1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Recommended VI

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Minion, Feb 9, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain Trips

Captain Trips High Inquisitor

Hmmm, that was better then most of the stuff Clell churns out. Got a cheap laugh or five out of me to.

2. dmacx

dmacx Groundskeeper

Marvel-verse has characters that can casually wave a hand and destroy a galaxy or two. I think you meant Avengers-verse.

3. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I think he meant Marvel Cinematic Universe.

4. dmacx

dmacx Groundskeeper

Ah. That does make some sense.

5. IBG

IBG Seventh Year

AFAIK there's nothing at all in canon to suggest that the DoM captures humans or does anything untoward at all. They seem to be the equivalent of university researchers?

Not to mention the British magical society in canon is practically guaranteed to be more backward than an American one which won't have existed long enough to have long-standing Pureblood families.

I didn't get the feeling that Fury had much in depth knowledge of the magical world, recognizing Harry is hardly a big deal. And again, from canon if Fudge was competent and doing what he was meant to in his meetings with the muggle PM then it is not hard to accept that if the Americans run the same system then Fury would know a little of the situation.

My thoughts anyway.

My gripes with the story were more with British magical society somehow being able to just rock up in America and do whatever, but I liked the reading the characters (George mainly) enough to push through.

6. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

The idea of the DoM being some super special BlackOps group has always bugged me. An entire group full of badass operatives doesn't get coerced by Voldemort to publish 'research' that 'proves' his anti-muggleborn shit.

7. Photon

Photon Order Member

Floating brains and the Death Chamber are suspicious.

8. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Doesn't mean they're special forces types. Floating brains and the Death Chamber seems pretty much right up the alley of high level researchers sworn to secrecy.

9. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Perhaps they did it so he would shut up and let them play D&D in peace.

10. IBG

IBG Seventh Year

No more suspicious than the cadavers my friends in medicine sometimes use when learning, and the death chamber is just an artefact that they're studying.

I mean like, you can make an extrapolation in a fanfic that they're black-ops and run with it, but the idea that they're obviously super-secret-soldiers is really dumb IMO. Nothing substantive in canon to support that they'd have a need for it, nor any evidence of any Unspeakables having authority in law enforcement or any kind of combat experience (not even security guards).

11. Photon

Photon Order Member

Good point. My "suspicious" was about "nothing at all in canon to suggest that the DoM captures humans or does anything untoward at all", not about "they're black-ops".

Yes, it is typical "not contradicted by canon". What may be done well or badly (it is fanfiction therefore the second happens 99,9% of the time).

12. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Chief Warlock

There are lots of academics with security clearances who do work for intelligence and military agencies (though to a much lesser extent). They're not actual intelligence or field officers however.

13. PrometheusII

PrometheusII Second Year

Saint Potter?
    Sophie Theresa Potter. Grandfather/guardian: Seamus Tombs. Parents: James and Selene Potter, deceased, purportedly in a gas-explosion, Hallowe'en 1981 - except it turns out that actually they were killed in a battle with dark wizards, that Sophie is a witch, and that one 'Albus Dumbledore' wants her at his school and isn't likely to take 'no' as an answer. Alternate Universe.
    Rated: Fiction T - English - Adventure - OC - Chapters: 9 - Words: 98,820 - Reviews: 54 - Favs: 75 - Follows: 74 - Updated: Jun 1 - Published: Mar 1, 2012 - id: 7883569

I do not know the books the crossover is based on, but I certainly recommend this story to you! It is very AU, extremely slow (we just started Hogwarts, after 90k words) but the writing is excellent!
    There is no re-hashing of scenes we have read dozens of time. It is a good read.
    Unfortunately, updates seem to be slow so it is questionable whether this story will ever really develop. Until now, it's more about wordl-building an character interactions than about plot and/or conflict. Still, a good read!
    What is very nice: The author knows the concept of "show, don't tell" VERY well.
    I will look into more of his stuff :)

14. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Where's Lily in this whole thing? I mean, personally I'm not going to read it, because fem!Harry just isn't my thing (I'm not counting "Equal and Opposite" as such), but I'm curious about this particular matter. Would this fem!Harry even have those fairly trademark emerald green eyes?

15. A.K.$J6-J5

A.K.$J6-J5 Seventh Year

So no Luna?, because selen KO good was her mother

16. PrometheusII

PrometheusII Second Year

Lily married Snape.
    But it makes sense in this AU. It's not just to confuse people. The universe differs from canon in some small details, as if a point of divergense has happend about 1 generation in the past.. which is more or less the concept of the story.
    And it is SENSIBLE!
    Not just via putting the adjecitve "sensible" in some sentences but via showing sensible details.. sensible dialogue... I like it :)

17. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

D R O P P E D

There is no sensible reason for Snape procreating or marrying Lily.

18. KGB

KGB Headmaster

Potter Law.
    Learn it, Love it, Live it.

19. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

I don't think it's plausible that Lily would ever marry Snape. Just b/c they grew up in the same neighborhood, and were friends at Hogwarts doesn't mean that Lily was ever sexually attracted to Snape. From everything we saw in canon there is no evidence to suggest that Lily and Snape were anything more than friends, and, in Lily's case at least, it was a friendship born out of curiosity. I know it's an AU but there has to be something in canon that can make the AU believable, IMO.

20. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

You guys are ridiculous. Snape/Lily is basically the least unbelievable thing to come out of friggin' fanfiction, ever.

Not open for further replies.