1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Alexandra Quick and the Thorn Circle by Inverarity - K+

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by ray243, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Agnostics Puppet

Agnostics Puppet Professor

I never implied any insult. I enjoyed both stories and I am eagerly looking forward to the third. It was simply the truth. Look at what the rest of the people who have commented said. America + OC cast = fail. This just isnt the kind of fic that is recommended here. But this one was, and I am gald for it.

2. TheDefiantOne

TheDefiantOne First Year

Well, after reading all the reviews, both good and bad, I felt I should read it. And while it was nice to see someone not totally destroy the American Wizarding World, and the characters were alright, as was the writing, it.. it was interesting. It made me interested in what was going to happen, but not quite enough to make me want to read it all.

3/5

3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Yeah, I just took Agnostic's comment to mean that if there was a sudden over-abundance of Independant!Harry, Kickass!Harry, and Dark!Harry fics that were incredibly well written and original, that Alexandra Quick probably wouldn't have been found and recommended here because most of our members would be busy sorting through those other stories. Since there aren't a lot of those stories coming out though, this gem of a story was found where otherwise it might have been overlooked.

Inverity, glad to see you pop in here to say hello. I keep thinking that I should really go and post a nice, long review for you somewhere but now that I know you have read this thread (and my comments) I think I don't need to be quite as rushed to do it. Though I still intend to. I do hope the third installment lives up to the second. Max was a brilliant character and I worry it might be hard to re-capture what you had going without him.

Thanks for writing.

4. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ah but Cheddar how else would we see Alexandra's slow descent into the Dark Arts and insanity trying to revive Max?

5. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Hah, indeed. And if we do see that then that's pretty cool with me. I just hope that...
    I actually hope that we see Max come back, even if I don't expect it to happen. I mean, I feel like a frackin' idiot saying that, since I sound like some of the damned Sirius fangirls I found to be extremely irritating back when OotP came out, but damn.

I think it'd be interesting to see Alex fall slowly into the Dark Arts because she stubbornly refuses to believe that she can't bring him back and keeps falling further while looking for things she can try. I have to admit I wouldn't mind her finding out about some obscure remedy for having died while in the Lands Below though.

Though it's also possible that she'll just learn to deal with the fact that he's dead, and he's not coming back. How much (or how little) delving into the Dark that involves I guess we'll find out.

6. Agnostics Puppet

Agnostics Puppet Professor

Thank you Cheddar for fixing what I meant to say. Sometimes, in transition from my brain to my mouth/fingers, the words I meant to say end up coming out as verbal garbage.:(

7. Juggler

Juggler Death Eater DLP Supporter

And yet, we still don't know what Abraham Thorn's goals are.

I'm giving this a rating of 3.5 rounded up to 4, because for DLP, it might not be an average rec fic, but it a great fic nonetheless. Exceeded my expectations, at least.

8. Mordac

Mordac Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Well, I'm a sucker for good OC fics, because let's face it, Harry Potter sucks, but even looking at it without that lens I don't know what the people saying this sucks are talking about. A few are just the usual jingoistic Brits and self-hating Americans, but a lot of people who should have no stake in this are still getting pissed off because it features the US. I mean, a lot of Magical!US fics suck, but a lot of Indy!Harry fics suck too, and the good ones still get posted here (and the bad ones too sometimes).

Anyway, I didn't find the lead character as annoying as some have; at least she's driven, unlike some other main characters I can think of. Sure, some of her decisions are bad, rash etc, but that's a staple of the genre, have the reader outsmart the character. The problem is that, like with everything else, Rowling doesn't know when to stop and overdoes it, but here it's applied the same as many other 'standard' fantasy works.

But I digress. This vision of the magical US doesn't always correspond with mine (I write a not so good fic about it that I'm planning to rewrite one of these days), but it's still original and interesting.

Five stars and two thumbs up!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. lucis

lucis Seventh Year

The author found this thread and wrote a post on her blog in response.

On the matter of this fic, I mostly like it, although I found it a little slow at points. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

If Inverarity is reading this: the reputation of DLP is mostly the loud majority. I think... What do I know, I'm new here.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  10. bylfolx

bylfolx Backtraced

I...hesitate to read this. I read all the good reviews and am swayed to partake of its wealth of ideas. But...I hesitate.

To be honest I want to read about Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, Luna Lovegood, etc. That's why I am reading Harry Potter fanfic and why I am a member of this forum.

To the author I give you my sincerest wishes that your series works out well and that you grow as a writer from it. As I said above I hesitate because I want to read about Harry Potter. Good luck, though, in your endeavor.

11. ray243

ray243 Seventh Year

Well for one, most people down here don't like to be outsmarted by the main characters.

12. Mordac

Mordac Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

That's great, because I didn't say anything about that.

And I don't think anyone with 18 posts has any business telling me what people here like or don't like.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  13. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing.

14. Inverarity

Inverarity Groundskeeper

Thanks. But I'm still not a her. ;)

That's totally cool. I knew when I started writing AQ that it would only appeal to a small niche. As I've said previously, I wouldn't expect most DLP members to like my stories, which is why I don't promote them here.

Please tell me that's sporking a very bad fan fic.

15. bylfolx

bylfolx Backtraced

Sometimes a person looks in the mirror and remembers very odd things growing-up. I am of the opinion the human brain forgets these things because the present conscious finds it disturbing. As human beings things that upset us are thrust aside, and in time forgotten.

Needless to say, no this is not the sporking of a fanfic but an honest memory of something I imagined when I was around three years old. I've rationalized the memory by thinking it is Freud's oedipus complex manifesting in me. I just happen to be one of the few able to remember it and not really care about admiting to it.

Also, the fact it fucks with people's minds is an added bonus, and the reason it's my signature.;)

16. lucis

lucis Seventh Year

I didn't say you were?

17. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

I came across this but only gave it a cursory read. I really didn't have a strong opinion on it, but given its reception here, I may go back and take a look at it. I'll withhold a rating until I can read it in depth.

18. Sooner90

Sooner90 Groundskeeper

I gotta say that once I overcame my initial reluctance to read a non Harry-centric story, I truly loved this fic. I liked it for all the reasons that I liked JKR's stuff. The protagonist I thought was a great character. Her bull-headedness was very well crafted. Some of the secondary characters were a little bland, but I found the universe well fleshed and the villains engaging. Four stars +

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  19. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

I realise I never actually gave this a review, so here goes...

Even though I only read the first few chapters (I think some RL shit came up and the story slipped my mind) I thought it was a great, refreshing read. The characterisation was done wonderfully--the children were children, acted like children, spoke like children and viewed the world with the wide-eyed wonder of children.

The writing itself was also very good. Both technically and creatively, and done in a very similar style to JKR. Which is why I think this works as a story; you could almost believe that Rowling herself wrote it.

I still have to read the rest, but I feel pretty safe giving this 5/5

20. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Inverarity posted the first chapter of the third book, Alexandra Quick and the Deathly Regiment, on his LJ. Link.

Now he only needs hurry up with the rest of the story >_>

Edit: I left a review there, Inverarity, but I might as well c/p it here.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010