1. The second prompt is revealed! (Q2 2018)

"Breaking into Snape's office in the middle of the night was a risky move at the best of times..."

Deadline is June 18th, also known as the 22nd Anniversary of a seriously sad day—a tremendously black day for anyone.

As with before you can check out the new thread discussing scoring, rules, and other such matters in the in the Story Competitions forum.

Dismiss Notice

WIP A Practical Guide to Evil by Erraticerrata - T - Original Fantasy

Discussion in 'Original Fiction' started by DvorakQ, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Nazgus

Nazgus Headmaster

It's not really in her nature to admit defeat like that. As much as I'd enjoy having Akua as the monster on the leash, if you go back and reread one of her interludes, she's someone who will always struggle for control. She'll play her cards, work her way into the best position possible sure. But she doesn't care about being on the winning train unless she's the one driving it.

2. Koalas

Koalas Squib Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That was before being turned into a +5 Chancellors Cloak. I feel like the act of being turned into a magical item would have some form of impact on the soul. Akua's also clearly been doing some mental gymnastics with regards to her relationship with Cat, if for no other reason then to 'justify' her loss.

3. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage Prestige

High Score:
    It's one of the rare cases where Akua is both, the hero that Callow needs and the one it deserves. Sad to see it only lasting for such a short time but am looking forward for more.

4. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I disagree. It’s like the others said about her being bound to the cloak. She’s had to change her entire world view because of being bound to the cloak. In the interlude she thinks of Cat as a kind of lover for her. She’s not gonna try and overthrow her so much as insinuate herself as much as possible into Cats life. She wants to be relied upon to the point where she’s basically the devil on the shoulder. She might not be able to takeover but being the number 1 advisor to who she sees as the next triumphant is the next best thing.

5. Nazgus

Nazgus Headmaster

I really don't think she has.

I even went back and reread it to be sure, but I see nothing in it that doesn't fit within the narrative of her waiting for the best time to strike. I guess you could assume she's legit, but I really don't see why you would.

On a different note, the new chapter is out.

6. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Jazz Hands!!!

Cat's back and I miss Akua already. Never thought I'd say that, but I think disposablehead hit on why--we've kind of reached the point where Cat's tone of narration is 'world-weary'. Not without reason, sure, but I'm getting world-weary from her being so world-weary.

Though part of that might just be that it doesn't really feel deserved right now? I mean, while her side's two biggest Named were down and the other side had two bigger Named and an extra ten for funsies, and they accomplished not all that much while she was gone. Whereas if it was Cat fighting a side that was missing all it's Named, they'd all be dead.

Yeah, the losses are bad and all, but your army is still here, somehow. Look at the bright-side.

7. Koalas

Koalas Squib Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I was curious if Akua was somehow more efficient with Winter then Cat was but no, she's just strictly better at using the power. I'm seeing a lot more Akua mentorship in the future.

8. Nazgus

Nazgus Headmaster

Newest chapter felt incredibly short.

All they did was decide how they're going to refer to each other during the negotiations. That was literally it.

I'm not alone in feeling like quality has dropped since they went up to 3/week am I? Even copy editing mistakes are slipping through.

9. Stealthy

Stealthy Fifth Year

Was definitely short. Much more than usual. If the next chapter is super-sized to compensate then I'll be okay with it, since it'd make some structural sense to have this prelude chapter done before accomplishing negotiations in the next one. Assuming that the next chapter actually makes real progress. Like goddamn, I like the Pilgrim and all, but if he fucking derails negotiations and draws this bastard out I will never forgive him. We're nearly 30 chapters in and still in the first stage of the Crusade. Can't say I've disliked any particular part of it (aside from the pacing), but I'm tired of it. I'm past that point. Wrap it up and toss me an Interlude of Black in the Vales or better yet give me the Free Cities. The Tyrant's fun.

Said it with Book 3, but I dunno if the multi-update schedule is hurting the story or saving it. Having to deal with Kaleidoscope over the course of a month and a half would be fucking excruciating, but maybe the author would tighten the bastard up if that was the case. I figure the chapter-by-chapter progress has mostly slowed down - especially whenever there's downtime in the story - but on a week-by-week basis we're still on an increase.

Also, story needs more quips. Sure, I get why there's less than in Book 2 thematically and whatnot, but at the end of the day Errata is fucking phenomenal at banter. Write more of it.

10. CareOtters

CareOtters Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

'sup d00ds

...sorry. I'm better than that.

Does anyone know a way to download this, ideally to a .epub or .mobi format? I'm totally into the first chapter, but I've recently got in the habit of reading fanfiction offline, and the usual converter I use isn't compatible with Wordpress.

I'm very engaged so far. I was convinced I wouldn't like it, but it seems to be tightly written and edited to a professional standard, and I've completely changed my opinion already.

Edit: I need to up my google-fu. http://www.omnibuser.com/ for anyone else interested.

11. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage Prestige

High Score:
    That's so helpful, I'll forgive the d00ds thing. Might give worm 2 a shot now that I can read that on the train.

As the story, I really enjoyed the Akua chapters and the Cat and Archer conversation, but yeah, glad that the crusade thing seems to be wrapping up for now, barring something "unexpected".

12. Lamora

Lamora Definitely Not Batman

I think Cat is actually going to manage to forge this truce.

Then Saint is going up and say 'well that's nice, but I'm Heaven's favorite holy roller', cut through the truce and try to take Cat down, over the protestations and reluctant support of the Pilgrim and co., and Cat's going to put her first old legend in the grave. Here's why:

There was a shit ton of foreshadowing in this chapter near the end. Most notably, while Cat was setting herself up as a 'villain was actually an anti-hero' story (which is pretty true for the whole Woe, let's be honest), she mentioned that the second part of that story is usually 'anti hero and heroes band against common bigger evil'. While the obvious in-story answer is Praes, the meta answer that the reader knows is that Triumphant is almost certainly coming.

What is less obvious is that the Gods Above and Below almost certainly know the same thing, considering Triumphant has been plonking around all this time in one of the Hells.

If Cat puts this sort of offer on the table for the Gods Above, I think they grab it with both hands, because they know Triumphant is coming and they badly need the kind of competency that Cat has clearly been demonstrating. Naturally, the Gods Below are going to be making counterplay to ensure that Cat stays on Team Evil, but that makes both teams who are trying to win Cat.

Meanwhile, Cat already said it earlier - Saint is just Ranger with shiny paint on. And both Saint and Ranger, as far as stories go, are kind of...shitty. The whole reason the Gods put their thumbs on the scale narratively speaking is to solve the wager of Fate, and neither Ranger nor Saint contribute much towards the resolution of that. They're both simply killers - Saint of Good, Ranger of sort of neutrality. If they have any counterpart on the side of Evil, it's Assassin if anyone.

I think if it's Cat with her 'offer' of future team-up (against Triumphant, though she doesn't know that yet) vs the worth of Saint, I think the Gods Above take their thumbs off the scale.

And then it's Cat and Evil vs Saint. If Saint wins, she was more useful anyway. If Cat does...then the Gods Above have a team up.

The second sort of duality going on (of which there are many in this series) is Cat and Pilgrim vs Saint and Akua.

Cat and Pilgrim represent sort of the intelligent exploration of Good and Evil that has been the strong point since the series started. Meanwhile, Saint and Akua are classic Good and Evil - the good warrior and the evil advisor (of which Cat and Pilgrim are very pointed inversions - evil warrior and good advisor). New vs. Old. The comparison is very stark.

I think Cat has just gotten through slaying the Classic Evil. There are two ways I think Saint dies. Either Cat kills her and completes her set by slaying Classic Good - or Pilgrim gives Saint up, which was foreshadowed by him cowing even Saint by what he was willing to do to see Good be done.

This second possible way might be done at Pilgrim's own decision, or Cat might force him into a position (which has also been foreshadowed) where the her new Evil is clearly the right side whereas Saint is blindly following Good without regard for who dies underfoot.

And if Pilgrim flips, the entire war changes. It's been said the entire Levant country would make him king - at a bare minimum they drop out of the war and refuse to fight him, if not actively joining his side. It was noted very distinctly in Hasenbach's meeting with them that they're only fighting for Good and not Procer, and in fact dislike Procer - if their uncrowned king Chosen switches sides, that's more than a lever, that's an entire goddamn seesaw.

13. Stealthy

Stealthy Fifth Year

Five man band of heroes leads the charge into the deepest evils of the Crusade. They assume that the worst yet to come will be Ater and the horrors Malicia unleashes from the Tower, but agreed with Lamora that it's the Dead King (and probably his Dread Queen Triumphant) storming out of Keter, and Cat will not be abiding that. Funny how Smart Evil faltering unleashes one of the great Classic Evils. If there's a five man band to handle that, and Cat joins the Grand Alliance as a means to introduce the Liesse Accords, well if nothing else protagonist status means that the Woe can slot up to make that charge. After all, we've yet to see the five come together in a fight this Crusade. That's Significant.

Question that follows is, what happens to the Heroes? Saint dying here in a failed ambush could take care of her, (And I wonder how many Heroes she takes with her). The Grey Pilgrim can play an appropriate Role without being one of the five. But Hanno? Gotta agree with Pilgrim that he was made for something like this (particularly to defeat Cat. Justifications matter only to the just and all that. Choirs don't forget or forgive). Not sure what happens to the White Knight.