1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned All Is Relative Except the Stubbornness of a Demon by Uncle Stojil - T - Naruto

Discussion in 'Naruto' started by Fimbulvintr, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Fimbulvintr

Fimbulvintr Seventh Year

Title: All Is Relative Except the Stubbornness of a Demon
    Author: Uncle Stojil
    Genre: Adventure/General
    Rating: T
    Pairing: Too early to tell
    Chapters: 7
    Words: 78,781
    Updated: June 7, 2009
    Published: August 15, 2008
    Link: The Link
    Summary: The Kyuubi doesn't want to die. He cannot even grasp the idea of himself dying. He's meant to be immortal and he has no intention whatsoever to go against his very nature. True, he's stuck inside Naruto, but the boy has absolutely no say in this matter.

This is an interesting fic. I was surprised I couldn't find it here when I searched.

Basically, Kyuubi doesn't want to die, and each time Naruto is supposed to die, through either natural or unnatural causes, he sends Naruto back in time to the day of his Genin Exam. The story begins with a Naruto who has already lived through hundreds, if not thousands of lifetimes, and has mellowed out as a result. Likewise, his relationship with the Kyuubi has become more civil due to millenniums of coexistence.

The story is well written, characterizations are superb, and there are very few spelling and grammar errors. Just in case anyone's worried, Naruto is not on Team 7.

At least a 4/5 from me.

EDIT: Oh, and the guy's HP fic isn't bad either.

Checked: June 4, 2012

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2012
  2. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

Wut?

How can he be sent back to the day of his genin exam and not be placed on Team 7? It just makes no sense to me.

The problem I have with these fics is that they have no reasonable conclusion (and mostly because Perfect Lionheart has the most predominant fic in this category). What's the point of having a Naruto that knows all about the villains' plans? It ruins the conflict of the entire story, unless the author decides to OC the villains to a ridiculous extent.

Honestly, what possible conclusion could this story have, and what villain could possibly contend with a full knowledge!Naruto?

None, and that's the real issue for me.

3. Fimbulvintr

Fimbulvintr Seventh Year

What you've said is true. But then again, it's also true for every single time traveling Naruto story out there, and at least some of them worked out alright. We just have to wait and see. I'm basing my opinions on the quality of what has already been written, this kind of speculation can wait, but judging from what the author has so far, I have high hopes.

Also, the author has stated in the story that there are some things Naruto can't seem to control or predict, like whether it might rain or not on the third day after his return. It's flimsy I know, but at least it's something that shows unpredictability; like I said, the author has done well so far, there are high hopes.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  4. Ksai

Ksai Third Year

Errr... Mkay.
    Do I need to comment this one?

And +1 to what Howdy said. Nothing more to add.

5. artenry

artenry Guest

It's true that there may be no reasonable conclusion to stories like these, but I admire this author, and this story, all the same.

It seems to me that this author is having much more fun fleshing out and drawing Naruto's character, as well as his interaction with everyone else, rather than actually working toward finishing this story.

It's not necessarily a bad thing, in my book - the story's almost like an exercise in character introspection and development.

Honestly, right now, I'm enjoying the characterization far more than the plot advancement in this story.

6. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

No story ever ends. It just stops being told.

7. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

By performing well enough on the exam that he ends up not getting ranked as dead-last?

8. blablablub

blablablub First Year

The characterization is indeed good but the story is not my thing.
    But if someone like storys like this then it's a good read.

9. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

Going totally against the DLP philosophy, I love this story.

Asuma's characterization amuses me, and everyone else seems to be well-defined, except maybe the Sandaime. I honestly couldn't care less about the plot, and if I could, I'd read this story for days.

10. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Tried reading this the other day and I couldn't get passed where he enters the school grounds. How he started talking to everyone and even showing off with a Kage Bunshin to Kiba.

I felt like putting my face through a wall.

11. whateveritis12

whateveritis12 Third Year

Some parts are cringeworthy, mostly Naruto's interactions/showing off skills with everyone, yet when he comes up with the fact that he's been holding back everyone accepts it. Despite the fact that he was horrendously bead the day before.

But other than that I think that this story has some potential. You have a Naruto that lives life to his fullest and doesn't care about things like a regular time-travel Naruto. He takes things as they come and reacts accordingly. In fact he has it in the story that Naruto has stopped caring about things unless he passes by close to them. Orochimaru is the example he used about not actively hunting him.

Truthfully with the last chapter you get the feeling that this might be the last go around for Naruto. What with the Heart of Konoha and such.

12. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

The fic is actually pretty decent. A million+ year's old Naruto going after 12 year old's is a bit disturbing, though.

The writing is good, no obvious grammar problems... pretty enjoyable, if you like this kind of stuff.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  13. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Him going after anyone would be depressing. :rolleyes:

14. Shezza

Shezza Renegade 4 Life DLP Supporter

I like this fic. Perhaps it's not the most well-explained Time Travel fic but sometimes you just gotta put away your disbelief and enjoy some good characterisation

15. Narion

Narion Slug Club Member

I dunno. I think he's got something right about focusing on characterization, but at the same time, just about everything about Naruto seems... well, off... for how such an old entity would act and think. He cares too much, I think. That he might care at all is a bit of a stretch, really.

I don't think this sort of behavior would last beyond the first thousand years.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that it was a good idea, but the author really just didn't implement it right. Then again, there might not be anyone who could.

Narion

16. artenry

artenry Guest

I agree with this.

There's a certain appeal to Naruto being incalculably old, as that allows for some of the finer quirks of this Naruto's character to shine through, but at the same time, like Narion says, it doesn't seem quite right to have him care so much.

But then again, I suppose that it'd be an exceptionally boring story if all Naruto did was kick back and watch everything burn. Maybe it'd be a crack fic, but this author seems to be intent on making this a semi-serious story, so having an Apathetic!Naruto doesn' seem quite right either, at least in this context.

17. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

I disagree. I [and apparently the author] think that if you live that long, insanity will come in waves. Sure, maybe after a thousand years he'll go crazy and won't care about anything, but it's in my opinion that it will pass. With hundreds of years - dozens of lives - to get over it, I don't think it's unreasonable.

18. whateveritis12

whateveritis12 Third Year

^^^
    Not sure where but the author has pointed out in the story that there were a couple times where Naruto didn't give a fuck and he just let the world burn. It was just a throw away line when he's talking to Kyuubi or something.

19. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    He's gone through the ruthless killer stage many times, as well as the paedophile ones (though is it technically paedophilia if he's in a child's body?) and the ones where he just stayed in isolation and now he's just out to see what else he can do. Sounds like something most people would do (kinda) if they had to repeat their lives over and over. After all, what do social norms mean to a man who can get away with breaking them?