1. The second prompt is revealed! (Q2 2018)

"Breaking into Snape's office in the middle of the night was a risky move at the best of times..."

Deadline is June 18th, also known as the 22nd Anniversary of a seriously sad day—a tremendously black day for anyone.

As with before you can check out the new thread discussing scoring, rules, and other such matters in the in the Story Competitions forum.

Dismiss Notice

An introduction (surprise)

Discussion in 'Introduction Archives [Closed]' started by Gila, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Gila

Gila Second Year DLP Supporter

Hi!

I'm Gila. I originally started reading fan fiction in my teens, but I had a nice break some years back. In the beginning I read some really random stuff mostly related to some television shows I was watching back then, but for a while now I’ve mostly read Harry Potter. When I was somewhat younger I used to read all kinds of crap indiscriminately, but I really don't have the patience for that anymore. I have lurked DLP forums on and off for close to a year now I think, after that time I can't remember exactly how I found my way here. I like DLP, because this seems to be where all the good reads are hiding.

I like AU and dark!Harry fics the most right now, but if anything seems good, I will probably give it a go. Good characterization will make me like a fic as surely as crappy characterization will lead to me pressing ctrl-w. I really don't like angst or excessive romance. I don't have any favorite or strongly disliked pairings as long as it's not slash (if it was really epic then maybe, but not heard of that yet). Also I don't like very long fight scenes and if they drag on, I tend to just skip to the end. Some of my favorites lately would include Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived, Prince of the Dark Kingdom, Sitra Ahra, and Out of the Night among others I don't have the space to list here.

In real life I am a 26-year-old nursing student. I'm from Europe and English is not my primary language which would be the reason for any mistakes I've probably made. I like reading, movies, technical gadgets, wondering around aimlessly while thinking, knitting and video games. Reading is probably one of my earliest passions ever since my mother read me the Lord of the Rings before I could read myself (it really makes for a kick ass bedtime story). There never seems to be quite enough time to read as much as I'd like. In the book department I’m currently going through the Millennium series by Stieg Larsson.

2. Palindrome

Palindrome A bigger, darker mark Moderator DLP Supporter

You too, huh? Though it was The Hobbit for me: I've always remembered the dragon scene. :)

Have any favourites / favourite genres?

Welcome to DLP.

3. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

You seem decent enough; welcome to DLP.

I approve of your fiction choices, especially of Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived.

I don't know of 'Out of the Night', however?

4. Taure

Taure Magical Core Enthusiast Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Out of the Night is pretty good. It updated this week too. Solid intro. Welcome.

5. Gila

Thank you for the welcomes.

I like adventure, action, puzzle, some simulation. Some of my favorite games ove the last years would include Batman Arkham Asylum, Mirror's Edge, Tropico 3, Torchlight and Defence Grid: The Awakening. I can't of course forget Minecraft, but it really deserves a sentence of its own.

Look here.

6. Tenages

Tenages Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Welcome, welcome.

Parents reading to you before bed is indeed a fantastic way to develop a love for books. I was introduced to a number of fantastic authors and series that way. The riddle scene from The Hobbit was a favorite.

7. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    My parents choose for this occasion the Jules Verne books. But the first book I read on my own was from Erich Kästner: Mai 35.

Welcome to DLP.

In Europe where?:awesome

8. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    My parents read me Slaughterhouse-Five as a child. I think it may have had some affect.

Welcome OP you seem of decent parentage.

9. Gila

In one of the wonderful countries where we are still stuck with some snow. Not that I don't like snow, but we've had quite enough for this year already. Finland.

10. Hero of Stupidity

High Score:
    Nothing beats Hungary, bar the Soviet army.:awesome

I have a friend whose father lives there, she tell us the most amazing stories...

11. Gila

Wouldn't mind travelling to Hungary some time. Heard that just Budapest has tons of awesome places to visit.

12. Hero of Stupidity

High Score:
    here I corrected it. Of course there are a lot of interesting places, but it's a rather old city with old buildings and with the recent political climate nothing will change. There are some beautiful thing to see the Palace, the Parlament, the old campus of the Technical Uni a lot of Museums and other assortment of things.:awesome

13. Gila

Old as shit may sometimes also mean historical. I like history and I like museums, at least most of them. However, I think my visit to Hungary may have to wait for better days or some really, really cheap travel offers. Still had to google some pictures of the Technical Uni and it does look pretty awesome.

14. Hero of Stupidity

High Score:
    Yeah it is 'awesome'....:awesome For the first time, it was awesome. Nowadays I call it Hell.

15. Oz

Oz UNQUESTIONABLY THE MOST HETERO MAN IN THE WORLD Moderator DLP Supporter

HoS, have you ever made a post without awesomeface?

16. Hero of Stupidity

High Score:
    Yes.Yes I did.

17. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Hell freezing over, yet?