1. The second prompt is revealed! (Q2 2018)

"Breaking into Snape's office in the middle of the night was a risky move at the best of times..."

Deadline is June 18th, also known as the 22nd Anniversary of a seriously sad day—a tremendously black day for anyone.

As with before you can check out the new thread discussing scoring, rules, and other such matters in the in the Story Competitions forum.

Dismiss Notice

500 for 500

Discussion in 'FanFic Discussion' started by Nuhuh, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Moderator

Done. Welcome.

2. Anarchy

Anarchy Fourth Champion DLP Supporter

I feel like an asshole now, because I completely forgot about this group, and I've been writing a lot and not posting it.

3. Voice of the Nephilim

Voice of the Nephilim Death Eater DLP Supporter

It's been roughly a year since I started with 500/500, fresh out of my short ban. Prior to March of 2011, I had three stories up, totalling close to maybe 300k words in three years.

In the past year, I've written about 200k words, wrote several long one-shots, and finished my first multi-chapter story. And became far better at writing.

All of which are owed to Nuhuh's initiative, which forced me to get off my ass and actually start producing. So cheers to you, Nuhuh.

4. Zenzao

Zenzao 500 Club King Prestige DLP Bronze Supporter

High Score:
    I'd like to give a brief Thank You to Nuhuh for starting the 500 club.

Like Voice, I've written far, far more than I ever would have done without it, and I'm pretty sure that I've become a better writer for it- in one years time, I've written 252,840 words.

Without the 500 club, I wouldn't have even bothered entering any of the previous Monthly Contests, and I probably wouldn't have progressed much farther with any other story or idea beyond the initial idea in my mind for fear of the criticism.

So again, Thank You.

5. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Cheers, Nuhuh. Though I probably would have been writing anyways, 500 no doubt encouraged me to write more. Since March 13th, I've written roughly 115k words, and finished one "full-length" story - more than I'd ever expected at the time.

6. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Very impressive you guys. I personally have been using 750words.com to do pretty much the same thing (but obviously with 750 words instead of 500) because it hectors you into it :3

7. Hawkin

Hawkin Minister of Magic

I've taken inspiration from the 500 club and I wanted to mention it here how awesome the idea is. A friend of mine wanted to try writing fiction but couldn't put her mind to it. I suggest doing the 500 words per day.

Things escalated from there and I've found myself with a bunch of friends who wants to participate and it has evolved into a contest of some sort.

Each week, we set a genre, a theme and a challenge. We write 3 x 500 words per week. If you manage to do 500 words+ per text you get 1 point. If you follow the genre for your text, +1 point and so on. Whoever get the most point will win a prize.

I've decided to make the prize a compilation of our entries for this summer (since the project is only for the summer for now) and it will also be autograph by George R.R. Martin whom I've managed to contact.

I wanted to thank you for the wonderful idea. I would never have thought of it without DLP and I'm having so much fun organizing all of this at the moment! I thought you guys would like to see what your imagination inspired in others.

8. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That's pretty damn awesome. I'm impressed something from DLP actually made it off the internet (Meet-ups excluded). :p

9. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I'm happy our idea has helped you all to achieve some pretty damn significant results. It just goes to show, even if you only do a little every day. It will add up and you will get what you want.

10. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    True dat.

Words on the page, even if you think it the worst shit ever written, are worth infinitely more than the best idea stuck in your head.

It will never live up to your expectations, so get it on the page - one word at a time.

11. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Moderator

Wow...I am amazed at the last few posts. Congrats to you all to sticking with this group and really making something for yourselves out of it.

Fuck, I am emotionally moved by something on DLP...and it doesn't even involve redheads.

much love.

12. Zenzao

High Score:
    Hope y'all don't mind another bump?

Today, 3/16/13, marks a year since the last word-count rundown on 3/16/12. As it stands at this moment, I've written another 218,808 words. That amounts to a handful of fanfic updates across the board, a couple of new stories posted, and one anthology submission completed, with two more attempts treading water.

I'd like to give another heartfelt Thank You to Nuhuh for starting the 500 Club.

It hasn't always been easy, and on some days I've really felt the pressure to get something cranked out, but I've always done my level best to get an entry in for every single day - and barring a few circumstances(hurricane and aftermath, site-related issues), I've come pretty close to pulling that off.

And in the years to come, I hope to keep it going so long as DLP endures.

13. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter

We still need to get the non-fanfic version of 500 club going. Unless this one wasn't just for fanfic?

14. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box Prestige

High Score:
    Not as far as I know; so long as it was writing, it qualified.

I really need to get back in the habit of this. I had a great start to the year, at least compared to the second half of 2012, but I've not written anything in ages. Kudos to you on that score Zenzao.

15. Zenzao

High Score:
    It's that time of the year again, folks. Hard to believe this is the third in a row already.

Since last March 16th, I've knocked out another 235'406 words, which translates out to 1 Antho submission confirmed, another in judgment; about three or four updates to then-currently posted stories, and a few more put up since; in the range of a dozen challenge responses answered, some few turned into proper stories; further progression on my first original High Fantasy piece, mostly in the realm of refining, and a start to three separate High Fantasy pieces, two of which are sword-and-sorcery themed and the third a more classic dwarves/elves/humans/spiders theme; and a small ton of plotting and stream-of-thought- to the tune of 50k words alone!

To the best of my knowledge I've made it a year-straight without failure.

So, on behalf of my progress as a writer and author, another heart-felt thank you Nuhuh for making The 500 Club! Without it - and therefore you - I would never had grown this far, this soon.

16. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Upgrade to my level. the 2k Club. :3

But all the same, awesome man! :D

17. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

You guys make me feel inadequate.

18. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler Prestige

High Score:
    I should really restart this. Damn.

19. Zenzao

High Score:
    I appreciate it :D

But 2k a day? Seriously? Holy shit. That's a goal to work toward one day, wow.

A little every day, guys. A little every day. Even if its just hypothesis on where you want your fic(s) to go, plotting that can change the next time you take a look at it, just get something down.

20. Lyrium

Lyrium Sent Back to India

Can I join this?

It's super inspiring.