1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete A Promise From Her Boy by PsychoCellist

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Blandge, May 24, 2017.

1. Blandge

Blandge Second Year DLP Supporter

Title: A Promise From Her Boy
    Author: PsychoCellist
    Rating: Mature
    Genre: Drama/Friendship
    Library Category: General (Because it's canon compliant, but this could possibly go under AU)
    Pairings: Brief Harry/Hedwig (Not bestiality, Hedwig is an Animagus similar to Wormtail), Eventual Harry/Ginny
    Summary: It did not occur to Harry Potter to wonder why his Snowy Hedwig was so much more affectionate than the other owls. It did not occur to him he would ever need to care. That's why she waited to tell him. (Canon compliant)
    Link:https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8766329

This is a canon compliant fic that plays off the premise that Hedwig is an Animagus. It's actually very sweet if you can get passed the absurdity of the premise. I wouldn't classify it as crack.

It focuses entirely upon interactions between Harry and Hedwig, so Harry's canon romances are present, but in the background largely. As far as non-standard pairings go though, this is a pretty rare one. Warning: Being canon compliant, the ending is understandably sad.

As far as rating goes, the writing is good, and the story slots well into canon without being too much of a stretch. It's fluffy and sweet at parts and captures a lot of the tragic moments in canon with emotional scenes between Harry and Hedwig.

4/5

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  2. tomthumb

tomthumb Squib

This was not my favorite bit off work. While i have to give points for originality, the relationship between the two had no spark and was fairy dull for me. I also was not a fan of the story jumping around so much. 2/5

3. KLI2

KLI2 Squib

High Score:
    Decent writing and and I was really excited to see how this plot idea would turn out. The way that the different scenes/events in canon were portrayed was really intriguing however the way in which the timeline jumped really ruined it as you couldn't see the conflict mostly the aftermath so I had to rate it 2.5/5.

4. Silentroyalty

Silentroyalty Squib

High Score:
    The premise in itself was interesting, although that 'canon compliant' is perhaps a bit of a stretch.

Perhaps I'm just an idiot, but the fact that Hedwig had been someone else's owl several times and she's still described as someone not too much older than Harry didn't work for me. If the scene in the beginning when Hedwig reveals herself was one where 14 years old Harry finds a 25+ years old woman in her bedroom, it would have added something new to the relationship dynamic. (She's an animagus after all - she cannot have been too terribly young when she began transforming into an owl.)

Certainly not the worst fic I've read - I'll give it 2/5.

5. The Pro

The Pro Seventh Year

High Score:
    This story is drivel. It has nothing going for it at all that would make it stand out proudly in my memory.

Characterization was average. It wasn't outstanding. It wasn't bad either. Just plain average.

Descriptions were bland. The author seems incapable of creating imagery in the mind's eyes of the readers. The descriptions didn't enable me to better relate to what occurred in the story. The descriptions didn't enable me to better visualize what occurred in the story. The descriptions were just remarkably unremarkable.

The plot itself was nothing stellar. It was far too similar to canon for my liking. There was no deviation besides Hedwig being an Animagus and the corresponding interactions that followed. It was essentially a canon rehash.

The premise itself is interesting, don't get me wrong. The execution was lacking, however. 2/5

6. darknessfalls

darknessfalls Squib

High Score:
    The premise was good. However, it felt like there was too much railroading to fit canon. In several scenes, this was quite evident. The most obvious of these is her death scene.
    Since Harry knew Hedwig is sentient, there was no need to keep her caged anymore. He could have let her go and asked her to come to the Burrow or other similar tactics instead of keeping her locked in a cage with little room to dodge curses.
    3/5