Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > Multimedia > Movies, Music and TV shows
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP PatronusCharm Banner

Old 07-22-2011, 01:28 PM   #1
Zeitgeist
Order Member

Asian (Jap/Kor) music

Help needed for Asian (Jap/Kor) music.

Long story short, I got screwed over when I came in home staggeringly drunk, and my sister chose not to tattle on me.

However, she has a Korean bff for whom she's planning a birthday party, and she volunteered for producing music for the DJ. The bff apparently has very specific tastes in music, limiting herself in GaGa, Korean and Japanese stuff.

My sister, thinking that my (limited) familiarity with anime automatically qualifies me as an expert in everything Japanese, called in the favour I owed her. She asked me to use my "extensive knowledge of Asian music" to do her own job. I foolishly agreed, since the last favour she got me to do was clean a toilet, and that seemed much worse than selecting a bunch of Asian songs.

However, my time's up, and I need a decent playlist of five/six songs by next Friday. Any suggestions? Anybody familiar with JPop and/or KPop?

All I have to work with is that the bff's favourite song is this and that she also likes this. Perhaps I could use that to determine the birthday girl's musical palate. xP

Safe to say, she probably likes more "rock-ish/punk-ish" dance numbers than pure pop. O.o;;;

Suggestions?

+Nominated for 2012 Annual Game Music Awards

SURVIVOR: DLP - Outwit, Outplay, Outlast||STAR WARS: A Mafia Variant||Meta Mafia: Slumber Party [FEMMAFIA]||STAR WARS III: A Mafia Variant||Under the Same Sky - A Pokémon Story//
DIGIMON ADVENTURE. Goodbye, childhood. //Have Courage, Protect Friendship, Continue to Love, Show Sincerity, Gather Knowledge, Endeavour for Reliability, Hold Hope, Shine Light, Express Kindness||

Last edited by Zeitgeist; 07-22-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:29 PM   #2
Trig
Order Member

As my knowledge of japanese music is limited to anime-openings and The Seatbelts I can't really help you, but a good point to start would be last.fm or similar recommendation-engines. They'll probably produce at least a few good results.

Trig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:52 PM   #3
Rubicon
Professor

I know all about Utada, but that's about it.
Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:36 PM   #4
Purple
DA Member

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via Skype™ to Purple
I would look into CNBlue or FT Island for the "rock-ish" side of Korean music. There's a couple of rooms on turntable.fm if you wanna try that.
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
Blaise
God of Magic

1. Spotify.com
2. Register
3. Look for J- or K-Pop playlist
4. Copy popular songs
5. PURCHASE songs (Problem, Big Brother?)
6. Praise Blaise

OR

1. Fess up to your parents regarding drunken experience
2. Realize that you won't get in that much trouble.
3. Remind them that your sister knew and blackmailed you.
4. Tell sister to get fucked.
5. AWWWWWWWWW YEEAAAAAAAAAAAH

Last edited by Blaise; 07-22-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Blaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 07-22-2011, 06:48 PM   #6
Taure
God of Magic
~Soap Box~

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Your sister has you seriously whipped lol. You're the Jaime to her Cercei.

And yes, I mean that in every way.
Taure is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 4 thumbs up
Old 07-22-2011, 08:30 PM   #7
Lutris
Jarl Dovahkiin

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via AIM to Lutris Send a message via MSN to Lutris Send a message via Skype™ to Lutris
A few of my favorite rock-ish sounding J-bands. They're all great, especially live on stage.

One OK Rock
. Kanzen Kankaku Dreamer. Also, Jibun Rock is a bleeding awesome song. Koi no Aibou, Kokoro no Cupid live.

NICO Touches the Walls. Fuujin. If your sister watches anime, she's probably heard Broken Youth from Naruto, and Hologram from Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

The Bawdies. Just Be Cool. Also, Hot Dog is epic. It's Too Late live on stage.

Last edited by Lutris; 07-22-2011 at 08:41 PM.
Lutris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:26 PM   #8
Jarik
Headmaster

Send a message via MSN to Jarik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taure View Post

Win then?

Quote:
All I have to work with is that the bff's favourite song is this and that she also likes this. Perhaps I could use that to determine the birthday girl's musical palate. xP

Safe to say, she probably likes more "rock-ish/punk-ish" dance numbers than pure pop. O.o;;;
Would you really call those two tracks rock-ish? o.O

I listen to a lot of anime OP/EDs and Touhou remixes. But yeah, I'm fairly both (especially the latter) would probably seem like nerdy music to people who listen to the normal stuff.

One of the better 'normal' sounding tracks that are more rock-ish I think would be HYDE - Season's Call (which was an OP to Blood+). Another might be Kalifina - Sprinter (from Kara no Kyoukai).

Though I think for these things you probably want stuff that the person already knows. People like songs they already know. Not really sure what's popular at the moment.

Maybe just jump onto a top charts site for Japan or Korea and go through the songs there? Might be a good idea.
Jarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:36 PM   #9
Vermis
Squib

Super Junior is freaking giant huge in Korea, particularly this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6QA3m58DQw

I usually hear SHINee being played at the clubs in Seoul as well. Beyond that, most of my knowledge is limited to Mando-pop, but I did hear a fair amount of Fahrenheit (飞轮海)and S.H.E. being blasted on the streets in Korea.
Vermis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:13 AM   #10
Lindsey
Order Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Lindsey
When I was younger I went through the whole KOREA AND JAPAN ARE SO AWESOME phase. I watched J and K dramas, read tons of manga and manhwa, and tried to learn Japanese because I was "so going to move to Japan." My obsession completely died when I realized just how fucking hard Japanese is and how badly I fail at it.

KOREA
BoA
Rain
Super Junior
SHINee
2NE1

JAPAN
Utada Hikaru
Gackt
Big Bang
Melody
Ayumi Hamasaki

Uhm. That should be enough. I had to look up many of these, but sadly enough I knew exactly where to look.
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:44 AM   #11
Purple
DA Member

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via Skype™ to Purple
Big Bang is a Korean group.
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:16 PM   #12
Dark Minion

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Not yet mentioned rockish Japs which perhaps might fit - though I think not that useful for dancing:
Buck Tick
T.M.Revolution / Abington Boys School
Nightmare

Abington Boys School and their lead (solo known as T.M.Revolution) are mostly known through animes, i.e. Darker Than Black, Soul Eater, D Gray Man, etc.

EDIT:

While the op should kick his sister for blackmailing him, I appreciate this thread for the material it might provide us with.

Last edited by Dark Minion; 07-23-2011 at 01:22 PM.
Dark Minion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:07 AM   #13
Zeitgeist
Order Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taure View Post

I know that I should be offended, but you actually made me laugh. Seriously. Thanks, mate. I needed that little bit to cheer me up.

The comment is especially funny and ironic considering the shitstorm caused in one of my thread, lol. =D

I'm posting btw, to thank DLP. I've never heard of Spotify until Blaise mentioned it, and it worked like a charm. I also took Lindsey's suggestion and added some Shinee and Big Bang for good measure. It turns out that the friend had a massive crush for Korean boy bands, which I should have guessed. It was a nice surprise to see her reaction at the surprise party, anyway.

Anyway, good job.

P.S. Dark Minion, I am actually familiar with T.M. Revolution, because of his work with Gundam OPs. I disregarded him, though, because his songs didn't really sound like Abracadabra or the Gaga excerpt. Not dance-y enough, I suppose. Still, good music.

+Nominated for 2012 Annual Game Music Awards

SURVIVOR: DLP - Outwit, Outplay, Outlast||STAR WARS: A Mafia Variant||Meta Mafia: Slumber Party [FEMMAFIA]||STAR WARS III: A Mafia Variant||Under the Same Sky - A Pokémon Story//
DIGIMON ADVENTURE. Goodbye, childhood. //Have Courage, Protect Friendship, Continue to Love, Show Sincerity, Gather Knowledge, Endeavour for Reliability, Hold Hope, Shine Light, Express Kindness||
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote