1. The second prompt is revealed! (Q2 2018)

"Breaking into Snape's office in the middle of the night was a risky move at the best of times..."

Deadline is June 18th, also known as the 22nd Anniversary of a seriously sad day—a tremendously black day for anyone.

As with before you can check out the new thread discussing scoring, rules, and other such matters in the in the Story Competitions forum.

Dismiss Notice

Another introduction..

Discussion in 'Introduction Archives [Closed]' started by Sapph, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Sapph

Sapph Squib

Okay.. So I'm pretty crap at doing introductions. You'll have to bear with me and the utter fail of a post that's about to follow, apologies in advance for all the rambling that will undoubtedly occur.

I joined this forum as Sapph back in December 2007 - when I was 14 years old. I don't think I was very prepared for DLP at that point if I'm being honest, as I'm pretty sure my post count will suggest. Back then I was just a simple fan-boy with delusions of being a well known fanfiction author. I eventually realised how, for lack of a better word, shit my writing was and how cliched and awful the majority of the Harry Potter fandom was.

It's only in the last few months I've started actively reading and writing Harry Potter fanfiction again, and I've managed to find my way back into the company of your illustrious selves, except I'm planning to stick around this time... I guess that just makes you even more unlucky. :)

I'm not really a keen supporter of any ship. I'll pretty much read anything as long as it isn't H/G or slash, although I'm more partial to read a Harry/Luna, Harry/Daphne or Harry/Fleur story (and Harry/Katie as I discovered on reading Averis' Yule Ball story on here). Favourite fics include The Lie I've Lived and the Wastelands of Time.

In my own humble opinion, Luna is one of the best characters in the Harry Potter series, her weirdness appeals to me I think :p

I've tried my hand at writing fan fiction in the past, and as I said I've started again recently, but I've found that although I love to write, I'm not particularly good at it. I'm finishing writing what I've started as I don't like to leave things unfinished but I don't see myself writing anything after I've finished any Works in Progress. For anyone interested you can find me at Fanfiction.net writing under the name Gradual.Descent. Like I said I know I'm not very good so feel free to rip any works there to shreds.

As for real life... I'm 18 years old, I'm from Scotland and am currently studying Software Engineering at university. I'd say that reading was my first passion. My brother used to read me The Hobbit and other epic fantasy stories before I could read myself, and it lead to a love of books which I still have to this day. Some authors whose work I happen to love include Joe Abercrombie (Everything this man writes seems to become an instant favourite for me), Brent Weeks, Mo Hayder and Guy Gavriel Kay. I'm also a pretty keen follower of football (or soccer as quite a lot of people here would call it) and support my local team, Glasgow Celtic.

I look forward to the obligatory haiku that follows this, which hopefully doesn't involve flaming the OP... I proof read this and everything! Honest!

2. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There was someone else recently who said that they had Tolkien read to them when they were younger. I got the Berenstein Bears and Dr. Seuss, and only started in on Tolkien when the movies came out. Makes me so jelly.

Ever read the Dresden Files or the Kingkiller Chronicle?

Welcome. But no haiku for you. (That rhymed though, so it's at least a fraction of a poem. ;))

3. Sapph

Sapph Squib

I'd imagine it wouldn't be too uncommon, Tolkien is pretty much a legend after all. I only got the Hobbit from Tolkien as a kid.. the Lord of the Rings were read by myself much later, I don't think I'd have appreciated them at that age. I got all the fairy tales too though!

I've been wanting to read Dresden Files for a while now but I think the number of books out(and so the money it'll cost) is intimidating me a little.. Kingkiller Chronicles is on my to read list though. And I've read the Patrick Rothfuss book you've quoted in your signature, good book :D

Not worthy of a haiku eh? I'm distraught, I have to admit..

4. Palindrome

Palindrome A bigger, darker mark Moderator DLP Supporter

Not worthy at all.
    Here is one, like a pat on
    the head, to soothe you.

5. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

... I'm sincerely tempted to go abuse my admin powers and mark your gender as female with that name.... Hella gay, dude.

Edit: I swear to fuck if you faggots don't lay off the haiku I'm banning you all.

6. Sapph

Sapph Squib

Tell me about it.. In my defence, I was 14 and I thought it sounded cool :cool: :facepalm Don't suppose you can abuse your admin powers and change it?

7. coleam

coleam Death Eater

Fyi, Wise Man's Fear is the second book in the Kingkiller Chronicles (preceded by The Name of the Wind).

Edit: haiku removed to avoid Vash-rage.

Also, I'm curious as to why you're claiming Ginny-hate. Barring Tinn and a few others, most people here don't hate Ginny anymore. We just recognize that her character was woefully underdeveloped and, because it's the canon pairing, there will be loads of utter tripe written with it. It can be done well though, like any pairing or topic, if written by a good author.

8. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well, if you've read The Wise Man's Fear you've already read the Kingkiller Chronicle. Or at least everything that's been published, assuming you've read The Name of the Wind too. >_>

EDIT: Sneaky ninjas.

Well, I've already filled my quota for today. And Vash might follow through with his threat, sooo... :rolleyes:

9. Antivash

If you had given me a name, I could have, but since you didn't I wont.

10. Sapph

Sapph Squib

Ah my mistake, I was thinking of that Karen Miller series.. it's got King in the series name somewhere so I've just got myself confused there.

I don't hate Ginny as a character, I just don't like seeing her paired with Harry. I think that anything can be done well if it's by a good author, there'll always be exceptions to the rule but for the most part the character of Ginny just doesn't appeal to me as the romantic interest of the main character.

My mistake! Like I said I got it confused with the Karen Miller series... I've read The Name of the Wind too of course! It's a great series, although waiting for Wise Man's Fear was a bitch after the first one.

I led myself into that one there didn't I? Now that I'm on the spot I have absolutely no idea what to call myself :/ I guess I'll just stick with my gay name...

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  11. Antivash

You did. If you ever decide to stop being a faggot, PM me a name and I will refuse to change it for you.

12. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Welcome, Mr. Sapph. Damn, you joined days before me. Glad to see you're back. Anyways, you should take note of the new Programming & Computer Science subforum. Stick around, have fun, etc.