1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Hugo-worthy: The Women of Harry Potter posts, by Sarah Gailey

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sataniel, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    So I was looking at this year Hugos and in the Best Related Work category among nominated works, there was a series of posts by Sarah Gailey called The Women of Harry Potter.

Of course, I've felt obligated to have a look at something like that. It turned out to be a really insightful collection of character analysis and considering that it seems that it was never linked here I thought that DLPers may appreciate it. Especially the post about the most prominent black character in the series - Hermione.

2. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You mean tan?

Had a quick look at that Hermione article and, honestly, I don't see anything there that hasn't been extolled in a 1000 Harmony fics. Hermione is JK's SI. Yes. Thank you. We've noticed.

But I suppose we can't expect the... Hugo Council (?) to read HP fics. Though I'd certainly rather read fanfic than those articles.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  3. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Oh boy. The Hermione is black supporters.

4. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I thought they were joking when I first heard about it.

5. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've learned to never assume anyone is joking these days. The world is becoming a crazier place everyday, my friend.

6. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

This thread is some low-effort trolling, Sataniel.

Then again, so is that article on Hermione. Every single picture is black!Hermione, totally disregarding any other version, but on top of that, most of the pictures of Harry have him black as well. Some hard-core denial going on out there...

Personally, I'm more interested in how there's another article on the same site which shows JK's original sketches of the characters... I particularly like the picture where Hermione is standing between Harry and Dean (though he was still named Gary when this was drawn), with the former two looking white as sheets. Heck, Ron looks more black than Hermione in that picture, simply by virtue of his freckles; the only color in Hermione's face is the smear of blue ink where the drawing apparently got wet. Meanwhile, Gary/Dean is obviously shaded to look black, has African facial features, and a matching haircut.

If the Hermione article weren't newer, I'd think the person who submitted the one with the sketches was trolling Gailey with a dose of facts.

I've heard the Hugos have become something of a joke, in recent years. And not the funny kind...

7. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Never understood the black Hermione fuss. They ever so slightly reinterpreted a character for a separate production and JK said there was nothing in the books that contradicted that interpretation, which there was not. It really does not matter if JK or we all assumed she was white. It changes nothing about her character or upbringing or role in the story or for that matter her mainstream depiction by Emma Watson. If some people want to alter their mental image of her in light of this idea then let them.

8. ScottPress

High Score:
    Now say that about Parvati Patil, or Cho Chang, or Kingsley. I have no problem with it, except when it's pushed by people who would scream bloody murder if an ethnic character was reinterpreted as white. No one can have nice things anymore.

9. Tartarus

Tartarus Second Year

Because it's not really about a different interpretation of a character. It's about the token black actor, that needs to be in a movie/play nowadays or the creators will be called racist. And this has to be regardless of what the characters are in the first place. A few days ago I saw people arguing why there are no black actors in a film about Vikings. This needs to stop, nobody wants white people being cast to play black characters, why is there a need to do the opposite?

10. James

James Unspeakable

Yeah, that reminds me the shit Witcher 3 got for not having any "women of colour" in what is basically Middle ages Middle Europe.

11. ScottPress

High Score:
    IIRC Manveer Heir, that shitstain of man, wrote an article about it, completely ignoring the fact that Witcher is based on Eastern European folklore, where black people were rarer than unicorns. But must have ethnic representation.

12. Sorrows

Logically race flipping a charecter should be fine both ways, in a perfect world it would be. However the reason turning ethnic characters white is not the same is because for hundreds of years visual entertainment of all forms whitewashed ethnic characters, minimizing or erasing already vastly underrepresented or misrepresented communities. Even today nonwhite hero's and heroines are still a small minority in the popular culture. Every time they give a role like that to a white actor, it cuts even more off that representation. Every time you give a white role to a minority actor, you redress the unfair balance perpetuated by 100 odd years of bias in character creation and representation, while hardly denting the opportunities available for white representation in the media.

Basically if you turn Hermione black, well for some little girls they go to that play and their favourite smart popular important heroine actually looks like them. That's a powerful thing if you have spent your whole life loving fantasy, 90% of which have white main characters.

Turn Pavati white and one of the few explicitly ethnic characters in the series is lost, continuing in the media tradition that we really should have grown out of by now.

At least that is why I think those two ideas would garner very different reactions. They are only the same thing if you can ignore the 100 years of racial bullshit perpetuated by western entertainment media.

13. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Except of course for all the bits that do contradict it.

I have no problem with people reinterpreting Hermione as black for a fan work.

However, it's the height of intellectual dishonesty to pretend that she was not written as and presented as a white character in canon. There's far too much you need to explain away to interpret Hermione as black in canon, too many times where you need to rely on unnatural use of language (e.g. pretending that turning white in shock can be confused with literally being the colour white, the latter being how Hermione's face is described in PoA, the former being how people try to interpret it, against the clear meaning).

14. Blinker

Blinker Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Tangentially related but I wondered to what extent, if at all, you think it's important for a work set in Britain to represent the demographics of Britain? Is it less important when (as in HP) we are introducing fantastical elements and a separate population? If an author is from a country where 90% of the people are white should it be a disappointment, or a surprise, that 90% of the characters, main or otherwise, are white? I appreciate these all come across as smug rhetorical questions but I am keen to hear your POV.

15. Sorrows

It is clear that JK imagined the character as a white girl. No disputing it, I don't think she does either she simply said nothing contradicted the idea. Still I think 'the height of intellectual dishonesty' may be overstating things.

Hermione's race is never explicitly mentioned, nor does it have a bearing on the character. The fact that people felt the need to comb through the books for any shred (and they are shreds) of evidence to disprove the idea presented in a side production of the story is kind of illuminating by itself.

Edit: As someone from the UK, I can tell you that the demographic s in Britain are vastly different depending on what part of the country you are in. There are parts of the UK where the white population are in the minority and almost Every population centre is visibly diverse. Even in the country there are more nonwhite people than that statistic would suggest.

Separately I think that both fantasy and historical fiction are genras that suffered the most whitewashing in visual media. We think of ancient Europe as being almost completely white because for a long time that was how it was presented to us visually, hell even movies set in ancient Rome and Egypt and Jerusalem are led by white actors, in films out recently too. That bled into European based fantasy. But the operative word is fantasy. The Witcher is based in a European setting sure, but it is not Europe, so why should the demographics (which you already think of as whiter than they really were) be similar? Will a more diverse population somehow make the monster slaying seem less believable?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  16. Tartarus

Tartarus Second Year

But why should there be more non-white characters? The story is happening in UK and a quick google search will tell you that 87% of the population there is white. Why should there be an abnormal amount of characters belonging to a different ethnic group? I wouldn't complain about a lack of Caucasian characters in a movie happening in Nigeria.

17. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Did you read the link I posted? It has a PoA quote which literally says "Hermione's white face". It doesn't say pale. It doesn't say turning white because of fear. It literally describes the face as white, and the context only further cements the description as one of literal colour, because it is contrasting the colour of her face with her surroundings.

This is what irritates people: not the idea that people want to imagine Hermione as black for their fan works, but the level of denial they exhibit with respect to canon. JKR is not immune to that. Her Twitter comments do not erase what she wrote in the books.

18. Sorrows

There is a perfectly reasonable argument to be made that her face is white from fear depending on whether you want to interpreted that line metaphorically or literary. Further more people with darker skin can darken significantly more if they spend time in the sun.

But that is kind of the point, JK did not reach into people's head and say, you must now consider Hermione as BLACK. Bow down to the new canon. She said Hermione's race has no bearing on the story, this interpretation is as valid as any other and people felt the need to comb obsessively through the books to find any mention of skin colour.

People get very protective of their mental image of a character, but this was one interpretation of a character, not even a main interpretation. It caused so much more backlash than it warranted.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  19. Skeletaure

High Score:
    There really isn't. There's an argument to be made, but not a reasonable one - as stated above, it depends on interpreting the language use against its normal meaning, against its context, and against normal collocations. With that kind of twisting of words you could pretty much justify any "interpretation" of canon, because you're essentially setting your desires first and changing the world to suit your preference. Example: Dumbledore is actually a woman. What about all the mentions of him being a man? Oh, that's just Harry and the other characters mis-gendering her. What about Dumbledore's beard? Transfiguration. After all, canon never says that Dumbledore is a man! And Dumbledore being a man does not have any impact on the plot.

There is nothing that cannot be justified with sufficient quantities of bullshit. It doesn't make it reasonable.

These two claims are not equivalent, though you keep connecting them. That Hermione's race has no bearing on the story is not the same thing as it being as valid as any other. The former claim is about function, the latter is about facts. There are plenty of elements of canon which do not have an effect on the plot but nonetheless are factual parts of canon. The colours of Gryffindor are red and gold. That part of canon has no functional relationship on the plot. JKR could have picked any colour and the story would be no different. Nonetheless, the interpretation that Gryffindor colours are actually yellow and pink is not an equally valid interpretation of canon.

20. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    For this to be a troll I would have to pretend to be serious, and even if the rest of the post doesn't convey it, then I think that the last part does.

That's a point which I never understood (and not only in this context). I mean why would characters need to be similar to you? In non-interactive fiction you are an observer, basically, the only time where you need to identify with characters is the wish-fulfilment crap, and as seen through the popularity of stuff like SAO among the western audience - it doesn't really matter. To stop the "but you are white male" line of discussion. I largely consume Japanese entertainment, which mostly has Japanese protagonists.

Also, you mention kids, but I think this matters even less to kids. And I think that the fact that often protagonists in kids-aimed media aren't even human, but anthropomorphized animals and such is ample proof of that.

Also, race-swapping has to make sense, I will never forget the completely retarded "cast Asian as Iron Fist" movement.