2nd amendment / gun discussion thread: Keep it in here

Discussion in 'Politics' started by LogrusMage, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Alistair

Alistair First Year

True, but self-defense is not a valid reason for firearm owership in the UK, so any issues about immediate access in an emergency are circumvented. Plus American legal system =/= UK legal system.

Also, this condition is only really enforceable because we have firearms licensing officers who come and check security personally and can refuse to grant a certificate to own a firearm if they are not satisfied of the storage condition. It's not clear cut what constitutes 'secure' in this context so a 'professional' is called upon to make the decision. It can also vary depending on local crime rate, general security of your house, number and type of firearms etc.

2. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony Prestige

High Score:
    Yeah, you can't really compare legislation in a place where it's a strictly limited government-granted privilege to one where it's a fundamental constitutional right on par with Freedom of Speech, Jury Trial, and so on.

3. Alistair

Alistair First Year

In the interest of Pedantry, firearm, or at least shotgun ownership is still a right, not a privilege in the UK. The relevant law (which I can't be bothered to find), specifically states that "A certificate shall be granted...", as long as the applicant fullfils the conditions (i.e no criminal record in the last 5 years, never been incarcerated longer than 3, secure storage in place.) Effictively everyone has the right unless they are specifically excluded from the right by the legislation. I expect this sort of loop hole is in place in the US as well, possibly for things such as right to vote for criminals, foreign nationals etc?

4. Hw597

Hw597 Seventh Year

I didn't intend to compare.
    Hell I didn't intend to even make a legislative argument.

The current legal setup and overall relationship Americans have with guns _is_ the problem.
    Repeal the laws, ammend the constitution. Frankly do whatever u need because it isn' working.

To me it makes far more sense to set a goal and then change whatever the hell is needed to make that reality.
    So what is the American goal?

Because it seems strangely as if the goal is to maintain everything as is.