1. The second prompt is revealed! (Q2 2018)

"Breaking into Snape's office in the middle of the night was a risky move at the best of times..."

Deadline is June 18th, also known as the 22nd Anniversary of a seriously sad day—a tremendously black day for anyone.

As with before you can check out the new thread discussing scoring, rules, and other such matters in the in the Story Competitions forum.

Dismiss Notice

2018 New Year's Resolutions

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by daringndreaminx, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Oz

Oz UNQUESTIONABLY THE MOST HETERO MAN IN THE WORLD Moderator DLP Supporter

1. lose about sixty pounds

40/60. So, fail.

2. cycle at least 5000km, but aim for over 10,000

Cycled about 3,500km total. Most of it on Strava, some not. Fail.

3. don't drink

LOL. Fail.

4. new job

Interviewing with a few places atm but it'll be early February at a minimum by the time I get a new job. Fail.

5. travel some more

Went to Andorra, Egypt, Portugal, Budapest, saw a lot more of Ireland. Success.

This year was also the first time I didn't make a resolution to run the marathon and the first year I actually fucking do. <_<

2018 goals:

1. Run 365 miles.
    1a. Knock an hour off my marathon time from this year (4:52:00 or faster).
    2. Cycle 3650km.
    2a. Finish the Mile Failte randonee (1200km).
    3. Get that new job.
    4. Lose 50 more pounds.
    5. Travel more.

2. Xepheria

Xepheria The Benefactor

High Score:
    Resolutions for 2018:

1) Start budgeting properly.
    1b) Massively cut back on nights out. Both my liver and wallet can't take it for much longer.

2) Devise and stick to a calisthenics routine.
    2b) Be able to do a handstand push up by the end of the year.

3) Fight at least twice more this year (and train for them properly!).

4) Get a job and save up money to train in Thailand for a few months,

3. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Auror

Cook- did much better, got about one every 3 days, so I'll take it.
    Job- contact is in hand.
    Me- got a girlfriend instead. So that's a fail. But the best kind.
    All in all 2017 was one of my better years.

2018 resolution:

1) One weekend a month is date weekend.
    Relationships take work, and I need time to make it work, so one weekend is reserved.

2) exercise every day, with up to 30% failure. I'll be using a habit tracking app.

3) read one book every season.

4. Vira

Vira Order Member

[​IMG]

Yeah, I’m a year early, but let’s not go ahead with the post I wrote late at night and while ;_; over my book. I need a real list.

2018:

1. Finish draft three of my book. (Due day: May). Quite possible now that I’ve fixed (omg don’t jinx it) my biggest issue. Just need to work hard.

2. Get a government job! Quit my current awful job!

3. Move out or be ready to move out.

4. Lose thirty pounds.

5. Be kind, especially to myself.

6. NO MORE ONLINE SHOPPING. Jesus Christ. No more clothing unless a) it’s necessary and I will legitimately die or lose my job over it, or b) it’s that fabled black trench coat of my dreams. However, to go with goal five, I will allow myself three (3) scarf purchases. NO MORE.

7. Get my chess rating comfortably over 1500, maybe 1600. I started playing chess again at the beginning of 2017 and got from 1100 to 1400, so this is doable. Maybe I should buy a couple chess books.

8. Draw more. I seriously fell off the wagon at the tail end of the year.

9. Cook at least twice a week.

10. Stare longingly at my dream of learning French UNLESS I find a better way of learning it that’s not Duolingo. Maybe join a French club. Maybe I have time for that.

5. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Headmaster DLP Supporter

I don't even remember what 90% of my resolutions for 2017 were, but I'm feeling pretty ambitious this year.

I lost 30 pounds over the course of 2017, and I'm going to go back to the gym. I'd fallen off the wagon thanks to a persistent shoulder injury and then a schedule that left me with almost zero time off for the last eight months. Thankfully, I've addressed that now and should be able to work it in.

Finish my bachelor's degree in August.

Get a job, hopefully related to my degree :D

Move to one of the coasts for aforementioned job.

Launch a web business I've been contemplating for a while.

Read, at minimum, a book a week all year. I'm going to actually try to aim for a book a day, but that one just needs a single illness or stumbling block to fail so I'm going to set realistic goals. To that end, I bought a new kindle oasis at @Constans ' urging.

Write a few specific programs that I've had on the brain. I'd like to do some sentiment analysis, and algorithmic trading of options/futures/currencies(maybe even crypto). More data analysis/modeling for things like econometrics.

Start a new sport. Either a martial art like Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, the university rugby team, or fencing.

Buy a new car. Mine got totaled in November and riding a motorcycle through winter will not be fun.

Finish writing my original novel.

Formalize and finish several research papers I've had on the brain. Some stuff about automated vehicles, a lot of political analyses and proposals.

Make some progress on my tv/anime/movie backlog

Continue learning spanish again. I understand most of what I hear, but I'd like to be able to say I'm conversational at a professional level.

Huh, I'd been working on pretty much all of this or planning on it without really tying it to "new years resolutions" as such. Now that I've written it all down it seems a bit much. Oh well, if I accomplish more than half of it I could call it a pretty successful year.

6. Taure

Taure Magical Core Enthusiast Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Going to avoid "keep doing stuff I would do anyway" type resolutions like "keep going with Spanish" and "get better at my job".

Let's get specific:

1. Go to the gym 5 times/week instead of the current 3 times/week. This will allow me to reintroduce cardio (Tues/Thurs) as well as keep going with strength (Mon/Weds/Fri). Sad consequence is having to get up early every weekday (and therefore having to go to bed early) but I imagine once I'm in the habit it will actually be easier to maintain.

2. Eat out a maximum of 2 times a week. Mostly to save more money. Most of the time when I order food it's simply because I haven't had time to go grocery shopping and have no food in the house. So a bit more organisation and this should be pretty achievable.

3. Make a serious effort to go on some dates. Alas this probably means Tinder, as work has nothing on that front and most of my hobbies are not "meeting people" type things. I'm turning 30 this year so I should probably get a move on with this shit.

4. Finish Victoria Potter Part 1 (or at the very least, Year 1).

As a consequence of the above taking up my free time...

5. Play less EU4.

7. Anarchy

Anarchy Fourth Champion DLP Supporter

1) Finish a story.

8. Ludwig

Ludwig Third Year DLP Bronze Supporter

High Score:
    1) Actually start writing instead of just complaining about what people write.

2) Do well in College (starting in May)

3) Relearn how to play the Violin

I give it 5 months before I give up

9. Oz

Oz UNQUESTIONABLY THE MOST HETERO MAN IN THE WORLD Moderator DLP Supporter

We're kind of near the middle of the year. Ish. Good time to check in and see how things are going, and correct course if you've let things slide.
    Technically a little behind on this, but I didn't start running again until April. Should hit the 365 mile mark at the beginning of September with my current training schedule.
    Should be very achievable so long as I don't get injured. Marathon is the end of October so plenty of time.

Unlikely at this stage, been prioritising running over cycling.

Definite fail.

Maybe.

Halfway there.

TBC.

How's everyone else getting on?

10. CareOtters

CareOtters Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

For perhaps the first time ever, some of mine have been hit.

The successes:

- Git gud at cooking.

Finally learned not just how to cook, but how to really enjoy doing it, so I've completely cut out takeaway food, pre-made store bought crap, and fizzy drinks in favour of a homecooked meal every day, making my own lunches, and even preparing breakfast ahead of time so I can grab it in my early morning haze.

- Fix my ridiculous sleeping pattern.

Sleeping a regular 7+ hours almost every day after years and years of insomnia. There are no words for how good this feels. It's as if a perpetual hangover has been lifted.

- Cut down on the recreational drug use

It's down from every weekend to make me have a good time with people I don't like to the more sporadic occasions when I'm in the good company of people I actually enjoy spending time with. I'm including alcohol in this, so I've also had quite a bit more spending money available.

- Move back to paper books

I've bought a lovely Billy Bookcase from IKEA and I'm filling it up slowly. Ongoing project is to get the gorgeous collectors edition hardbacks of the Discworld. A bit pricey, so I'm spreading them out at one a month. Should have the whole collection in another two years at this rate, which is probably also how long it'll take me to re-read them.

The failures:

- Get a better job. Eh. I got through to the final interview for a substantial promotion, but I botched it. And I can't even claim it was due to my inexperience, lack of qualifications compared to the competitors, etc (even thought these are all true). I fucked it up myself by being shite in the interview. Still, I made myself apply for it, so it's all experience.

- Write more. Hah. Hah. I think I've written less than ten thousand words so far this year. Gonna try to 500 club the thing I just started though, so maybe this isn't lost yet.

- Finish Skyrim. Uh. I mean, this is never going to happen. Every so often I try, replay the same opening hour, and then shelf it for another few months.

- Visit family. Uh. Again, probably never going to happen. I should make the effort, but I have no idea when my guilty conscience will overcome my hatred of eight hour train journeys.

11. Vira

Vira Order Member

[​IMG]

GOODBYE YOU FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT

no baby i didn't mean it

Complete as of... ten minutes ago? Yeah okay. Next is two months of editing, then it's time to kick down people's doors and throw my book in their faces.

DONE. Quite a good job too (not including salary). Still ditching it because Vancouver prices kill my soul, but ya know. Progress.

One year at my new job and I get to laterally transfer to anywhere in the province. Hmm, buried in snow, burned in forest fires, or die to inevitable mega earthquake? Decisions.

I think I gained thirty pounds. *frowns*

Ehhh.

RIP. Failed almost immediately.

Got chess rating over 1500. Proceeded to get kicked into the next bracket in a tournament and my rating feeeeelllllllll. If you find my rating, please return it to me so I can bury it in a nice place.

I'm trying, my love, I'm trying.

New job, no more time. My poor stomach.

TIME WHAT IS THIS NONSENSE?

12. Lindsey

Lindsey Death Eater

I was planning on reviving this next month to see where everyone was, as on June 1st, we will already be halfway through the year (kill me now). Now, I shall just do it early.

Ps. Congrats on finishing the draft of the novel @Vira. I'm hoping to have my rough draft done this year. Only about 75,000 words to go... yay...

Ha. Hahaha. I fell off this bandwagon months ago. BUTTTTT, I have been running as cardio is what I need to improve. Let's see if I continue that over the summer.

Ehhhh? Javascript course counts? While I would love to do this still, but something became way more pressing in my life: getting a new job. This is my next goal for the next month or two.

Fucking NAILED it. I've been writing 750 words a day since mid march. I've written 53,247 fucking words since Mid-March.

Not bad. Didn't get a good enough raise (reason 552 for looking for a new job), but doing good with what I got. We ended up getting a second roommate which is gonna lower our expenses. I did open a Roth IRA and an investment portfolio to get a little bit of extra money before my trip.