1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

500 GB External harddrive

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by Jamven, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

I was thinking about picking me up an external HD. Low and behold I received an email linking me to this product. I do not know anything about the manufacture of this HD. So I was wondering if anyone knows if this is a good deal? Has anyone bought one in the past and if so have you had any trouble with it?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  2. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I've had Iomega products before. Not bad, really. Pretty reliable. Never had this specific model though. Iomega, though, ends up being pretty good.

3. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

I got a 320 GB Western Digital external HD for Christmas last year and it works great, I have had no problems with it at all . I have never tried Iomega but I would assume that it isn't that much different from any other external HD.

4. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Go to Newegg.com look over their stock, and read the reviews. Hands down best place online to get new PC products. I love my new Samsung 400gb I got. It's quiet as hell, while only running 3 degress hotter then my loud as shit Maxtor

5. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

Maxtor = Dogshit. I hate my old maxtor drive so much it's not funny anymore.

Looks for reviews saying it's quiet and not hot. Quiet'd be the number one thing I'd look for in an external, as heat can usually be regulated easily by opening it up and puttin' a fan directly on it.

6. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

I'll agree about Newegg. I bought some miscellaneous parts from them quite a while back and then most of my computer the last time I did a major upgrade. I've never had a problem with them.
    Last time I bought a CPU from them, like a dumb shit, I wasn't paying attention and bought the right CPU with the WRONG pin count. I didn't notice until I had it over the ZIF socket. :eek:
    I returned the opened CPU to them and got the right one with no fuss whatsoever. Pretty classy. It may have amused them that I described myself as an ignorant moron when I requested an RMA number...

I was desperate for HD space and was going to order a Western Digital 750gb external HD from them just recently, as they had the lowest price online, but Best Buy had it on sale and with my discount it ended up being about 70 dollars cheaper... I have a love/hate thing going on with Best Buy, ugh. Anyway, yeah, Newegg is a good site.

I don't know anything about TigerDirect these days, but back in the stone age I ordered my first PC (that I didn't have to share, that is) from them. Though I can't precisely put my finger on why I felt this way, the cumulative effect was that, for as long as I had that PC, the experience left a bad taste in my mouth. Like I said, that was over a decade ago, though there may be a reason why they're rated at 2 stars compared to Newegg's 4...

That said, Tiger appears to have the lowest price on the Iomega at the moment. I owned an Iomega Zip Drive waaay back when but I don't know anything about their hard drives. Good luck with the purchase.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  7. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Yeah I know what you mean about Best Buy. I bought my Antec 900 case from then for 20$ more then I could of gotten it from Newegg, but when I factored in the shipping, I actually saved 20$, lol.

Yet I go there to buy FF12, and they've still got it in store at 50$, along with a bunch of old ass Ps2 games priced higher then new PS3 ones.

The only other online store I bother with is Tigerdirect.com, sometimes they have lower prices then newegg, but mainly I shop there for huge items, b/c I can have them ship it to their store 20 minutes down the road and save 30$+ on shipping for waiting an extra 2-3 days.

Their customer service ppl in store though are a bunch of fucking idiots. I went in there to pick up my 680i mobo and my e6600 core 2 around X-mas, and I watched a rep talk this dude into buying a Fx-62, with a nice shiny, no way useable, 939 socket mobo that wasn't the AM2 socket he needed to actually USE that chip, followed up with some expensive ass Dominator series RAM, that runs worse then my ballistix tracers, for twice the price.

I stepped in, embrassed the poor bastard by explaining what he did.

The customer was all thankful, until I told him the following.

Me: "Don't thank me, you'll be back."

Him: Why, do I need more stuff?

Me: "No, because building a PC the caliber of what you're attempting to do
    shouldn't even be attempted by some poor retard who doesn't even know he can't force a AM2 socket processor, to fit in a socket 939 mobo."

Him: Why not?

Me: "Point fucking made."

Dude at the register totals me out, 500$. For top of the line mobo + Core 2 Duo chip.

Guy gets totaled out next to me, 700ish for the chip, 200 for the mobo, came to like 940 with tax, then the dumbfuck adds in an extended warranty for 50$. The RAM? Oh he put the RAM BACK b/c he said he was going to pull the RAM out of his Gateway PC and reuse that.... lmmfao

I remember distinctly laughing my ass off. He paid double for a chip and mobo that are outdone by my chip. Not just outdone, but BLOW the fuck away once I overclocked my chip, which was as easy as hitting the + key a few times to raise the clock speeds. Not to mention using 4 year old RAM, he completely wasted his cash

8. CelticWarrior

CelticWarrior Second Year