1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Amor est Vita by songbook - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by stayintheloop, Nov 1, 2016.

1. stayintheloop

stayintheloop First Year

High Score:
    Title: Amor est Vita
    Author: songbook
    Rating: M
    Genre: Romance/Tragedy
    Library Category: Alternate Universe
    Pairings: NA
    Description: As Minerva McGonagall takes the place of the late Albus Dumbledore, she brings with her a past of shadows. Her less than innocent connection to Tom Riddle may be enough to bring the Dark Lord down forever. AU Book 7. HP/GW RW/HG MM/TR.
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7198065/1/Amor-est-Vita

The Description sucks, but the story moved me greatly. Minerva and Tom are both OOC to make the story work, but it sheds a different light on Minerva's character as a whole. The past events that occur in the AU are told as a frame narrative, and clearly paint Minerva's motivation for her actions. The story has several flaws (unrealistic magic, OOC moments, as mentioned previously) but I still think it is worth a read. Minerva goes through an intense pain in the story and the author handles it beautifully. The story unfolds itself in an exellent pace, and thus reads pleasantly. Please tell me your thoughts.

2. KingRoger

KingRoger Second Year

I can't say that the story is really for me, but the writing is solid, the author had a clear direction, and if there were many cliches, I'm not familiar with them. I'm giving it a solid 4/5.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  3. Atlas

Atlas First Year

High Score:
    All right then, (a few spoilers maybe? Just in case)

Pros of the story:
    -Excellent writing, I never needed to fight myself through the words.
    -Good characterizations, Except maybe Yaxely, Who I thought was a bit OOC when McGonagall went to LV (When a death-eater met with an order of the Phoenix member I didn't expect such a civil start of a conversation)
    -Premise of the story, I like it.

Cons:
    -Some choices of the author are a bit strange(like making Moody the same age as McGonagall, couldn't the author make them a year apart?) But that's subjective

I'll give it a 4/5

4. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    This story is trying to sell a lot of very eyebrow-raising things, and does a piss-poor job of it.

The writing is awkward and cringy, not at all suited to the ambitious ideas the author is trying for.

5. M.L.

M.L. Groundskeeper

First impression was that this title is awful. Not even in a pretentious Latin title way, but in that the grammar just sucks. Right now it says, I was being loved is life, It should either be Amare est Vivere, to love is to live, or Amare est Vita, to love is life. Titles should have some meaning, beyond that which Google translate spits out.

Oh yeah and the story is pretty awful too.

Edit: My latin is a little off, and although the grammar is off, it's because vita isn't in the accusative. I forgot that amor was the noun form of love as well as the 1st person passive singular. My titles are still better though. This story still sucks.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  6. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    You're still wrong. First off, Latin's Subject-Object-Verb and not Subject-Verb-Object, so it has to be Amor Vita Est, if anything. Second, Vita is in the predicate nominative with "est", so no accusative is necessary.

7. stayintheloop

stayintheloop First Year

High Score:
    Little harsh, but alright, legitimate critism. What do you find awkward and cringy about the writing, and why do you dislike the story?

8. Plotless

Plotless High Inquisitor

I edited/commented on the first page of what you wrote. Keep in mind that I am not infallible and this could all be preference.

Bullet-pointed the major issues.

- Too. Many. Fullstops, and commas.
    - Register is inconsistent
    - Speech is clumsy, doesn't sound like something you'd actually hear.
    - You use lots of descriptive adjectives but don't really describe everything, it's like you have a formula that tells you to put in a descriptive adjective after every noun no matter what. Sometimes less is more.
    - Telling vs Showing. This. A lot.

Keep in mind that there are good parts, but I'm highlighting what you need to change to make this story read better. If you really want I can keep going through.

9. stayintheloop

stayintheloop First Year

High Score:
    I didn't write the story, but I think this is very good critism that the writer would like to hear. I know this isn't the kind of story that would usually end up in the DLP library, but I thought the ending was very moving, and that DLP was in need of some variety. The over-punctionation didn't bother me much, but it does affect the way the story reads. I suppose it is a matter of preference, because I quite like stories that are on the descriptive side. Maybe this just isn't the place for that mushy stuff.