1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Animeeshon Summer 2014

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Jarik, Jul 6, 2014.

1. coleam

coleam Death Eater

Quick update: I've dropped Glasslip and Rail Wars. Glasslip wasn't going anywhere besides horribly contrived love polygons - the future sight thing just isn't getting used to its full potential. Or at all, really.

Rail Wars has no wars. I am disappoint. It does have oodles and oodles of fanservice, but it's nothing like what I was expecting. Inconsistent animation too.

2. Mors

Mors Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Against all expectations (I was expecting something like Ambition of Oda Nobuna, though that show wasn't horribad either to be fair), I've rather come to like Nobunaga Concerto. Anybody else watching it?

3. coleam

coleam Death Eater

So Aldnoah.Zero finished up today (until January).
    Totally did not see that coming.(edited because apparently images don't get hidden)

4. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

All I can say is:
    FUCK EVERYTHING.

Slaine just went full Suzaku, the cunt.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  5. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

I did not expect Aldnoah Zero to end like that at all. I think its fitting that the one character I hated in that show is the one that ended up being the biggest cunt.

6. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well. That ending was... good.

Damn. I'm not really used to good endings in anime. Impactful. Can't wait for January.

7. coleam

coleam Death Eater

In other news, Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki Kun was fan-fucking-tastic. It needs another season. Seriously. It's rare that a comedy can get me to genuinely laugh multiple times per episode, every episode, and the characters were really well done. My AOTS for the summer for sure.

8. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

Seriously though. One of the funniest anime ever made.

9. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

I think we were all waiting for something like that to happen in Aldnoah, just because of who the writer was.

I just hope this leads to Slaine becoming an interesting (albeit probably douchebaggy) character. He was pretty boring up until this point, but being partly responsible for his Princess' death while apparently finally deciding which side he belongs on, might throw him into a fun spiral of negative character development. Always loved the way Suzaku's character went...

The way it was worded at the end, "Asseylum...has not been heard from since" almost makes me think she may be alive.

On another note, since I was sick and spent the weekend resting (ie, binging anime), I finished Haikyuu (last episode out today) and got up to date in Akame ga Kill.

Akame ga Kill is as average in quality as I expected, but at the same time, pretty fun. It reminds me of all the average anime from the early 2000s when I first got into anime - stuff like Scrapped Princess, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Peace Maker Kurogane, Vandread, etc. Back when your B-grade action of the season weren't all set in high schools. Quite nostalgic in feel actually.

Haikyuu was pretty fun too. Reminded me a lot of Kuroko's Basket in style. It was less epic at its peaks, but at the same time, very consistent. Still had all the over dramatic emotional scenes, weird traumas born from playing sport and all the fun stuff you expect in shounen, but when it came to actual skills and games, was pretty believable. Love the animation too - very smooth, exciting and cool. Makes me want to watch Volleyball. =P

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki Kun is downloaded and next to go. Seems to be universally rated highly. Must be for coleam to call it anime of the season, given how strong this season has been. =)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  10. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

Watched ep 1-9 today, and liked it very much even though it took me a few minutes to get used to the art style. It's rich in detail, but the animation looks a bit clunky at times.

Unfortunately, I haven't found a subbed ep 10 yet. Nobunaga Concerto definitely gets my vote though, as does Miyano Mamoru as the voice actor for the protagonist.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  11. coleam

coleam Death Eater

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. I enjoy the manga and think it's pretty well-done for what it is (basic shounen battler). It introduces some ideas that aren't all that common in the genre (lots of good guys dying, some gray morality), but taken objectively, they're really nothing special. It definitely suffers from being overhyped, which has lead to some backlash (a la SAO, SnK), but it's not bad.

The last couple seasons have had some really great sports shows. YowaPedal, Haikyuu, Baby Steps, and Ace of the Diamond (though that's tapered off a bit this season, I think) have all done a good job of portraying their sport accurately and in an entertaining way.

To be fair, I haven't seen all of the commonly thrown out AOTS candidates (Zankyou no Terror and Barakamon, for example), but it's the best of what I have seen (Aldnoah, Haikyuu, SAOII, Glasslip, Rail Wars, Akame).

12. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

Truth. This is the first show I've bothered keeping up with week to week all year.

13. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well fuck, now I have to check it out. Generally I try to stay away from anime comedy as much as possible, but if everyone here seems to love it, I gotta give it a shot.

14. coleam

coleam Death Eater

If you're generally not a fan of anime comedy, you may not like it. It still uses a lot of the standard setups, though it does them very well and mixes in some great characters. You should at least watch the first episode though - it's pretty representative of the humor and characterization.

15. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

It's mostly visual and character gags, not super heavy on the puns (at least the obvious ones).

16. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

About half way through Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki Kun.

It's fun, but I don't think I'm enjoying it nearly as much as you guys are. The comedy is definitely a tad different from your usual anime gags, but at the same time not super stand out to me.

Also, Tomoda is the ultimate bro. Tomoda/Protagonist OTP.