1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

[2016] The Best Fanfiction - What's your favorite fic of all time?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Alindrome, Nov 26, 2016.

1. fash

fash Seventh Year DLP Supporter

A Black Comedy is the easy pick for me. I don't know how many times I have reread it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was over twenty times....

2. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

There are quite few fics out there that I really liked, but Havoc Side of the Force and Lesser Sadness are probably the best fics I've read this year.

3. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

Just looking through this thread I see a lot of fics I used to like, but sadly nostalgia isn't able to hide their flaws these days.

4. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

Well geez guys, did you really have to go and give me 5 brandnew good sized fics to read? Now I can't do any christmas shopping...
    I'm not sure if I'll like all of them of course but I thought I'd read most of the good stuff by now, just goes to show you have to really dig deep sometimes.

As for my own favorite, I'm really struggling to narrow it down. There's so much good stuff out there! It's never hurt anyone to have more recommendations of course so I just made a list of honourable mentions out of the ones that didn't end up being my favorite.

The winner of the prestiguous Jarizok's Favorite Fanfic Award™ is:

With Strength of Steel Wings by AngelaStarCat

The fic shares many of the faults of Blindness by the same author (Overpowered!Harry foremost), but the plot is original and intriguing and the OCs are well written for the most part. It's not yet finished, but I have hope that it will be someday since the author is still active. The fic is no masterpiece of prose or anything, but I've gone back to reread it multiple times and there's scenes in there that give me goose bumps every single time. I'm desperate to know how events will unfold, moreso for this fic than any other on my favorites list, so I'll give it the stamp of favorite™.

Soo... On to the honourable mentions!

In the category best Game of Thrones fanfic: The Dragon of Duskendale by Kerjack

In the category best laugh out loud oneshot(ish): Whatever happened to Bromance by Vlad the Inhaler

In the category best Ginny-centric fanfic: The Changeling by Annerb

In the category best-interactive-story-that-has-inspired-about-a-hundred-spin offs: Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality by Less Wrong
    (In the category best-spin off-of-HPMoR: Following the Phoenix by Hezzel)

In the category best guilty pleasure: Are You Going to Kiss Me or Not? by Sorcerer's Muse

Edit: Added the links. Also, apologies for the long post, I know I was only supposed to give 1 fic but I just couldn't contain myself.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  5. zoe

zoe Squib

High Score:
    I haven’t seen it mentioned yet, but I’ve always loved “The Lie I’ve Lived” by jbern. I know at some points it gets a bit too super!Harry, but I just really love the Sorting Hat and the expansion of the Triwizard Tournament. I’ve reread it a few times. It’s just one of those stories that is pure entertainment for me.

6. Donimo

Donimo Auror

Picking a single favorite is hard, but most of the contenders have been mentioned already.

So I'll say Throwing Out the Script. A wonderful fic that stands next to One One He Feared and The Lesser Sadness as the best of the best in Powerup-Through-Memories fics. The description is incredibly off putting, and it was abandoned before it could get anywhere, but what exists is excellent.

7. iamnotreal

iamnotreal Second Year

High Score:
    I won't mention every favorite I've read but I recently stumbled across "The Golden Power" written for the Legend of Zelda. It truly goes above and beyond what I expected on a technical level, and the engagement between characters is really superb. The author mentions doing a re-edit and it really shows, the first arc is a fantastic piece of work and works well as a standalone, larger than life heroic adventure.
    It's a shame the rest of it is incomplete, I truly felt it would've been better if the author chose to develop more self contained stories with a definitive start and end whilst Link kicked ass all the way home.

8. orangeyensign

orangeyensign Squib

High Score:
    Backwards with Purpose

I still feel that it is one of the premier fanfiction, and was quite shocked when i stumbled upon the review thread on this forum. I don't quite agree that the first 4 years in the fics are canon rehash, considering that for example Molly Weasely doesn't sew a personal sweater for Harry, which is a good symbol of her hesitant feelings towards Harry. It manages to make the Weaselys antagonistic without common bashing tropes like love potions or secret gold-diggers, which is quite frankly like a unicorn in fanfiction sometimes. It offers a lot of refreshing takes on the time-travel tropes like how people who supposedly know everything that has happened can still mange to screw it up due to their very human impulses ( You all know which scene). From reading the fic, you get the sense that the author is , you know, a fan of the original books and while it does get a bit cheesy still manages to bring across the central themes of the novel in their story.

The companion Book of Albus should also receive similar praise, even if sometimes you do need a chart to see what changes time travel has made. I like the characterization of Albus as someone who does incredibly shady things out of love.

9. LordQuidditch

LordQuidditch Squib

High Score:
    I think it's a very hard question to answer really, due to the abundance of great stories produced (many of them by DLP, I've found out while reading them), but my personal favourite for its sheer ability to have me laughing in my saddest moments would have to be A Black Comedy by nonjon (like so many others have mentioned and no doubt enjoyed).

10. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

My favourite fic is a Dawn-centric Buffy the vampire slayer fic called American Girls. It isn't great but I love it.

11. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

You have a link? I can't seem to find it.

edit: Nevermind, took a little but I found your post.

https://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=19201

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  12. Strider

Strider First Year

One of my favorites of all time is annewhynn's In the Shadow of Gods, this being the reworked version. She was displeased with the first one, and it was also deleted by the overlords at Critics United, so screw em.

A few others, many of them already named. The first fanfiction writer I got into was Don113 and his Halo/Star Wars stuff, as well as Halcyon5's Do Unto Others. They're not quality, but they led me down this road.

What else? Morta's Priest's epic Wand and Shield, and Water Mage's incomparable Awaken Sleeper.

Those are the big ones, at least.

13. PotterFan

PotterFan High Inquisitor

Are you high?

14. Traytables

Traytables Squib

High Score:
    I have no favorite to add that's not on this list already, but damn this has given me a lot to read!

15. Assassin4life

Assassin4life Squib

High Score:
    Hey! New here, but to contribute to the conversation I would like to add this excellent bit of fiction: The Homestead by ConstantTraveller. It certainly isn't my favorite but I think it is the best Assassin's Creed fanfic I have ever seen. Which, sadly, isn't saying much but still.

While the writing isn't amazing, what makes the story fantastic for me is the author's portrayal of minor characters in AC3 and how they portray Connor Kenway. For me at least it brings an amazing outsider perspective on the life of an assassin and how the rather mundane people of a simple game mechanic see and care for him. My one true gripe is that it ends abrutply and there isn't more of it.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  16. Testament

Testament Seventh Year

While there are many great fanfiction works out there, and many of which already mentioned here, my personal favourite would be Psi Effect by Cap'n Chryssalid.

Psi Effect is a Mass Effect/XCom crossover set before the first ME game. It has fantastic worldbuilding, memorable characters and solid writing.

Psi Effect by Cap'n Chryssalid
    A fun-loving asari mercenary finds herself a little in over her head when she ends up abducted by terrifying aliens from beyond the galactic frontier. These asari-like creatures call themselves 'humans.' They seem to be secretly nosing about on the borders of known space, acting through proxies, conducting covert operations, and they've got a deal for an enterprising asari...

Also links to the Spacebattles thread page where more content can be found:
    1st Thread
    2nd Thread

17. Conquistador

Conquistador High Inquisitor

High Score:
    I would recommend any of muggledad's fics. Quality writing in all of them.

18. Miner

Miner Order Member

Uh...

Sorry, but I could NOT finish any of his stories. Like, I couldn't even finish Partners, and I'm perhaps one of the biggest Harry/Daphne fans around.

19. Conquistador

Conquistador High Inquisitor

High Score:

Ok... I see your point, when he hits the second scenes they are kind of annoying but the first scenes of all his fics are definitely worth a read.

By the way... any good Harry/Daphne recommendations from you.

20. FriedIce

FriedIce Seventh Year

/Looks at thread title/

Is this really the place?