1. Hey Guest,

Are you handy with Photoshop? Do you feel the DLP Anakin logo is tired and old? Do you want to win a special as of yet undetermined prize? Join the DLP Banner Photoshop Competition! Fame, fortune, and the respect of your peers await those that enter. Sadness, despair, and a deep self-loathing await those that do not.

Enter the competition.
    Dismiss Notice

2017 New Year Resolutions

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Vira, Dec 30, 2016.

1. TheKidd

TheKidd Squib

1. Lose weight
    2. Get a new job that's not paying minimum wage
    3. In general I want to accomplish something I have not done before

2. The-Hyphenated-One

The-Hyphenated-One Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

My main goal for this year is to travel more. Last year I wanted to see more live music and ended up going to something like 30-35 shows. I've got a UK trip booked already, hoping to get one more big trip in before 2018 hits.

3. Vaimes

Vaimes First Year

1. Be a better student. Take handwritten notes, then copy them over to a Google Doc. Actually read over them, and not the night before I need to demonstrate the knowledge. Try to cut back on procrastinating in general, but mostly on assignments. I usually do the bare minimum in all of my classes, but I'd at least like to make an attempt not to slack.

2. Spend more time improving my Russian. I'm getting stuck in a loop of only consuming media that's easy and familiar rather than exposing myself to more challenging content. Three+ years and I still struggle to speak with any degree of fluency, heh. Reading and writing skills are pretty solid though.

3. Save money for a vague abroad solo-trip I want to go on at some point this year. Just gonna take like $20-$40 out of each paycheck and stash it in a tin.

4. Clean my house, and keep it clean.

5. Take better care of myself in general, 'cause I've been kind of a mess since August.

6. Oh, and I guess try to poke my head out of Little Italy and explore more of DLP. I've been here for almost three years and I still feel like a hermit hiding in your basement.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  4. Hamburger

Hamburger Squib DLP Supporter

High Score:
    1) Be more physically active and become unfat. I just turned 30 am in the worst shape of my life, and that's probably not how I want to start off my 30s.

2) Continue to put in the work for, and eventually obtain, a work promotion. I started my career late and am having to sprint to make up for lost time, but I would ideally like to be managing a team of my own by next year.

3) Make progress on my book. I promised myself I'd be published by 30, and here I am with only a handful of chapters written...

4) Read at least 100 books this year. Trying to aim to review more, but eh, I'm lazy.

5) Pet more dogs.

5. HowU

HowU Squib

High Score:
    1. Gain weight
    2. Pay more attention to my health

6. Zerg_Lurker

Zerg_Lurker Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Halfway through the year with the end of June and figured I'd bump this thread so people can check in.

I haven't made any in years since I oppose the notion on principle.

However, I've been pretty happy with my progress over the past year and can safely say that I'm better off mentally, physically, and financially, than I was at the beginning of 2017. I've sustained a positive mindset for a while now and I'm mostly sure it's not just a manic phase, so I just wanted to share that.

How is everyone doing on their resolutions?

7. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog High Inquisitor

I'm a little behind on my every 48 hours of cooking. I am being inconsistent with it, but I'm definetly getting every 96 hours, and some days every 24. So I'm working on it.

I'm exercising 3 times a week, and I've been doing that pretty reliably for 3 months now, so thats an add-on resolution.

I've been good about putting myself higher in priority.
    So, 65% success?

8. Oz

Oz Heir to Hogwarts Moderator DLP Supporter

30 pounds down, but only been serious for the last month tbh.
    Only 1700km fo far. We'll see how this one goes...
    Abject failure lol. Drinking less than last year but still far too much.
    Gonna try execute this around September/October.
    Been skiing in Andorra, spent a few days in Egypt with Lyndon, going to Portugal in a few weeks and Hungary in November, probably going to be in Poland at some point. Also seen a ton of the Irish countryside by bikw that I hadn't seen before. I'd consider this a success already.

Happy enough with how things are going so far.

requesting u to change name to shouldabeenadogtor

9. Invictus

Invictus Heir

1- Done. Reached it a while back and I've been able to maintain it.

2- Done too. With some exceptions (or more than a few) and the one day of the week for trash food, I've been able to eat healthy and def am eating less outside food. Not cooking a lot though. Or even more than somewhat.

3- Was doing well. Really well. Then I got a second job. Then I got exams. Now I'm struggling badly with this. I hope to improve next month though.

4- Meeeh. Only reason I managed to achieve this one for now it's because last years was really that bad.

5- Done, actually pretty well. Not networking though.

6- Got one going. Stopped at 30k or so. Gave up on quests altogether.

10. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    1. Fail

2. I didn't put on more weight, at least...

3. As far as real life goes, this one is the most inconsequential, so naturally I succeeded there. #priorities

4. Pfffffffft

5. Oh Christ

6. Yeah, no

7. Ha! I did that one!

It's looking rather pathetic so far, but the year is not over yet.

11. The Pro

The Pro Seventh Year

High Score:
    I'm proud to say that I've accomplished all of my New Year's Resolutions. I improved my grades drastically, improved my relationships as well and I've got a job to boot. I feel oddly accomplished now.

12. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box Prestige

High Score:
    1. I came up with a vague plan for an entirely new bit of original writing, science fiction rather than fantasy. Haven't written any though.
    2. 1 down, number two is about 4500 words done (so keep an eye on the thread, fans!)
    3. Nope. Maybe I can turn it into a Christmas tradition instead...
    4. Nope.
    5. Not so far, although I do want to get into the Doctor Who Experience before it closes later this year. Only problem is someone to go with.
    6. Nope. I signed up to a different dating app, but didn't really do much with it.
    7. Patchy. Some months yes, others no.
    8. Umm...some improvement, I guess.
    9. /typing post while making my way through a huge bag of Doritos.
    10. Nope.

13. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Groundskeeper

Six-month progress.

1. Check
    2. No, semester results came back with 6.25 so I'll need to work on that.
    3. Smoking more?
    4. Reading about the same amount.
    5. Joined gym but have been slacker than I'd like.
    6. no luck.

1 out of 6 is pretty meh. So for the next 6 months, I'd like to keep my job, hit the gym more and try and boost my GPA to a 6.75 for the semester. Those three are probably the most important as well as being the closest I am to being able to achieve.

14. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Started working on larger projects.. not the way I intended, but whatever. Also some bonus learning I didn't expect to achieve.

Fell off the gym wagon (admittedly in May), just getting back on. Primary medical stuff taken care of, secondary stuff still unattended to.

Lol. Still, started spending more time with friends, and doing other "social" stuff.

No fiction, though I have written a bit of non-fiction (essays, concepts, etc).

Ish.

One success and half-points in everything else - with half the year to go - not bad.

15. Seyllian

Seyllian Professor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What's your GPA system? I thought 4.0 was pretty standard.

16. Solfege

Solfege High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Looks like Australia has a 7 point scale.

17. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Groundskeeper

I'm on an 80% average

18. Avery

Avery Second Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    1. Still dating the same person (LDR). As of today, eleven months.
    2. Slipping on exercising because of a trainer that constantly cancels on me. Plus work. Been giving into carbs/sugar lately. My regret is a living thing.
    3. Company isn't giving anyone a bonus this year. However, I did finish my probation. Got my business cards!
    4. The muses are deader than dead.