1. Hey Guest,

Are you handy with Photoshop? Do you feel the DLP Anakin logo is tired and old? Do you want to win a special as of yet undetermined prize? Join the DLP Banner Photoshop Competition! Fame, fortune, and the respect of your peers await those that enter. Sadness, despair, and a deep self-loathing await those that do not.

Enter the competition.
    Dismiss Notice

2017 New Year Resolutions

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Vira, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Vira

Vira Order Member

2016 thread over here. How'd you do?

My results:

In-progress
    . I restarted my draft in August after making a breakthrough. The same thing happened with draft one, but my second draft will be done by the end of February. I didn't mean to start writing every day, it just of happened.

Failed. Let's try again.

In-progress. I fell off the wagon in December.

On paper it hasn't been a good year for goals, but I'm so happy with my second draft progress, I don't care.

For 2017:

1. Finish my second draft.

2. Get a real job. C'mon, Vira, you can do it.

3. Finish my third draft and get beta readers. Since I'll probably finish draft two in February, I believe draft three will be done in August. We'll see how it goes.

4. Exercise and workout regularly. Gain muscles. Get to a healthy weight.

5. Continue learning French.

6. Socialize more. Start driving regularly again. Just because I live with my parents doesn't mean I have to spent so much time with them.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  2. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    I've never participated in these threads, but why the hell not, let's give this a try.

1. A cousin is getting married in April. That gives me three months to slim down enough that I could put on a flattering suit without the gut hanging over my belt.

2. Failing #1, just try to weigh less as the year goes on. I've really let myself go. Elevated blood pressure at the ripe old age of 24 is a bad sign. Get moving, Scott.

3. Finish my WIP fanfic, begin sequel(?).

4. Commence the first draft of original fiction novel I've been pointlessly scratching at this past year.

5. Do better in class. I'm better than just coasting through the boring stuff.

6. Related to #5, put some honest effort into French.

7. As I'll be finishing sophomore year of college, try to acquire some experience I could slap on a resume. This one will be tricky.

That's plenty. If I succeed at anything, is this thread okay for periodical check-ins?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  3. Rah

Rah Auror

I didn't post last year but here were mine

1, Excercise more, eat healthier, lose weight

So far it's in progress, started working out and eating healthier around March, with occasional 2-3 weeks of not doing anything in between. But I haven't excercised for about 3 weeks now, mostly due to Finals and holidays.

2, Get an internship or Job

Fail, still working on it.

3, Travel more

Success! Haven't done much this past year beyond driving to NYC or a trip to visit my sister in England. But I'll be flying to Dubai in a week to visit some friends who graduated and I've made spring break plans in Mexico so I'll consider this a success.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the year although I could've done more looking back on it.

For next year

1, Continue to work out and eat healthy, lose more weight than I did last year. Lost around 25 pound last year, and I'm about 30 pounds from my ideal weight (although I'll be happy just losing another 15 to be honest)

2, Get into grad school, and if I don't then have at least an internship that has the potential to hire me full time. I'm working on applying to grad school with deadlines coming up in 3 weeks and my GRE exam in a week.

3, Have fun my last semester of college (at least as an undergraduate). Last semester was one of my best so far so I have high hopes for this upcoming one! I've gotten closer to a lot of friends and feel a lot more in control of my life, well as much as anyone can be at 21.

4. Hawkin

Hawkin Minister of Magic

I've had a pretty shitty year, but less so than 2015. Let's make 2017 great this time.

Career, Education & Finances

Find a new job (Make a choice)
    I can't stand the current one anymore. I have options ahead of me, and I'm indecisive concerning them. The first one is to advance within the same company (construction) and join a team as a general worker (or w/e its called in english). My salary would go up by about 5-8$/h which isn't bad at all, and I would have a 6AM-4PM regular schedule compared to my current on-call one. Advancement past that point is going to be hard as it's a small company and there will be plenty others ahead of me for the next position. Second option is to get another job in another company. Guess I have to start figuring shits out.

Enroll for either bachelor degree or pilot certification
    I had a 30 min flight on a small aircraft in 2015. I paid a 1h flight, and 30 minutes class for this year. Depending on how this goes, I might decide to enroll for the pilot certification or not. Hard part will be to be accepted into it; I do not have the money to pay for private classes.

Make a Budget
    I always tried to make one, and drop it halfway through the first week. I can't do that anymore. I plan to stick to this one this time, and update it every week.

Health & Fitness

Workout 5x/week
    Already started working on that one. I did 3x/week for two weeks straight in December. I'm currently in my third week with a 4th workout coming up tomorrow (gym is closed for New Year). Current plan is to start the 5x/week on the 3rd of Jan; my brothers are regular at the gym and I've subscribe to the same one so we'll be motivating each others.

Healthy Lifestyle
    For about 70% of 2016, I managed to keep a healthy sleeping schedule; it all went down the drain when worked kept me up until 11-12PM and woke me up at 6 AM. Hopefully, this will not be the case anymore and I can resume sleeping adequately. Additionally, I'll focus on removing fast-food entirely from my diet, as well as superfluous sugar (cakes, cookies, chips, etc.).

Lose 50 pounds
    I took some weight in the past couple of years. I need to lose it. Currently standing at 255, and hopefully I can reach 205 by the end of the year with a good management of food and physical activity as mentioned previously.

Social Life
    I need to go out. Like...at all.

__

See you in 2017 people.

5. Zenzao

Zenzao 500 Club King Prestige

High Score:
    Did not happen. Like at all. I haven't touched Elithos' story in more than a year, though I've looked back at where I was going with Subterfuge and have a better overall plot layout in mind. Gilded Golem got the most attention and an Original WBA intro that I still have to rework.

Jury is still out on this one. Mordecai gave me a general approval with encouragement to revise and make my main character more of something the reader would bond with, but pending that no other judge responses.
    Antho6 is off in the yonder blue skies until further notice.

Hah, no. I've put weight back on from this junk.

Massive fail.
    Plucked a few strings and then simply set it aside and forgot about it until now.

6A: Have not come even close to completing and have in fact left it to rot like most of my stories until such a time comes as I can find the effort to get back on track. As Rep warned me of, I may have burned myself out a bit early on and the update period between stretched out rather badly.
    6B: When the world-building was good, it was good. Pretty solid 5-star rating through most of the quest, quite a few return readers/voters, but by the end I got caught up in the plot and it kind of fell off some near the last few updates.

EDIT: Forgot to add new resolutions.

So for 2017:
    1. Just go back through most of my stories and actually update by one chapter every couple of months.
    1b. Complete at least one fanfic I have posted or have sitting around in my T5C writings.
    2. Revise VEYL, complete draft.
    2b. Continue work on world-building and establish the sequel.
    2c. Continue work on sequel to Vows of the Alchemist. The base stuff is already there, I just need to compile and then build the bridges in-between the scenes I've written so far.
    3. Work out. Build some more muscle, drop some fat. Want to get down to about 180 lbs and stay there, but for now I'll be happy to be sub-200 again.
    4. Eat better. More home-made meals/snacks, less pre-packaged crap.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  6. Aetius

Aetius Disappeared

High Score:
    I guess my main goal this year is to earn a promotion, which means I first have to show more leadership capabilities and put in a lot of extra work beyond my regular duties. Other than that, I want to learn a third language and improve my physical fitness (both of which will help with being promoted anyway).

7. Avery

Avery Second Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The first half of 2016 was pretty crap for me, but I obtained my MBA by the middle of the year and things got better from that point on. Many good things happened in the latter half of the year. I'm starting a new job in Jan 2017, I've lost some weight (enough to be complimented on it), and I'm in a stable LDR that keeps me happy.

I do, however, want to improve my calorie counting and exercise regime (especially since I'm starting an 8-5 job with hours of driving time that will exhaust me). I also hope I do really well at my job. I suppose my goal there will be to earn the annual performance bonus and finish my six month probation period without any problems.

Writing-wise, I'm hoping to pick up my poetry writing again so that I can submit things to journals. I've been caught in a dead spell there for quite some time.

8. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    My list from the last thread:

Didn't really happen. This was the big one. I've been just supremely unmotivated, having to force every word, and it makes me sad.

Well, the dog died.

Ha.

I currently live in an island shack with housekeeping service, so I guess that's a win.

Nope. It's dying a slow death.

2017 Resolutions:

This will be the year of Joe. I've got that excited, motivated feeling about the year, and some fairly decent anti-depressants to see me through!

• Writing - original and fanfic
    • Drop 10kgs
    • Finish my damned PhD, possibly start some post-grad stuff in Creative Writing
    • Travel that is not work-related
    • Reconnect with family
    • Get me a cool Stetson

That'll do. Good luck, Future Joe.

9. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    Well, fuck it, let's be ambitious. 52 weeks in a year, so aim for 52 pounds, or about 23kg. That will still not put me at desired weight, but have to start somewhere. Without fast food and snacks and just not being a retard, a pound a week is nothing.

Here I go.

10. Taure

Taure Magical Core Enthusiast Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm just making one resolution this year: whenever I have free time, to spend less of it watching random shit on YouTube and Reddit and more of it reading books.

11. CareOtters

CareOtters Headmaster DLP Supporter

1) Attempt to make it back home and relatively sober for work on Jan 2nd.

2) Fail

12. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

My resolutions for this new and exciting year:

1. Care less what others think. It will be healthier that way.

2. Figure out how to emigrate from Poland.

That's basically it. I'm long past the point where I make plans or have dreams of any kind, so having only these two things is enough.

13. Rah

Rah Auror

I second that, I want to get back into reading. I'm planning on starting the Kingkiller Chronicles after my GRE exam. After that I still have to start Dresden Files and then move onto anything by Terry Pratchett.

14. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

I don't know how many years I've done this, but let's break it down, shall we? Let's start with last year's goals!

1. Keep consistent growth rate on YouTube and break 30,000 subscribers (with my current growth rate, this is definitely doable) - yeah, this didn't happen at all, given that growth rates fluctuate and were significantly less exponential than I hoped. Eh, I'm still happy with what I did, but it comes with the acknowledgement that this is going to be a bit more of a slog.
    2. Build more chest and arm muscles while keeping a stable weight at 210 lbs, while also training for that 30k in September. - oh lol, the stable weight again was stable, but it sure as hell where it shouldn't be.
    3. Change jobs - DONE in February, and man, my life has been better for it.
    4. Finish the second novel manuscript - not even close. Writing fiction took a real backseat this year, I just had no time whatsoever.
    5. Expand and try new things for shits and giggles. You're single and turning 26 this year, motherfucker, the time is NOW - well, I went to Europe for two weeks, started my Patreon, fell in and out of love, and didn't completely lose my mind, so there's some progress here.

Okay, next year, let's go!

1. 30,000 subs. The growth wasn't huge this year, but this is reachable, especially if some of my planned ideas bear fruit.
    2. Get back into regular exercising routine. Again, I'm not in bad shape, but I definitely could be in better shape, and the way I drink this is far from good for me.
    3. Expand my Patreon - thus far, it's brought in more success than I ever could have imagined, but it hasn't quite reached the point where I'm ready to leave work altogether. That's this year's big project, I reckon.
    4. Maintain friendships and stabilize - this year, if nothing else, showed me exactly who my friends were and which relationships I want to maintain - and believe me, that was a bitter pill to swallow, especially in September/October of this year (miserable months on the whole). Let's leave the broken shit in the past and keep moving.
    5. Get back to Europe or at the very least some more travel. I enjoyed the hell out of my time in Portugal (Spain less so), and if I don't abuse the everloving fuck out of my four weeks of vacation on adventuring, it will be a waste. Hoping to do an east coast trip at the very least to Nashville and Atlanta, and probably a bounce across to Italy for good measure. The debt's cleared up, the savings are in, and by god, if I don't run wild now, I'm going to lose my mind even more.

15. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog High Inquisitor

Health:
    Eat right: got about 50% of the way there. I am earing far less now, but I'm still having days of nothing healthy being consumed.
    Lose weight: semi success. I wanted to get down to my pre medical school weight, but that's just not happening. I did drop 10 lbs, and have kept it off.
    Exercise: fail. Couldn't keep it up at all.

2017 goals:
    Cook at least every other day. It doesn't have to be healthy or whatever, but it has to come from my hands. Also, doing extra, like multiple meals in a day doesn't matter. Every 48 hours something has to come out of the kitchen I spent so much money on.

find a job most of the work is already done, but I need a contract in hand by January 2018.

Put myself higher in the priority que.
    time to stop helping everyone but myself first, and take care of me. If I am not for myself, who will be?

16. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Death Eater

2016:
    Failed toward the end of 2016. I found that abstaining from news for a month or two makes me far more balanced in my regular life.

Success.

Failed. About 30k words in.

Missed by 7.

Success. Best grades I ever had this last semester.

Failed. Probably about 30-40.

Failed.

For 2017:

• Finish my first original novel.
    • Good grades.
    • Keep meditating.
    • Keep exercising.

17. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

My new years resolution is to never listen to Maria Carey music again.

18. joshuafaramir

joshuafaramir Unspeakable

My new years resolution is to fit in my 30/30 pants again!

19. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box Prestige

High Score:
    Still at the Post Office, but I've made it up to manager now (by snitching on people's mis-accounting of funds). Enjoying it more, and the pay is...ok, but still not terribly stimulating - although, on the flipside, not that stressful either.

I have written more - I think three updates for 'Hallowed', a chapter or two of original fiction, an update for 'The Wizard and the Writer', and a couple of one-shots. Still not where I want to be in that regard, but it is an improvement.

No joy on the dating front. I did brace myself to ask out a couple of people who I vaguely know through work, only to find out - happily before I asked them - that they were all in relationships already.

No exercise beyond my walk into town. Spending less money...probably haven't made any real cutbacks, but because I'm earning more money it's balancing out. I'll count that as a win. Eating better - probably, yeah. My actual meals are an improvement, but I'm no better than I was at snacking. I'm not unhealthy, or fat, but I can see myself starting down that slope.

So, 2017:

1. Finish a first draft, minimum, of one of my original stories.
    2. Four updates, minimum, to 'Hallowed'.
    3. Two updates, minimum, to 'The Wizard and the Writer'.
    4. Exercise more. The gym more or less over the road from me has changed hands, therefore lowering its prices from £40-£50 a month to around £20, so there's no real excuse for this. I always rather enjoyed it, so it's not even that stopping me.
    5. Actually go away on one of my weeks off, instead of just sitting around the house gaming and binging on Netflix, or the occasional trip to see friends. Not necessarily a trip abroad, but an actual holiday.
    6. Actually commit to trying to organise one date, minimum.
    7. Read more than just the bookclub books each month.
    8. Be better about cleaning/tidying my house.
    9. Cut down on snacking.
    10. Check out IRC, because why not?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  20. 13thadaption

13thadaption Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Meh, I have the usual host of be healthier/tame my schedule/figure out what to do with my life intentions. A couple of which are really relevant, I do need to make plans if I don't want to languish indefinitely where I am career wise, but I like snappy simple-to-fulfill if not actually easy resolutions.

So here it is. I will write something. It will probably be fanfiction. I make no promises it will ever be fit for human eyes, but when I'm inevitably putting off the things I should be doing I will make an effort to sit down and write instead of wasting that time some other way.