept reading, hoping beyond measure I would be wrong. The strengths of the story telling and clear talent of the author make it the biggest disappointment I've ever read in the fandom, due to Harry's complete absence of balls. Never before has a story been so potentially awesome, and then left hanging.

Don't really blame the author though - it's clear that the I wasn't the intended audience and I respect that. I just got picked up in the crossfire by accident.

But I digress, if you want to read more Romilda, then read Whatever Happened to Bromance and Ambient. There's also this one-shot, A Little Knowledge is a Dangerous Thing, which reveals a side of Romilda you've never seen before, I guarantee it.

Edit: It never fails to amaze. Mknote directs the girls to the PYP, and like lambs to the slaughter, it's HAI GUESS I BETTER JOIN THE PARTY. 2 days you've been here. Really?!

Last edited by vlad; 03-28-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:33 PM   #8
Seratin
Bloodwreath
Fir Bholg

MAN THE ULTRA BALLS.
(07:00:01) ::: (¤) Nickname: T3t changed his nickname to SeratinsBitch
Old 03-28-2010, 02:43 PM   #9
Ash
Dark Lady
of Starfall

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad View Post
The strengths of the story telling and clear talent of the author make it the biggest disappointment I've ever read in the fandom, due to Harry's complete absence of balls.

But I digress, if you want to read more Romilda, then read Whatever Happened to Bromance and Ambient. There's also this one-shot, A Little Knowledge is a Dangerous Thing, which reveals a side of Romilda you've never seen before, I guarantee it.
I agree about Harry's balls, but it didn't really bother me because I was looking for a Romilda fic. I didn't particularly care about Harry. (blasphemy, I know)

Regarding your recs, I have read all of them except the last. I am going to look it up shortly.

And to whoever snooped in my Photobucket: for shame. That is a 4 year old pic of people at my 8th grade graduation. (none are me) Also, that guy is most likely Vernon sized by now.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:43 PM   #10
World
Oberstgruppenführer

Welcome, anything.

On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
—Charles Babbage
Old 03-28-2010, 02:50 PM   #11
Ash
Dark Lady
of Starfall

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Heh. I know, I'm pathetic. I couldn't help myself though! I like sharing pics with people. And looking at theirs. I suppose I'll now be killed.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:05 PM   #12
vlad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashaya View Post
I agree about Harry's balls, but it didn't really bother me because I was looking for a Romilda fic. I didn't particularly care about Harry. (blasphemy, I know)

Regarding your recs, I have read all of them except the last. I am going to look it up shortly.
It's a question of balance.

I readily accepted Harry being demoted from protagonist to supporting love interest - the story was that good.

But just like I hate Ginny as a love interest because she's a mediocre witch whose coup de grace is a goddamn Bat Bogey Hex and she comes across as unbelievably petty, so to do I hate this Harry for being worthless. If you're going to have a love interest (and while as more than a few here will say, it's debatable if it ever adds anything to a regular story, it's kinda central to a romance) then said interest needs to be well... interesting. I was promised a sneaky suave Harry, and I clicked hoping for a glorious Romilda filled romp as Harry went to the insane side. Instead, I got fluffy and gary stu, which while I realize was her target audience, nonetheless made me feel like I'd been royally hoodwinked.

Anyway, despite your numerous errors thus far, you have to stick around, if only to increase the ranks of Romifans.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:21 PM   #13
Ash
Dark Lady
of Starfall

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Ugh, don't remind me of all of my gaffs! Especially the name one haha.
I see what you mean now, Harry was basically a Gary Stu. If only Bromance's Harry was with Amortentia's Romilda, it would be a perfect world.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:07 PM   #14
oephyx
Headmaster

DLP Supporter Donor Star
I'm trying to figure out how this can actually be you when you were eleven. But then maybe you just suck at math, which isn't crime (though maybe it should be).

You seem fine apart from that.

Quote:
...it is about Harry realizing as a child that he better get off his ass and start learning, since the Dursleys aren't going to support him forever. Thus he becomes much more of a Ravenpuff.
This isn't an incredibly original premise, but then I've never been able to write a fic. Post it in the wba if it's any good and you want some input.

Welcome.

Lewis Carroll
Old 03-28-2010, 04:56 PM   #15
Ash
Dark Lady
of Starfall

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by oephyx View Post
I'm trying to figure out how this can actually be you when you were eleven. But then maybe you just suck at math, which isn't crime (though maybe it should be).

You seem fine apart from that.

This isn't an incredibly original premise, but then I've never been able to write a fic. Post it in the wba if it's any good and you want some input.

Welcome.
That was me at I think 13...I went through puberty at like 10 >.>

I know it isn't terribly original, but that's rather hard to do nowadays. I'll probably share with the world once I've finished writing the Dursley years. Hopefully no more than a month!

On another note -I'm fine with math, just terrible at remembering when events took place. I can barely remember what I did last Sunday.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:22 PM   #16
kalantha
Fourth Year

You seem tolerable, but I'm afraid your love for Romilda makes me a little wary of you. I still don't understand how people can love characters that have such minor roles in the books that they are essentially OCs when written in fanfiction. Meh, but I have the same misgivings with Daphne Greengrass and fem!Blaise, so I won't completely write you off for that.

Nevertheless, you really ought to be more wary on the boards especially with creepers such as mknote floating around. Well, with that said, Welcome aboard!
Old 04-05-2010, 03:07 AM   #17
aaltwal
Minister of Magic

Send a message via Skype™ to aaltwal
Wait, what did Mknote mean of an "IN" crowd hanging out at the IRC?