1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Anguis by Pseud0 Nymph - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Marzik, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Marzik

Marzik Squib

Title: Anguis
    Author: Pseud0 Nymph
    Rating: M
    Genre: Mystery/Suspense
    DLP Category: General
    Pairing: H/OC, H/Hr - (mostly platonic at this point)
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4302976/1/Anguis
    Link (FFA: 2 chapters): http://www.fictionalley.org/authors/pseudo_nymph/ATSW.html

Summary: (From Author) It's a tale of sex, crime, conspiracy and violence. No longer the Wizarding World's Golden Boy, Harry Potter is a disillusioned auror, unable to keep a partner and hiding a dark past. When a serial killer begins preying on London citizens and leaving a trail of macabre clues in their wake, Harry finds himself drawn into a web of deceit and betrayal that will force him to confront his secret past... or risk losing everything that he holds dear. Pairing: H/OFC, Eventual H/Hr, Past Hr/R, H/G

Author also says:
    "Anguis...Now it's a dark, pulp-inspired, noir crime story - and my take on an adult version of Harry who's not all light and sunshine, and who has certainly been changed by the war. The way it's written might take some getting into, but please give it a chance."

It reads as a post-war, ignore HBP(?), mystery.

Definitely deserves at least the Recycling Bin, maybe the library. I'm a sucker for the suspense/mystery genre so maybe I'm a bit biased. There are few grammar/stylistic errors but certainly nothing that makes it unreadable. (edit: Just noticed the Author Notes/review begging--that never bothers me. I just ignore it, but I know it does bother some of you. So you've been warned now.)

Overall I found it as a good way to waste a few hours, if nothing else. Given the general lack of good (Harry centric) stories to review lately, I thought this one deserved a mention.

Checked by Minion, July 28, 2013
    Dead link is dead. I added a link to Schnoogle, where the author published the first two chapters only.
    If you know where to find another copy of the story, please inform the library staff.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2013
  2. Nadino

Nadino Third Year

You might have uploaded the wrong link there man..

3. Marzik

Marzik Squib

Indeed, rookie mistake. Fixed now.

4. Synchro

Synchro High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Well enough written I suppose. But I've not read past the 2nd chapter, not in the mood for crime/noir right now and the POV changes are not very clear. I'll read it later and leave a proper review then. But if you get past the style then I think this may be alright.

5. Lincos

Lincos Professor DLP Supporter

Well to be honest, I was not at all surprised by the twist at the (current) end. I seen it coming a mile off. The POV change is fucking annoying. The story is just boring. 3/5

6. DoubleE

DoubleE Third Year

Well written, but just couldn't get into it. The change in perspectives were annoying. Got into chapter three, but just wasn't interesting to me. What I read was high quality, so I'll give this fic the benefit of the doubt and say 2.5/5 rounded up to 3. Still, if it can't keep me interested, it probably shouldn't be in the library anyways.

7. Redd Lenses

Redd Lenses Guest

As said previously, the POV changes were annoying as the author never put in line breaks the I could swap from Harry to Hermione without indication.

Other than that, I like the story a lot, but it could definitely have done with a better beta and proof reading.

4/5

8. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Eh, it's okay but not great. I don't like the story style, because it's one of those poorly thought out ideas where the story centres around a mystery, the answer to which our character knows (or at least he knows a lot more about it than we see), and the story is told (mostly) from his point of view, yet we as the reader don't know about it.

Gah.

Also, regarding his young and spunky partner etc. I found her rather unlikely, given that Harry is the defeater of Voldemort, and wizards of Voldemort's calibre don't just pop up around anywhere.

3/5

9. Lincos

The main point (if you get as far as chapter 12-13) is a plot-hole.

She says she is Voldemorts heir, but that means she's either 12/13 years old or Voldemort made he while he was just a 'ghost'. Shomehow I don't think either are likely.

10. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Oh, yes, because we all know that magical talent is carried genetically. The offspring of a powerful wizard will always be a powerful wizard. It's not like the entire point of the HP series was to dissuade us of this notion and stress the importance of personal choice.

/sarcasm.

My point still stands. That she is the daughter of
    Voldemort
    changes nothing, especially as he wouldn't have been around to raise her.

11. Lincos

Don't know if that was directed at me Taure, but my last post was just a general point I forgot to put in my original post.

If wasn't directed at me... then carry on XD

12. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Yeah, directed at the author.

13. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

2/5 being generous.

If you want a good mystery/crime fic, check out Nymphadora Tonks and the Liquor of Jacmel, or Song of the Trees by Tinn.

They're in the library.

Mystery and suspense fics are very rare (or at least good ones are), so I usually check them out even if something is off-putting in the summary/prologue/author's profile.

We definitely need more good mystery/crime/suspense fics.

14. Megz

Megz Guest

I'm going a 3/5.

I enjoyed it, which is always a good thing. The writing was solid and while the POV swaps drove me to distraction it was a good waste of an hour or so.

Not a piece I'd go out of my way to read, but a good read when you're bored.

15. Kerrus

Kerrus DA Member

Anguis?

Like Anguish?

16. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

Title: Anguis
    Author: Pseud0 Nymph
    Rating: M

Genre: Crime/Mystery
    DLP Category: Independent/General
    Pairing: H/OFC, H/Hr

Summary: It's a tale of sex, crime, conspiracy and violence. No longer the Wizarding World's Golden Boy, Harry Potter is a disillusioned auror, unable to keep a partner and hiding a dark past. When a serial killer begins preying on London citizens and leaving a trail of macabre clues in their wake, Harry finds himself drawn into a web of deceit and betrayal that will force him to confront his secret past... or risk losing everything that he holds dear. Pairing: H/OFC, Eventual H/Hr, Past Hr/R, H/G

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4302976/1/Anguis

I've read to chapter 4 so far, and it seems very, very interesting. The first couple scenes are a bit sparse and rough, but it gets going very quickly.

The writing isn't amazing, but it's certainly well written and full of life - especially compared to some of the stiff, dry stories that've been posted lately.

A hefty part of the story is based in the past before the actual crime takes place, revealing what's happened to Harry over the years. Some of the aspects aren't terribly original, but overall it is refreshing.

I give it a 4/5 as of now, possibly higher in the future.

17. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've read to chapter six. It's interesting, well written, kinda gritty and sort of believable.

However, the angst is so thick at times you could cut it with a knife, some of the events that happen are really obviously not normal and the characters all act in a way that makes you want to hit them very hard with a big stick.

It's fairly original, but nothing ground breaking and the absence of most of the Weasley's, bar some Ron cameo, is a breath of fucking fresh air.

4/5

18. Kthr

Kthr Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Isn't this fic already on The Recycling Bin?

19. Skeletaure

High Score:
  20. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter