1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on a build

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Platypus_Assassin, Mar 18, 2012.

1. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Ideally, sure. In the meantime, a RAID 0 setup is many times cheaper than the equivalent size SSD. It can also be fun to build one, even if they're redundant.

1TB SSD vs 2x500GB RAID 0.
    $2,409.99 vs. $169.98

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  2. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

it's also many times slower at things that actually matter.

Also comparing 1tb of spindle hd to 1tb of ssd is like comparing solid gold apples to granny smith apples. they're kind of the same in superficial ways but /really/

3. yak

Yes, I agree. My point isn't that RAID 0 spindle array is perfectly equivalent to an SSD of the same size. I said straight away that SSD is the ideal solution. To expand on your analogy: most people can't afford those solid gold apples, so granny smiths will do.

4. samkar

samkar Temporarily Banhammered

SSDs are less reliable than normal harddisks because of the limited write cycles of flash memory. Furthermore SSDs usually fail completely while harddisks usually show signs before they drop dead. So if you really need higher reliability for your system with SSDs get 2 if you have no backup strategy. Anyway if you really care for your data some external NAS(Synology, QNAS,..) is the smart decision for your home network.

5. uju32

uju32 First Year

I suggest you take a look at this as well:
    Tech Report March 2012 System Guide
    http://techrepo******/articles.x/22513
    I believe the Sweet Spot is closest to your budget.
    Also read through this forum thread
    http://techrepo******/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=79810
    Compare the suggestions to your current choices.
    In particular I would consider saving 50 bucks off your PSU and putting it towards another part eg your monitor.

I'd also suggest you wait at least a week for Kepler to come out before you buy any graphics cards,though.There should be some price movement in the next few weeks which should be to your benefit.

6. yak

I don't know how good the currently selected Cooler Master 800W PSU is, but that is one part of your setup which you should NOT skimp on. Always get a better PSU than what you need. Not quite good enough PSUs can cause all kinds of seemingly unrelated problems.

My last few PSUs were chose after carefully comparing load tests, efficiency and noise levels between all of them. I eventually found the best suited PSU for me and bought it. I wouldn't blindly trust any brand name of PSU. They all lie. Judge a PSU based on its test results, not the sticker label, and definitely not the price.

7. Platypus_Assassin

Platypus_Assassin First Year

Thanks for all the input so far guys, I'm currently looking over my PSU, case, mobo, and GPU, and I'm wondering if I was planning to set up SLI/Crossfire, how big of a PSU should I get? Also, I noticed that this motherboard and this one as well, get a lot of love from review sites, however I've found multiple boards that support two GPU's in x16/x8, like this one, does the x16/x8 make a big difference against a x8/x8 setup?

8. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I want an awesome computer also, but my budget is a bit lower at $1000. I don't keep track of the market, new products etc what is a good for a desktop pc(all parts required) for 1000 - 1300.

9. yak

The Tech Report "Sweet Spot" PC is a good place to start. It comes to $950 which leaves you with a little extra for a decent monitor or two and a keyboard.

I know you said "all parts required", but does that include keyboard, mouse, monitor, or just the PC box parts?

10. bob99

bob99 High Inquisitor

11. Skykes

Everything. I'm using a piece of shit laptop right now that is on his last legs.

12. yak

Do you need speakers too then, or do you already have speakers/headphones for your laptop? If you do need 'em, cheap ones to upgrade later, or 7.1 surround sound?

13. Skykes

I have a decent set of headphones :)

14. uju32

uju32 First Year

He's proposing buying an 800W PSU and he's not running a multi-card setup.No need for it;people tend to buy WAY more PSU than they need.He can get a good 550W or 650W PSU for 80-120 dollars,even without rebates.That's why I say save the money.

Edit: For example,take a look at this Corsair HX650
    Highly rated,SLI ready.$125 dollars sticker price, $105 after mail in rebate.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  15. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

16. Skykes

1 U.S. dollar = 1.00299997 Canadian dollars

:p

What do you guys think of this ?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  17. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Interesting idea - but I think it'll really limit expandability and in three or four years, you'll be putting out another $1000.00

Be better to buy (build) a desktop and put in a couple hundred every other year and keep it up to date.

Also, if you care about this - it doesn't have much of a choice for multiscreen viewing (just one d-sub).