1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Announcing Library 2.0-alpha

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Lord Ravenclaw, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

As a part of a multi-step process in upgrading our Library, I'd like to announce the DLP Library 2.0 (alpha).

One of my goals recently has been to extract all of the information found in our library. We have a basic structure to our library posts, but some are better than others and it's always hard trying to find exactly what you want.

A weekend project has brought the Library Frontend to a viewable state -- I'd love some feedback on it.

https://forums.darklordpotter.net/library/ (You will need JS for this page)

It's a minimalistic frontend to the DLP Library with real-time search and sorting.

For the developers of DLP: It's an open REST API, have at it. I'll post docs soon. Open source: https://bitbucket.org/darklordpotter/dlp-library/

Known issues:
    - Cannot click on tags
    - Firefox Aurora seems to have issues
    - Some data is missing -- this will get better over time as the extraction algorithms evolve
    - Some data might not be the most fresh. The extraction process currently runs on a periodic basis.
    - URLs can be extracted as title or author

2. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

It doesn't work with Opera 11.60. I should probably try upgrading to a 12ish version sometime :?

Anyway, looks good in Firefox. Love how searching for pairings works :D You could probably mention that the dropdown on the right is for sorting the results -- it's kinda obvious in hindsight, but when I wanted to sort it, it took me a little while to realise how it worked.

Also, regarding the extraction: The problem is with the summaries, since they don't always start directly after "Summary:", but with an additional line break or even a blank line in between. No idea if that is fixable -- you could have the algorithm search down the post until there's something written, but in some whacky circumstances, that might lead to more than just the summary appearing in the summary field. Alternatively, compile a list with empty summary fields, and we'll fix it manually.

And I don't think you read the thread-prefixes currently.

Edit: Oh, and as far as the layout goes, maybe make the lines between the stories thicker or change something else, like spacing it more -- for some reason, I keep associating the tags above the story with the one below.

3. Lord Ravenclaw

Summaries have been a massive PITA, as well as multi-story posts. Those haven't been resolved yet, summaries are still one of the most simple extractions. I can compile a list of empty ones pretty easily, I'll whip up a page with empty <x> fields so we can fix those.

I agree about the separation, I've been working on some improvements to greatly enhance readability.

You're right, I don't read thread prefixes currently but I'll slate that in for the next development iteration. Most stories are tagged with statuses, but some don't.

Something I'd also like to do is some basic auto-tagging, such that I can extract entities from summaries (e.g. Person[Harry Potter]) and allow searching from that.

4. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

If all else fails you could probably rope in some volunteers to do some manual data entry every time something makes it into the library proper.

5. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hey, just had a quick glance. I've got a few comments.

- It's a bit bright considering everything else DLP is quite dark.
    - I never realized Shezza's stories were the highest rated on DLP, thats quite cool.
    - As for the ratings, can we have number of raters, as well as rating?'

Overall though, it looks fantastic. I can see it being a definite improvement once it's all polished up.

6. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Is there a possibility for older stories to be reevaluated to see if they are still up to today's Library standards?

Great work, overall.

7. Castiel

Castiel Headmaster

I don't know much about vBulletin's working but if each vote is separately stored in the database with the user's id, it would be cool to have a "Readers who read/rated this also read/rated:" thingy.

8. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

Just something I noticed while browsing the first page:

Title is not displayed and we get the url instead.

9. Lord Ravenclaw

This is covered in the known issues -- it has to do with URLs being present in title/author sections and the vbcode first pass.

10. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

Ah yeah, sorry I didn't remember it was already mentioned. Otherwise it's very neat. I like the complete/abandoned/oneshot tag. The light theme fits with PC, but clashes a bit with DLP - but I like it like that. There's also the fact that it can be a strain on the eye whereas dark background are better for reading; just my two cents on that.

11. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Works fine with Chrome both mobile and browser. Buggy for Opera 12 browser but I can make it work, mobile version its not aligned right, needs a custom style to fix it, links aren't clickable(out of alignment of where I'm tapping) Manual selection through scrolling does highlight some boxes. If you'll remind me I'll put up some screens for you to look at later.

Firefox I hate, but did test it. Mobile version is kinda buggy, slow loading, but does work eventually. Haven't tried the browser version.

Overall, I say fuck Ellisande with his a bit bright theme. I like the minimal style. As an alternative, a darker color would be okay I guess, but as it is, it works. I love it. (You know I've already pestered you for a site wide theme like this :) )

12. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Looks awesome! Except for its, well, looks. ;)
    Edit: By which I mean the white background.

Also, adding the category would be pretty cool.

13. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

White background ... one sec.

Hah, the stylish I was using to widen DLP made the background black.

[​IMG]

14. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

On its own: I approve. Is :awesome

A thought, though: Since stylebot/stylish are fairly easy to use and learn, maybe skip built in themes in favor of a few official styles?

Ten minutes of work resulted in:

[imgur]JG7sctm[/imgur]
    [imgur]FnBne44[/imgur]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  15. Lord Ravenclaw

I'll work on a few darker themes tonight -- it shouldn't be hard to add a few changes.

As for it not working on Opera -- I'll have to see why Angular.JS doesn't work on Opera. I used a MVC JS framework for building this out fast.

16. Blazzano

Blazzano Unspeakable

It looks oddly flat on my Chrome browser, with the text running right up against the left side:

[​IMG]

17. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

No sweat, I like it regardless. Already really useful. Found some stuff to read I hadn't in a long time.

18. Lord Ravenclaw

There's a bug with the CSS. Make it smaller or larger and it should work.

19. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

BTW, why is Resistance spelled Resitance there, while being correct in the thread title itself?

20. Lord Ravenclaw

It's extracted out of the post not the thread title.