Dark Lord Potter Forums Dark Lord Potter Forums  

Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > Almost Recommended
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Donor Bar
PatronusCharm Banner

Old 02-11-2012, 06:12 AM   #1
Xakoro
First Year

Business by Esama - T

Title: Business
Author: Esama
Rating: T
Genre: Crime/Adventure
DLP Category: General
Pairing: N/A
Words: 12,437 (ff.net); 12,460 (AO3)
Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7822807/1/Business
Link: https://archiveofourown.org/works/1113588
Summary- The Dursleys didn't raise Harry Potter to be a very good boy. Dark!Criminal!Harry, lots of crimes, generally darkish.
Esama is usually a fairly good writer when not preoccupied with slash, and this fic is no exception from the rule. Spelling and grammar is excellent, and although characterisation isn't a key part, it is written well. I found the plot to be good, but I imagine it could be better if there were more Criminal!Harry fics to bounce ideas off of.
All in all, 4/5.

Checked by Minion, September 29, 2014
Esama reposted her story on AO3. Thanks to Ayreon for the info.

Last edited by Dark Minion; 09-29-2014 at 03:47 PM.
Xakoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:23 AM   #2
Andro
Master of Death

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Jesus, another of these stupid '20 truths' style stories. Okay, fine.

Very self-righteous tone where every enemy of the main character isn't able to handle this new 'criminal' and 'calculating' Harry Potter. They're all brain-dead.

The attempted Sherlock Holmes fusion or allusion is unimaginably retarded as shit. Seriously lol, what the fuck. Out of place like a fish out of water and arbitrary.

Esama is very prolific and very capable of writing good stories, I think he's a bit like BajaB but more skilled. But this is another one of those very generic, very heavy-handed and uncreative stories that are unfortunate. I mean, how many goddamn HP/Stargate: Atlantis crossovers has be pumped out now that are identical to each other?

1.5/5. I'll grant that his writing is readable, but I'm exposed to readable writing every day. It's a wreck in every single way that matters.

Last edited by Andro; 02-11-2012 at 06:26 AM.
Andro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:46 AM   #3
Anarchy
Prisoner

DLP Supporter Donor Star
I see the story is written by Esama, and that immediately sends up red flags. A dozen of his stories have come through the review section in the past few months, and not a single one of them is something I would call brilliant.

I'm only a quarter of the way through, and I don't feel like reading any more of it. Perhaps a 2/5
Old 02-11-2012, 06:47 AM   #4
disposablehead
Seventh Year

5/5

I was giggling like a mad man.
disposablehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #5
Vira
Order Member

While it was very unrealistic in places (due to Harry's age), it was something to read. 3/5.
Vira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:22 PM   #6
Thaumologist
Minister for Magic

It was interesting, but too short, and too few details. We only really see the beginning being set up, and it read almost like a mix between planning and first draft. Also, the complete lack of conflict made it quite incredibly boring.

2/5, although could be more if it was ever re-written and expanded.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:29 PM   #7
Bill Door
The Chosen One

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Meh.

It wasn't awful but it just didn't really interest me. I don't want to read a fic where harry asswhups everyone by the end of first year.

2/5 because it was just boring.

Bona fide hustler making my name

Bill Door is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:53 PM   #8
Sirion
First Year

It's not really twenty truths style, the scenes are just numbered and there's very little.. I'm forgetting the literary term, but there's very little 'flow' between the scenes. It's disjointed, mainly featuring the plot advancing scenes. 1-10, then it skips ahead to 'infinity', to show the conclusion.

I'd give it 3/5, a decent oneshot to read if you're bored but not really library worthy.
Sirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:34 PM   #9
Coelacanth
Groundskeeper

The story was average. Obviously someone liked the new Sherlock Holmes movie a bit, but the character development was a bit too fast.
Coelacanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:56 PM   #10
Alive and Free
Groundskeeper

1/5 just because I like the idea of Harry being a criminal mastermind, though it'd be better if he wasn't one at age eleven and had competition. Also, I refuse to believe that, apart from dark lord's, there's a total lack of crime in the wizarding world - remember Mundungus Fletcher from canon.

Ernest Hemingway
Alive and Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:12 PM   #11
Richard
Supreme Mugwump

Have to say it's boring as shit. 2/5 from me. Esama's writing is turning to crap.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:26 PM   #12
Goddessa39
DA Member

I'm not a Sherlock Holmes fan but I'm not sure why. Moriarty is very allusive (and for some reason I think more toward 'League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen' with that name) and a great start for a criminal mastermind to observe.

Esama is a great fic writer and I love the twenty truth things but this I'd have to give a 4/5 simply because of the age thing.... although I'll prolly have a totally different view in the morning.

Wars teach us not to love our enemies, but to hate our allies.
-W.L. George

"In truth, there was only one Christian. And he died on the cross."
"At times, one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid."
"Poets are shameless with their experiences; they exploit them."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Goddessa39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:42 AM   #13
Dark Minion
Bright Minion

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Yeah, the age turned it down for me, too. The twist at the end was ok, but not good enough to justify more than 3 points.

Somewhere in between 2/5 and 3/5 stars.

Looking for a fandom?

Dark Minion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:23 PM   #14
Vorpal
Third Year

Like several others, I may approve of the idea, but when the execution is just a steamroll, the results are disappointing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coelacanth View Post
The story was average. Obviously someone liked the new Sherlock Holmes movie a bit, but the character development was a bit too fast.
Irrelevant factoid: esama's a fan of the new BBC series, and has written fics for it, not so much the movie. Though that diverges quite a lot on Moriarty, where there he is like a smarter and stabler version of Ledger!Joker: he runs a criminal empire, but at his heart he's a psycho troll. At first I thought he was disappointingly over-acted in season 1, but season 2 proved him to be just the right mix of genius and crazy to work brilliantly like Sherlock's unhinged twin.

Recommend that series to everyone.
Vorpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:50 PM   #15
Henry Persico
Groundskeeper

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via Skype™ to Henry Persico
I read this fic not long ago, but while it certainly entertained me I didn't find it Library worth it. It's Almost Recommendable category, IMO.

It's well written and has good grammar; but the plot, characterization and resolution are a joke. It starts promising us a story that feels rushed in the end and had a main character travel trough without an ounce of challenge.

2/5 for me.

I vote to downgrade this fic to the Almost Recommendable list.

Harry smiled, despite everything. "A wizard is never late, Tony, nor is he early."

Tony groaned. "I should never have let you borrow the Fellowship.".
Henry Persico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:47 PM   #16
CheddarTrek
Set Phasers to Melt

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Well, that was fun to read. And it wasn't slash!

3.5/5 for me, rounding down.

Primary issue is what others have mentioned before -- Harry's age. If it had been spread out a bit more it'd have been a little easier to swallow, but at least he had Greyback doing most of the heavy lifting at first and kept himself hidden.
Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. But I rather believe than time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important how we lived. After all, Number One, we're only mortal.
~Jean-Luc Picard

Last edited by CheddarTrek; 01-18-2013 at 10:21 PM.
CheddarTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
author: esama, criminal!harry