Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Great Hall > Announcements
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP PatronusCharm Banner

Old 06-12-2011, 04:10 AM   #41
Anarchy

DLP Supporter Donor Star
If anyone was seriously not going to write a HP/vampire the masquerade crossover because I said it in the third post, ignore more and write it. My plan was to write malkavian!luna, but I don't have the time or the skill to do it proper. I can't write Luna, yet alone Luna^2.

Doesn't mean I won't try to submit something at least.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:22 PM   #42
Perspicacity
God of Magic
Rosicrucian

DLP Supporter Donor Star
I'll play this round. Dibs on Harry Potter/Jonathan Livingston Seagull/Saw multi-crossovers.

Okay, I kid. Mine will be a Harry Potter/Highlander (first movie) crossover and I think I may actually able to complete the story this time for a change.
Perspicacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:13 PM   #43
Portus
God of Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perspicacity View Post
I'll play this round. Dibs on Harry Potter/Jonathan Livingston Seagull/Saw multi-crossovers.

Okay, I kid. Mine will be a Harry Potter/Highlander (first movie) crossover and I think I may actually able to complete the story this time for a change.
This just in: Avowed atheist receives ironclad proof of god's existence, remains thunderstruck.

Seriously, please please /please/ write this. I've seen one HP-Highlander cross and iirc it didn't pass muster. The fact this is (1) a crossover I'd have a clue about, (2) it's one of my favorite long-ago fantasy movies and (3) it would be done by you, makes me suddenly very interested in this month's contest. XD

Geminio - Story Showcase - For Review - FF.net - PC

Portus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:50 AM   #44
Sal Paradise
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rymrock View Post
Bleh. No fusion crossovers. Oh well.

What's a fusion crossover? (and where does the thread say no to them?)
Sal Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:56 AM   #45
Rym
Death Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Ghost View Post
Personally, I'm gonna go with no. That ... Falls more into the Fusion genre than it does Crossover. And remember the golden rule of Fusions: It involves faggishdancing and chants or earrings, so unless you are Vegeta and Goku, its highly, heavily hard gay.

Yeah, I think that issue is gonna be resolved this time around. I will personally see to it that at the deadline, the new category is out, even if I have to put a baby in an oven to do it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
What's a fusion crossover? (and where does the thread say no to them?)
A Fusion crossover would be like taking a theme or idea from somewhere else and crossing it with Harry Potter (without implementing any characters). e.g. Like Celestin said: Having Harry use an Inception plot device without actually writing any of the Inception characters into the story.

I wish we could, cause I'm writing one now (not Inception) and I'd like to submit it.

Just Write.

Last edited by Rym; 06-13-2011 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Clarification
Rym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:12 PM   #46
Qilin
Second Year

Out of curiosity, if a story utilizes only the setting of a different one but no characters (say they are mentioned briefly, but never actually become part of the story) and no character replacement, is it still a fusion or is it in crossover territory now?

I'm mildly interested in where the line draws between them, as I've never heard of fusion before.

I'll probably submit a Bioshock cross - if anyone one gains some sort of idea from that, run with it; there are not nearly enough of these.

I'd personally like to see that HP/PotC cross with Harry stealing Durmstrang's ship; sounds like it would be hilarious.

You can put on makeup, but you can't hide crazy. - OE
Qilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:46 PM   #47
Sesc
Slytherin at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
as I've never heard of fusion before.
This is because the concept is completely retarded. Who the fuck cares where you got an idea or a plot device from? Calling it "fusion" is completely irrelevant, because the only thing that matters is whether it's good or bad. Chances are I don't even know this awesome book or movie where you got it from. And if you already are at the point where "it's exactly like Inception, only with Harry Potter", then you sure have a shitty-ass story at hand and can stop bothering.

I'd say it's a crossover if it has lots of characters that aren't from Harry Potter and have no business being in the story, and are only there because the author fell into the ancient trap of "wouldn't it be cool if ..."
(Hint: No, it's not.)

Then again, I hate crossovers in general, because they achieve nothing you couldn't do without slapping the label "crossover" on it and a decent dose of creativity, so feel free to ignore me.

Secrets of the war, a murder and a fatal attraction. And he has to struggle as hard as he ever did, lest that all might prove to be his undoing.

Unatoned, a Harry Potter Noir Story

I heard that you like the bad girls, honey,
Is that true?
Sesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:08 AM   #48
ASmallBundleOfToothpicks
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesc View Post
Then again, I hate crossovers in general, because they achieve nothing you couldn't do without slapping the label "crossover" on it and a decent dose of creativity, so feel free to ignore me.
Excellent advice in bold.

As Sesc pointed out, a fusion is where you take elements of one universe and blend them into another. Generally, this is done to give people sweet weapons, make plots, or pull thematic elements from other franchises. The difference between a cross-over and a fusion is that in a fusion, there is only one canon- you're just pulling some details or whatever from another story. In a normal cross-over there are two canons, getting mashed together for a plot.

Portus, as much as I agree with your sentiment, you may have missed the point of calling "dibs". If anyone is actually dissuaded from posting a story they think is good, from any of the franchises named, they probably aren't confident enough writers to post anything worthwhile to begin with. They should also see a surgeon about a prosthetic spine implant, since they are clearly lacking one. And they probably shouldn't be posting on DLP in the first place.

The point of calling dibs is to build hype and advertise what awesome story is about to be written. So I'm also going to call dibs on Magic the Gathering, Questionable Content, Scott Pilgrim, and... hmm... Invader Zim. I still have dibs on DLoD.
ASmallBundleOfToothpicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:54 AM   #49
Portus
God of Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASmallBundleOfToothpicks View Post
Portus, as much as I agree with your sentiment, you may have missed the point of calling "dibs". If anyone is actually dissuaded from posting a story they think is good, from any of the franchises named, they probably aren't confident enough writers to post anything worthwhile to begin with. They should also see a surgeon about a prosthetic spine implant, since they are clearly lacking one. And they probably shouldn't be posting on DLP in the first place.
No. The point of the contest is to get quality stories out there, yes, but there has always been the danger of people hesitating to enter because of comparisons to more established fanfic writers, and the fact that one person might have to also compete against another in the same cross-fandom is an extension of that.

Look, I don't believe everyone submits to the contests expecting to win, and if I'm honest, there have been a few really bad stories submitted. Nonetheless, I'm glad for every story submitted because if nothing else, all those authors have another piece under their belts and are now armed with not only more experience but the (hopefully) honest criticism that resulted.

Quote:
The point of calling dibs is to build hype and advertise what awesome story is about to be written. So I'm also going to call dibs on Magic the Gathering, Questionable Content, Scott Pilgrim, and... hmm... Invader Zim. I still have dibs on DLoD.
Fine. My point stands, however, that if you're going to toss it out that you've got "dibs" and you're doing a crossover with [insert fandom here], then you'd better fucking write the thing.

Geminio - Story Showcase - For Review - FF.net - PC

Portus is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 06-14-2011, 11:28 AM   #50
Grinning Lizard

Quote:

From a massive douche: way to be a massive douche.

What the fuck was point of that post? 'The point of calling dibs is to build hype and advertise what awesome story is about to be written.' What planet are you on?

Just shut the fuck up and get on with it.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:08 PM   #51
ASmallBundleOfToothpicks
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portus View Post
No. The point of the contest is to get quality stories out there, yes, but there has always been the danger of people hesitating to enter because of comparisons to more established fanfic writers, and the fact that one person might have to also compete against another in the same cross-fandom is an extension of that.

Look, I don't believe everyone submits to the contests expecting to win, and if I'm honest, there have been a few really bad stories submitted. Nonetheless, I'm glad for every story submitted because if nothing else, all those authors have another piece under their belts and are now armed with not only more experience but the (hopefully) honest criticism that resulted.

Fine. My point stands, however, that if you're going to toss it out that you've got "dibs" and you're doing a crossover with [insert fandom here], then you'd better fucking write the thing.
The point of DLP in general is to accumulate the best Harry Potter fanfiction on the internet into a single place, and you're telling me that the contests run and judged by arguably the most elitist forum for derivative work on the internet is about being a group hug for starting writers? Speaking as a "less-established writer," I have about a dozen stories lying around that I may clean up and post, some of which include stuff from Fandoms people have "called dibs" on. I'm sure that should I post something that is a crossover with a fandom someone else used, they'll make a couple of snide comments, I'll laugh, and Bob's your uncle. If they can't take people being merciless curmudgeons about their work, why the hell are they here in the first place? I mean, fuck, being a callous, douchey asswipe is part of the fun of posting here.

TL;DR- You are getting irrationally angry over what amounts to banter and posturing, tough guy. Cool it down there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinning Lizard View Post
From a massive douche: way to be a massive douche.
Thank you. I always appreciate when someone notices my craft.

Quote:
What the fuck was point of that post? 'The point of calling dibs is to build hype and advertise what awesome story is about to be written.' What planet are you on?
The point, if you can believe it, was that "calling dibs" doesn't actually mean a thing beyond drawing attention, and that Portus is acting like sand got in his vagina over nothing. Also, calling Sesc out on being absolutely useless in this thread is always a worthwhile use of words.

Quote:
Just shut the fuck up and get on with it.
This is probably the most constructive thing you have ever written. I approve.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:21 PM   #52
Sesc
Slytherin at Heart

Lol, someone's getting slowly worked up :3

As opposed to you, ASmallBundleOfToothpicks, I had a point here: I answered Qilin's question. You did ... what? Digging out something Portus said five days and a page ago?

Secrets of the war, a murder and a fatal attraction. And he has to struggle as hard as he ever did, lest that all might prove to be his undoing.

Unatoned, a Harry Potter Noir Story

I heard that you like the bad girls, honey,
Is that true?

Last edited by Sesc; 06-14-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Sesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:21 PM   #53
Rym
Death Eater

So... dibs on Harry Potter?

Just Write.
Rym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:31 PM   #54
Grinning Lizard

Quote:
drawing attention
You could have kept that post at two words. I am now enlightened.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:40 PM   #55
ASmallBundleOfToothpicks
Professor

Bah, I'm out of thumbs for GL's post. I'm being a shittier asshole than usual- it's probably just that I'm frustrated with a transition in my entry.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:31 PM   #56
World
Oberstgruppenführer

How 'bout you guys simply shut up?

On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
—Charles Babbage
World is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 06-14-2011, 03:24 PM   #57
Anarchy

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Portus hit it on the head, at least in my case.

Quote:
I'm glad for every story submitted because if nothing else, all those authors have another piece under their belts and are now armed with not only more experience but the (hopefully) honest criticism that resulted.
More people writing in the fandom is a good thing, and being people from DLP, you know the tastes are going to be generally the same. I've got several dozen unposted stories as well, but writing for the contest gives extra motivation to do something extra good that I hope fellow posters will like. I read and criticize every story, because as the end of the day, I want people to do the same for me.

Anyways, looking forward to the deluge of HP/DF crossovers.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:51 PM   #58
Grinning Lizard

(Removed)

Last edited by Grinning Lizard; 06-14-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Grinning Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:44 PM   #59
The Arid Legion
Order Member

Well, shit. As it turns out my story's a fusion.

Fuck. And I'd already written 3000 words too. Meh, I'll post it up in WBA as soon as I'm happy with it.

I think I'm gonna try my hand at judging this month.
The Arid Legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:32 PM   #60
Antivash
Until we meet again...
...Stay gold. Bang.

Send a message via AIM to Antivash
Quote:
Quote:
drawing attention
You could have kept that post at two words. I am now enlightened.
Everyone who joins DLP, on some level, has an innate need/want/desire to be the center of attention. DLP is one of the most narcissistic, selfish, elitist, self-indulgent sites on the internet, save for probably fanficauthors.net, Fur-Haven (Kinsfire-run furry site. No lie.), and whatever Jbern runs anymore. That utterly utterly empty Gryphonwood Press forum for him comes to mind.

tl;dr: Calling someone an attention whore on DLP? Here is a mirror.

Quote:

(Removed)

Considering what was here before the edit... I'd like to stab you. Terribly overused and bad joke. D:

Can we move on to writing stories now?

Find out how to use a steam sig like this here!
PS: If you PM and ask how to do it, I will ban you. Srsly.
Antivash is offline   Reply With Quote