1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP All These Complications by Annie789 - T

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Evon, Apr 19, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Absolutista

Absolutista Fifth Year

Yeah, like myself. Read 2 chapters a couple of days ago, tried to continue reading it again today. Fuck this.

2. mercuryandglass

mercuryandglass Third Year

She said that she was uncomfortable with her story on this site. Don't blame her; many stories that make it to the review board just get bashed. Coughderservedlycough

3. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wait she was upset it went to DLP? where everyone said how good it was? You sure Silver Cat 777?

4. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

Then why'd she post it on FFN in the first place? You don't get to be choosy about your audience when you publish your material. It's kind of inherent in the meaning of publish, which is to expose something to public scrutiny. So that argument is invalid.

As for being uncomfortable with her story being talked about here? She's got a 4.38-star rating with 26 votes as of this post. What's there to be uncomfortable about?

No. When people put shit-piles up for review we call them shit piles and they get 1~2-star ratings. When people put gems up for review, we call them gems and they get 4~5-star ratings (like this one!).

She published the story. She received what is, by all rights, fairly high praise, from a couple of our, shall we say, pickier members no less. And, She took the story down. :facepalm I suppose we ought to blame aliens or magic or something?

That said, this isn't about blame (though, if it were, this scenario would fit the very definition thereof!). This is about someone wanting unwarranted control over the audience of her story. If you want that level of control, just email the story to a select group of friends in the first place. I say unwarranted control because authors of books don't enjoy such a luxury. When your book gets panned by the New York Times book review, or maybe your scientific study gets torn apart by your peers in your field, you don't get to make the books magically disappear and republish them where only people who like it and give it good reviews and agree with you can read it. You move on with your life and publish better stories, or papers or whatever; or, you quit.

I won't say quitting is a bad thing. Some people should. This is not one of those cases, though. She got positive reviews, a high rating, and would have secured herself a spot in DLP's library (I see no reason a mod should put this in the library now, as the library is a link to accessible works, not inaccessible works). In all my years of fanfiction reading (since about 1999, when I started with anime fanfiction), I've seen countless "authors" throw huge hissy-fits because either Anifics.com or now, DLP, called them out on their shit-pile fanfics. Never have I seen someone who was given a good review by either fairly nastily discerning sites pull their stories.

---------- Post automerged at 00:05 ---------- Previous post was at 00:04 ----------

Yes, Annie789 said as much in PM to me when I asked for the link. I won't post the PM or give the link out of respect for her wishes, but I can't bring myself to agree with her decision.

5. coleam

coleam Death Eater

Well that's frustrating. And I was enjoying this fic...

As for why, maybe she thought DLP's "dark" reputation would taint her story somehow? Pretty lame excuse, but that's honestly the only thing I could think of given the reviews she was getting.

6. trollolol

trollolol Third Year

Wow. Hero to zero in no time at all, what the fuck. She got, by DLP standards, a fucking wonderful reception here. Fuck her, and her children, and her children's children for becoming just another faggot who deletes quality work for bullshit reasons.

7. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Trollolol: It's entirely her decision, and posts like yours make me understand why she was feeling uncomfortable with her story in here.

As the story is no longer available, I'll lock the thread - for now.

Not open for further replies.