1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Accorded Neutral Grounds

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Aekiel, May 24, 2008.

1. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A completely random thought struck me earlier as I was making something to eat; what did Mac do to get his pub listed as an accorded neutral ground?

We know they're not that common, given that it was a big thing for Marcone to be listed in the same accords, and there's no mention of ones in other places. So what did he do?

I would expect that he's a wizard, probably a powerful one as well, but if that were the only criteria then there would be tons of neutral parties all over the place. He could have done something that got him some respect from a lot of the races, but then the question is what could he do that wouldn't piss someone/thing off.

I have an idea that he was someone high up in the Senior Council, possibly the Gatekeeper given his quiet nature or the Blackstaff, but for whatever reason backed out and decided to open up a pub.

Added credence to him being the former Gatekeeper (or perhaps even the current one :O_O:) is that he picked Chicago to place his pub. It's not much, but picking the city that's going to be so important in the future for his pub to open is a pretty big thing.

So what do you guys think?

Aekiel

2. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Macs important, no doubt about it. I wouldn't make any bets on anything about him right now though, we're only 10 books in to a 23 book series I believe, and we know next to nothing about him.

It could just be that he knew someone high up in the wizarding world, and given his knowledge and the work he put into his pub, they thought it would be a good idea to choose the pub.

Then again, maybe not. Like I said, too many variables right now to even make an educated guess.

3. Xanos

Xanos Card Captored and buttsecksed

Is there anything that say that he is actuly a human? maybe he is an old god or something...

4. Aekiel

High Score:
    The Old Gods were locked away in the Void weren't they? Otherwise the Council would have tried to exterminate him by now, given the whole 'Thou shalt not seek beyond the Outer Gates' thing they've got going on. Plus they tend to be behind the times when it comes to things like language, though he doesn't speak much so that's not much of a clue.

He doesn't appear to be any magical creature I've seen though, they generally have a defining characteristic of some sort that he likes (Fae beauty, psychic presence, etc.). May be a red court, though I doubt it given how the Wardens still use it as a meeting point.

No, I think he's human, and probably a wizard. He doesn't act like a typical non-magical human in the presence of all those magical people either, like Bock (or was it Boch?) did in Dead Beat and Murphy in the earlier books. So probably a wizard.

5. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

Nope he is definitely not an old god. 1) All of the "old ones" are said to have been banished. 2) No one who has ruled over an entire planet is likely to be running a pub.

I'd say that he is probably a stock human or perhaps a wizard who did something somewhere in his past that gained the respect of several of the major powers. Remember the Neutral Territory applies to all of the treaty signatories, so several of them would presumably have to have agreed with him running a neutral area. As to what he actually did to have gain that favor/respect, well I don't have a clue, lol.

Edit: Looks like Aekiel beat me to it.

6. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I think Mac's pub became accorded neutral ground in Death Masks. Dresden and Ortega were negotiating or some shit and needed Neutral Ground, so the set it up to be at Mac's pub and it stayed that way since it was part of the deal with Red Court.

Or maybe I'm wrong.

7. mjc

mjc Seventh Year

Well, as to an old god still hanging around an running a pub...what about Bacchus? Or any of the numerous other minor deities of drink that abounded throughout the world?

If I were Bacchus, I wouldn't mind running a pub in my 'retirement'...

Besides, he makes beer that Harry thinks is about as good as ambrosia.

8. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Vash, wasn't the pub chosen because it was already neutral ground?

Personally, if I had to hazard a guess about Mac, I would say he's not some old god, or really powerful wizard. He's more likely I think to be someone who's not powerful enough on their own to have power or influence, so he's carved this niche by making his pub accorded neutral ground and having it set up to promote peaceful energies or whathaveyou. Perhaps he's a wizard, just not powerful (maybe even not good enough to be on the White Council) or its possible that he's the offspring of a human and something from the nevernever. He has some magic, but the White Council won't accept him because of his pedigree and the folk of the nevernever won't accept him because his appearance is that of a human, or because of the human DNA, or because his magic is too diluted to be of any use etc etc etc.

And on the issue of the old gods, did it actually say they were all banished? Aren't some of them just big hitters from the Nevernever who were conjured up by the Druids and people like that when needed?

9. mjc

mjc Seventh Year

I think so...

That is what would say Mac is. You are probably right about him, though especially about being a half & half...

10. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Mac isn't a human. Wasn't Marcone the first human to ever sign the treaty or whatever? If Mac's signed it to have his pub become recognized, he can't be human. I could, of course, be completely wrong. Just a guess.

Still, Mac's gonna kick everyone's ass someday. He's just gonna get pissed off when his pub gets destroyed or something, and he'll kill 'em all.

11. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Nah, he'll do it when someone dares drink his beer cold, that seems to...upset him >_>.:deadsheep:

12. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Mac's Wyldefae. :[

Also hasn't anyone else got the hint about Monoc Securities yet?

13. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

I figured he was once part of the council, but for whatever reason lost his power. He knows enough about the working of magic to have been a wizard if not one of the higher ups.

I figure with all this time serving Dresden, Harry would have brushed hands and found out if he was magical like he did in proven guilty with the carpenters.

Maybe he had a Denarian for a time and as a result of having to give it up, gave up his magic as well. Thats usually how it works for the wizards, or so Michael says. Though Lash proved that that isn't the only way.

For all we know he could have been the last merlin, or he could be Dresden's version of Boothby ( Star Trek Bitches! ).

Edit:

Jon: What about them, that they're part of the accords, that they hire valkeries, that they deal out magical services to Marcone... you gotta be specific here.

Edit 2.0.1:

Here's a thought, could a wizard who has given up their magic retake it (say Charity for instance) Or is this a permanent thing like when you stop watering your house plants.

Because technically if Charities magical, she's going to live for a few centuries. She described her magic as being withered because she didn't embrace it, but still... it's gotta still be there if Harry can pick up the vibe.

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  14. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Monoc Securities hire valkeries...

Here's a hint. The person in charge at MS is named Donar.

15. mjc

mjc Seventh Year

I think Mac's pub was always 'Accorded Neutral Grounds'...been looking through the books and haven't found anything where it wasn't.

And even over at Butcher's forums they haven't got a clue as to who Mac really is...at least 3 ten page threads and they are pretty much rehashing what we've come up with here.

16. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

I get the whole Thor reference but that would make him one of the Old Gods, hence supposedly banished.

Unless it's more of a title like being the Merlin.

17. mjc

mjc Seventh Year

There is also the Monoc name itself. It can be derived from mono + ocular. Which, if you remember, is what Odin, himself, was...one-eyed.

18. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

-grins at mjc- I personally like to think it's Odin.

But here we go;

All I could find on a quick skim of the books. :p but you get the idea.

The Mythological Gods aren't locked away.

19. Aekiel

High Score:
    I obviously need to study up my Norse religions some more, that passed completely over my head >_>.

So Monoc Securities is run by one of the old gods, they help out Marcone by loaning him Valkyries and they're on the Accords as a neutral party... Do you reckon Justin had any ties to them before his death? He was able to call up an Outsider to face Harry, and that type of knowledge isn't easy to get hold of, or so I would imagine.

The only other place he could possibly get it from otherwise is Bob... Who we know was kicked out of Faerie for pissing off Mab. Could that be the reason why? He contacted one of the Old Ones? I think I'm beginning to see connections here.

20. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Not an Old God Aekiel, just a god.