Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > The Alternates
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 02-16-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
Tarnished Blade
Professor

A Wizard Named Harry by Bugz-Toon - T

Title: A Wizard Named Harry
Author: Bugz-Toon
Rating: T
Genre: Adventure
Chapters: 9
Words: 33,877
Updated: June 30, 2013
Published: January 12, 2013

Library Category: Alternate
Pairings: (blank)&Harry Dresden
Summary: Harry Dresden has taken a lot of blows to the head over his career, and woken up in a lot of interesting places, but... aboard the Hogwarts Express in the body of an eleven-year-old boy with a lightning-bolt scar on his forehead? Yeah, that's a new one. Most people, they'd just enjoy the ride, but Dresden has read the books, and he REALLY doesn't like dark wizards...
Link: Link

Frankly I was originally going to post this in the appropriate "almost recommended" thread. Its a pleasant enought twist on the HarryPotter/HarryDresden crossover. Going to Hogwarts for the Harry in Potter's skin since he doesn't seem capable of using wands and magic . . . safely (as in explosions ahoy!). And there seems to be no reaction from Harry D. to all the many and varied violations of the 7 laws of the white concil. But the Cliff at the end of the most recent chapter (6) has me thinking it just might be library worthy. That and it might be changing from adventure to adventure/horror.

I sighed and let myself relax a little, then yelped and fell off the stool when Hermione shoved a newspaper in my face and said "See, I told you her name was Rita... oh. Where did she go? Wait, where did you go?"

She looked down. "What are you doing on the floor? You can't study from down there."

I glowered at her, but any scathing retort I could have come up with was choked off by a new voice, one like oiled honey. All velvet inhuman sweetness, deep and quiet and speaking what some part of my brain identified as BBC English.

"Well met, little mortal. You are to be congratulated on a most intriguing stratagem, and one that I would have thought you incapable of, bound in frail meat as you were. Still, you above all others should know that you cannot escape he who is ever behind you." the Outsider purred.

The Multi-verse says Fuck You, Harry Dresden, and everyone else in your general vicinity. Let the body count commence.
Tenative 4/5

Checked by Minion, July 28, 2013

Last edited by Dark Minion; 07-28-2013 at 04:15 AM.
Tarnished Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:10 PM   #2
Narf
Administrator
The Sugardaddy of Oz

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Urgh, Dresden in Potter's body seems really interesting -- but I cannot get past the part where Dresden has read the books. Just reeks too much of the recent fad of "Everyone reads the HP books!" going on in ffnet right now. Other than the Dresden twist, what makes this any better than those shit fics?

I'm the mother flippin' Rhymenocerous
My beats are fly and the birds are on my back
And I'm horny
I'm horny
If you choose to proceed you will indeed concede
Cos I hit you with my flow
The Wild Rhino Stampede.
Narf is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 02-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #3
CheddarTrek
Set Phasers to Melt

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Ok, well, needed something to read while I was chilling in the restaurant. Let's give it a go.

Bit of a, well, not mundane, but not overly way of getting Dresden into another Universe. With all the possibilities that DF offers it happens because he was trying to put out a big fire? Collected it and aimed at the roof of a building? Ah well, it's just a mechanism to move him to the HPverse so w/e.

I grinned at this part: Ron snorted, and even Hermione looked briefly amused as she claimed a seat. At the back of my mind, I could almost hear Murph making snide comments about my humour finally finding an audience immature enough to appreciate it.

Granted when it comes to Draco I'd like to think that an adult Dresden would at least recognize that he's a child instead of making fun of him the instant he appears and tries to be friendly. He does make it a point to say that Dresden just hates bullies, but Malfoy hasn't been one yet when Harry starts with the insults. Was a little disappointed to see the author take the easy way out there. Of course after Draco acts like an ass I can easily see Dresden acting this way--he does it in canon often enough.

His eventual winning of that convo, though, was good. "What's a mudblood?" and so on.

For some reason I also really liked this bit:
Quote:
... all spoke to a practicioner with a firm grasp of the dramatic.

In my experience, that was a good thing. Seriously.

Admittedly, mostly because it made it really, really easy to tell when said practicioner had gone off the deep end, since they were unable to resist, on some fundamental level, the need to wear all black and festoon things with skulls and blood and pentagrams. And occasionally pumpkins.
And that's the first three chapters. Going to read the rest without so much commentary, as it keeps distracting me.

In general the story makes me grin. I like it. But so far there's nothing all that special here, just Dresden going through the motions of the first HP book starting on the Hogwarts Express.

Chapter 4 stuff starts to change things up a bit more. Dumbledore is involved, and decently written, and there's a soulgaze and whatnot.

It's neat. I dunno if it's 4/5 though. I think I'm gonna go with a 3.5/5 for now and wait for a bit more. There's about 20k here, which is usually enough to rate, but I feel like it's moving slowly enough that giving it more time is justified.

Nice find either way.

Edit: *snicker* Snape looked like he was going to say something else, but then he glanced around rapidly as if he'd suddenly remembered that there was a class in session, not just a private tutorial session that he'd somehow gotten confused with Torquemada's inquisition.
Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. But I rather believe than time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important how we lived. After all, Number One, we're only mortal.
~Jean-Luc Picard

Last edited by CheddarTrek; 02-16-2013 at 08:41 PM.
CheddarTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:06 AM   #4
T3t
Fourth Year
Purple Beast of DLP

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 3,164
It's pretty good, honestly. Every time I get annoyed by something, along comes a line that just makes me crack up. Will be following it to see how it goes.

T3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:02 AM   #5
Innomine
Auror

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 4,500
Send a message via AIM to Innomine Send a message via MSN to Innomine
Yeah, it starts off as you put it Cheddar, rather mundanely. However, by the end of what's written I was really enjoying it, and wishing there was a little more. Especially with how the last chapter finished.

A bit of it's weird, like how the flying lessons panned out exactly the same, and I like Dresden's motivation for keeping things as similar as possible. He doesn't plan to stay in Potter's body, and he doesn't want to screw up his life too much.

Regardless, it's a 4/5 at best right now, but I think with some effort it could easily become a 5/5 if handled correctly.
Innomine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
author: bugz-toon, dresden files, hp/dresden files