1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

American Gods(Starz)

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Quick Ben, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

The ten minute bit in the middle was utterly pointless. Although that Djinn was impressively stacked

2. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I might have misread it, but I thought it showed how the Djinn granted wishes?

3. JErosion

JErosion DA Member

They have confirmed that they have added Vulcan, with Gaiman's approval, Apparently the Roman god of Fire and the Forge, saw the advent of Firearms and attached himself, giving himself a much stronger footing in the modern age than many of his contemporaries.

Also Ive read that Mexican Jesus is suppose to make an appearance, even though he only got a mention in passing in the book

4. Solfege

Solfege Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

These scenes are supposed to demonstrate how far the old gods have fallen and how desperate their ruses. Apparently in the book the Djinn cons the salesman into switching identities; the taxicab is a prison, or a "bottle", and the salesman is forced to take his place.

Adapting it to screen, they decided to try making it more positive by portraying it as "a way out" for the salesman.

5. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

The problem is that we already had Bilquis for representing that. It's a similar issue I had with the coin in the first episode, that the wires like writers seem to want to force feed the audience everything that is happening rather than letting it flow

6. IAmJustAnotherGuy

IAmJustAnotherGuy Seventh Year

I just caught up with the show and have to agree with most that is mentioned here. It looks beautiful and I'm loving the cast! Czernobog, Wednesday and Mad Sweeney are really good. McShane's delivery is spectacular! I was a big fan of the Jesus scene.

The show looks beautiful, specially the Anubis vignette.

My only complain, unless what someone said here is true, is that the story of the book is going to take 5 seasons. I think it could easily be done in two or three, as some of you guys already mentioned it might happen. Still, I'd like to see Shadow's Black Dog adventure.

7. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Admittedly It has been a while since I read the book. But from what I remember the dijinn does take the salsemen's identity to finally escape back to Egypt, but the salesmen was pretty Ok with it. He had a shitty life back in Egypt that they don't go into much in the show and has no real desire to go back to it. It was always written as an escape.

The parallel to me was always more how people (mostly immigrants) end up anonymously driving yellow cabs around New York, since the whole theme of the book is about the immigrant experience.

8. Gengar

High Score:
    Didn't much care for ep4. Felt robbed given what we got from 1-3, and I didn't much care for her character anyway - even now, I don't care about her.

I imagine she plays a big part though. Unfortunately.

9. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Well, at least now we know how they're going to stretch the book over multiple seasons. I don't know. In some ways this was easily the weakest episode yet, but in others I really liked it. It's been long enough since I read the book that I don't really recall much of Laura's personality, just that she died and came back and could be super violent when necessary, so it was nice to see her developed a bit, and while the 'emotionally dead while alive, but has purpose now dead' isn't the most original spin on zombies that I've seen, it's still a nice touch. Plus, Anubis was cool, and Betty Gilpin shrieking about zombie whores was almost worth watching for by itself.

Edit to add: one nice, fairly subtle touch that I hadn't really noticed until I was reading some reviews was Ricky Whittle playing flashback!Shadow as much more confident and outgoing than the Shadow of the present. A great way to show just how badly prison and Laura's death and betrayal have affected him.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  10. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    So, should one first read the book and then the series, or watch the episodes first?

11. Gengar

High Score:
    I think the only interesting thing about Laura is her effect on Shadow :(

I guess I'm just resenting the fact I was robbed of my OG vignettes and Shadow/Wednesday scenes. Though zombie whore screaming was hilarious, true.

12. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

This was my favorite episode, as it completely changed the Laura/Shadow relationship (in a good way) and really fleshed out her character.

The whole point of show!Laura pre-death is that she was searching for a thrill, for something different and Shadow ended up being said thrill. She didn't really love him, not in the same way he did her; look at how she reacted to him being tamed, falling asleep with the Dummy's guide to taxes. She was attracted to him for the danger but he quickly turned from wolf into puppy. She pushed him into the robbery for the thrill, had an affair for the thrill, and then her going for one last thrill killed her. On a sidenote, The Weight coming on right then was the funniest thing I've seen on TV in a good long time. The Bathroom scene is a good second.

She didn't believe in anything and ended up trying to fill the hole in herself with these momentary thrills. The coin's very nature filled that hole and gave her the same pull towards Shadow he feels for her. The love is just a replacement for the thrill, not a new purpose. She's gotten a taste of Shadow's side of the relationship and is throwing herself into it. It's kind of fucked up honestly, as it is a mind whammy, but adds a lot more character than she had in the books.

That said, the montage scene did go on too long. I'm pretty certain that the writers/director think the audience are a bit dumb and feel the need to repeat THIS IS IMPORTANT or THIS IS PLOT RELEVANT several times just to make sure it sticks. Then again, Starz is mostly shows about pirates with rippling abs so it may be the right idea.

13. Gengar

High Score:
    I mean, I get what you're saying, but in the 'interesting' scale given everything that's come before? It didn't even register to me.

14. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

I think this whole episode could have been done in half the time and spend rest on OG vigilantes and some small progression instead of ending it in the same place that ended the last episode.

That would have worked better.

15. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

I like character development and it gave a whole new facet to her interactions with Shadow. There was enough weird supernatural stuff to keep me occupied; hell there was arguably more than any other episode what with Anubis, zombie whore bitch, and Tech's goons getting slaughtered

16. Feanor

Feanor Third Year

The leprechaun is just comedy gold every time he appears.

Favorite thing about the show is definitely Ian McShane though, dude is absolutely killing it.

I might have to pick up the book again, I'm enjoying the show way more than I thought I would, considering I dropped the book after an hour of reading.

17. Solfege

Have I mentioned how great McShane's polo coat works on his disheveled character? And Mr. World's three-piece. Fantastic lapel roll, strong roped shoulders, very in-your-face pick-stitching, a clearly substantive fabric. Black I suppose is a necessary sin.

The costuming on this show has been on point.

18. Gengar

High Score:
    That is perhaps the poshest paragraph I've ever read.

Episode was fantastic. I cheered when Shadow said no. Quick question: is her pet name for Shadow Papi, or Puppy? And is it deliberately vague?

19. Solfege

Streetwear too, from Technical Boy's patterned sneakers to Shadow's low-key everyman shirts. I'd comment on Media's polyester dresses and suits but it's all repro.

He's her puppy. Besides, she doesn't seem the type to want kids.

20. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

Being leprechaun is suffering. I loved the episode.

Still when they were face to face Technical boy had a point. They had them. Why were they content to let them go is a question I hope they answer. Still it was funny how when they were making offer they also put up unicorns in to the video.

Also I loved the all of the new gods. Especially this guy.
    [​IMG]

Altough I can't make relation between him and anybody else.

Last edited: May 29, 2017