1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Age of Deception by Takeda Lee - M

Discussion in 'Dark Arts' started by The-Hyphenated-One, Aug 7, 2007.

1. The-Hyphenated-One

The-Hyphenated-One Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Title: Age of Deception
    Author: Takeda Lee
    Rating: M
    Genre: Mystery/Adventure
    DLP Category: Dark Arts
    Pairing: Could be Harry/Luna or N/A
    Chapters: 9
    Words: 29,285
    Updated: June 28, 2008
    Published: February 13, 2007

Summary: The sun has set for the Wizarding World, and the moon has risen on the horizon to replace it. Soon the moon will set at the dawning of a new day. Things appear much different under the stars, and all falsehoods are stripped away by the light of the moon.

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3391835/1/Age_of_Deception

Age of Deception: post-lolHBP story. Harry's in a race against time to destroy the Horcruxes. A race against his own downward spiral into the darkness of the soul. A darkness he didn't create, and a soul that isn't his, but both are still infecting him and leaving him racing against time to free himself. However, nothing is as it appears, and people around him are finally being forced the face the consequences of their decisions in the past, and their present incarnations. Old enemies become unsteady allies, and new friends become all that's left, as old ones are forced to realize that they are no longer children, and must think before they act. And must live with the results of not doing so, and not taking into account Harry's feelings and his life in regards to their actions.

It's written in almost a detached sort of way, but it is written exceedingly well. I like the way Harry's character is being written, and it looks as if he will be turning dark.

4/5 so far, but only because it's a bit early. Give it a read.

Lodr Hyphen

Checked by Minion, Nov. 23, 2012

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2012
  2. vivilp182

vivilp182 Guest

I'm enjoying this fic a lot. It's a bit slow, the course of the story is still open, but it's written very well.

3. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Ah, yes, this story...I read this one before, not too long ago; it was good when I last read it, and it's still good now. Very high quality, I would say. I'm not entirely sure if it really belongs in the Dark Arts category, though; it seems a bit too early for that.

One thing I especially liked upon reading this one is the fact that Fenrir Greyback isn't portrayed as a bumbling idiot, for once; though, I suppose that would just be his normal character, wouldn't it? Hm...

5/5 if it continues as it is.

4. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Oh man, this story begins with Harry slicing up his own wrists. I'm not sure if I should cheer or fail it on principle. I swear, 500 words on describing how the knife goes over the wrist.

5. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Edit: Okay, I was wrong on this one, and I am willing to admit it. It's not a bad fic, though; if I remember correctly, the wrist-slashing ends there.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2007
  6. The-Hyphenated-One

Actually it describes the knife going over Harry's wrist, and Petunia coming up behind him and wrapping his arm in a towel.

His reasoning for the //// is to be closer to death, and by proxy his parents. Not overly used, but no where near original.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2007
  7. Solomon

Solomon Heir

...It was? Man, I guess that when I read it - and saw Petunia's name show up - I tossed most of my reading comprehension out the window in order to avoid dealing with the thought of Harry slashing his wrists. Either that, or it was vague and/or I was tired.

8. The-Hyphenated-One

It is really vague, and I didn't catch it the first time around. The author's writing style is like that, you have to really pay attention in order to follow where the story is going and what is going on.

9. Solomon

Solomon Heir

I know; I've read the story before, and I did read the most recent chapter when you brought it up (having read the others before). Vague though it may be, I rather do like the style; it's unique, if nothing else.

10. Calz

Calz Oh, I Got the Mic Now!

Just know that the whole "lolemocutting" thing isnt just for the sake of being "emo", i promise you(as the author O_O), its more of a foreshadowing thing, that shows the reader, and more importantly Harry, what the implications are of him slipping up even once. don't think Harry has had enough of a dose of that fact by end end of book 6, sure there's the Sirius thing and all, but he hasn't had to confront the realization of, if he fucks up, he could seriously die.

this isnt an angst story in the least, and it gets steadily darker and darker as the story passes, but there's more to the whole thing than it can appear to be. one particular thing that will come up is: if snape didnt heal harry...why didnt he die.

i hate emoness probably more than the next guy, just saying, there's a reason for everything in this story, which is why its so, length-wise, different than anything i've ever written cause im trying to pack all the important stuff into the story with as little filler as possible.

just stick with it :) a big change happens in chapter 5(writing it as we speak) that will show exactly how un-angsty!emo! Harry is by things he decides to do.

11. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So far, after getting through chapter 1, I look at chapter 2 and see the explanation yet this is annoying:

Shouldn't the spell be ennervate?

12. Calz

Calz Oh, I Got the Mic Now!

JK had went back and retconned the spell to "renervate", its even in the books now, because enervate means something different supposedly. Dunno, but I do know it got changed by JK herself at some point. I may change it back if more people comment on it, dunno.

13. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Hm...Yep. You should probably make sure that the word has two Ns in it, though...

14. The-Hyphenated-One

Cool, looks like the author was already a member here. Good story, and I hope chapter 5 is up soon.

15. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wow, this story was actually surprisingly good. Not sure I quite liked the cutting part at the beginning, but after that, things really got good quick. I quite like your characterization of Luna - I'm looking forward to your next chapter. The werewolf subplot is a bit odd, but I assume there's a point to it.

Keep up the good work!

-J

16. The-Hyphenated-One

The thing that keeps me interested is how Fenrir is portrayed. Not as just a bloodthirsty killer, but as an intelligent alpha werewolf. He is the most feared werewolf for a reason.

Looks like he might be aiding Remus, or the Order of maybe even Harry if he has his own faction.

17. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Anyone else want to comment on this story? It has a 5 star rating, but only 4 people voted, either there needs to be a few more opinions, or I just move the story to the Library.

18. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

Wait, wait... I'll review it then. So far I have always lowered the rating.

Okay. First of all, the story feels like the author studied a dictionary just to use big words. The wording is fancy and the author sounds old and reminiscing about something. Not really that good there.
    I do like this story, it does have great things. Luna telling off Ginny, Hermione taking a love potion for herself.
    I don't like Harry though. He cuts himself and then gets dark and evil.
    Personally I would give this a 3/5 for enjoyment and style but it is above average giving it a 4/5.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  19. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Personally, I think that this story is one of the best post-HBP's out. It does seem a bit detached and there a lot of plot holes (For example, why does Snape suddenly show up at Privet Drive?), yet I enjoy stories that are more "poetic" in nature, like this one.

I also like the way Luna has been portrayed thus far; calm, cool, collected, aloof--I'm interested in seeing where the relationship between this Luna and this Harry goes. I have no problem with the way Harry has been acting, in fact, he seems like more of a hard ass when he doesn't speak very often.

Ginny using a love potion is over-used, but not completely out of line considering the way the author has characterized her; Hermione falling in love with herself was an interesting twist, if not quite plausible.

Overall, the story has a deserved spot in my favorites; at least a 4/5.

20. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Ya... I don't get my jollies off of wrist slashing.

So this would be a No for me. Instant fail.

If you're gonna be an emo faggot and slit your wrists, then make sure you do it properly and rid the world of your idiocy. In Harry's case, just cut your fucking head off or something mate, you bore me.