1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Are you any good at cooking? Got a favourite recipe that you love to cook or bring out to impress that special someone? Why not share it! A new forum called The Burrow has opened and it's all about homemaking!

WIP A Dead World(Fallout New Vegas/Prototype) by Laluzi

Discussion in 'Other Review Board' started by Zombie, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Title: A Dead World
    Author: Laluzi
    Rating: M
    Genre: Adventure/Suspense
    Words: 369,865
    Link: FFN, SB
    Summary: He had been captured; Alex Mercer knew that much was obvious. But if that was the case, why had his captors just left him there without security? How had he ended up in a bunker buried in some kind of giant desert? Where was everyone? And when the hell did bottlecaps become currency?

Flat out, I'll give this fic a 4/5. It would be 5/5 but there are some minor issues with it. Namely I think that Alex's personality is overly angsty, and the way the courier handles the gradual reveal of what Alex truly is a bit better than I thought they would.

They try to, at length, explain their reasoning for why they do handle it as well as they do, and the courier is basically an SI for the author.

Overall I found the pacing and structure great, even though at times it feels like you're on the main questline of NV. Even then, its an exploration of the game's world that made me have to go back and play NV because of some of the commentary and character interaction that I completely missed.

While Prototype is a hard fit in the Fallout world, this somehow just works. And I like how Mercer copes with being so far into the future in a world that is nothing like what he went to sleep to.

It's got pretty steady update rate, not frequent, but not so infrequent you have to go re-read the entire thing again.

So, give it a shot. I think you'll enjoy it.

2. Agayek

Agayek Dark Lord

I've been reading this one for a while, and I really enjoy it. The characterization is spot-on from the games, for the characters that had character in their game, and it's quite well written. One of my favorite active stories right now.

Personally, I rate it a solid 5/5, but maybe I'm just easier to please given how much I adore both Prototype and New Vegas and how hard it is to find quality fics of either.

3. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Only thing I hate about it is how much of a bitch Alex can be sometimes.

4. Gengar

Gengar Polymagus Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I remember dropping it a while ago for similar reasons.

5. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Tactical Tomato DLP Supporter

3/5. Story is decent, but damn if the author doesn't manage to say fuck all in as many words as possible. Definitely not a subscriber to the 'less is more' theory.

6. LORANT92

LORANT92 Squib

High Score:
    To be fair, Alex being a ridiculous edgelord is basically true to Prototype. It can be a bother sometimes, but a bigger issue for me is that he's pretty much a blanket solution to what are supposed to be challenges otherwise.

Still, the characterisation and writing overall is enjoyable, and there's precious few New Vegas (or for that matter, Fallout in general) fanfictions that I can say this about. For now I'd give this a 3/5.

7. Paradise

Paradise Slug Club Member DLP Supporter

It's pretty good, I have similar complaints about Alex's general edgy and bitchiness but it's handle well 4/5

8. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    They've pushed out several updates here recently after a period of inactivity. I keep meaning to catch up.