1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Aphantasia & Magic

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alistair, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Alistair

Alistair Seventh Year

I was reading an article https://www.newscientist.com/articl...campaign=hoot&cmpid=SOC|NSNS|2016-GLOBAL-hoot about the above condition recently and it got me thinking about how it would effect magic use. It is quite a common theme in fantasy that mental visualisation or imagining the effects of a spell is essential to making magic work correctly. For example, in Harry Potter the Patronus requires one to think of a happy memory, whilst occulemency requires the clearing of the mind.

That being the case, do you think that being unable to visualise things would make magic use impossible, or is comprehension of the concepts involved in the spell and its action sufficient?

2. chaosattractor

chaosattractor Groundskeeper

High Score:
    It would certainly make Apparition impossible, as that requires you to hold a strong picture/sense of your destination in your head.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I saw another interesting article about Aphantasia on facebook recently, though I don't see a convenient link to it.

Short answer? Yes, I think it would affect magic usage. But only for some spells where the mental component is integral to the spell, and with varying results.

Spells like the Patronus and Apparition, where an explicit need to visualize something is mentioned? I'd say those spells are out of the question.

Other spells though, where visualization isn't required but only helpful, should still be doable. I'm not sure of canon's stance on how important visualization is - it's so hard to filter out fanon sometimes - but I'd imagine that transformation would fall into this category. You might be able to learn to transform a needle into a matchstick without being able to visualize it just by knowing all the relevant facts about the two items and the technicalities of the spell.

Other sorts of magic, like Potions or Arithmancy, would probably be unaffected.

But, as with all things, a decent author could make it work so that aphasia doesn't affect magic at all, has minor effects, or just completely fucks with the ability to cast spells at all.

Reminds me of this thread regarding crossovers involving a limited powerset. Here we have another option! The aphasia could even be a result of how Harry got into the new universe to begin with.

4. Myrrdin Emrys

Myrrdin Emrys Disappeared

High Score:
    It definitely would affect some aspects.

The Patronus comes to mind immediately, as that spell requires heavy visualization, forget about affecting it, it would make spells like Patronus and Apparition impossible. Maybe even Portus, which may require visualization of the place you're traveling to.

Other spells like 'Incendio' or 'Diffindo' may be partially affected, weakening the spell and the likes. Transfiguration may prove to be either incomplete or effective, depending on how much visualization is required, like charms and the likes.

I don't believe subjects like 'History of Magic', 'Potions', 'Ancient Runes' and 'Arithmancy' will be affected.

TL;DR, some aspects will definitely be affected, some spells may just prove for the afflicted to be unable for them to cast, and some, those more dependent on theory will probably not be affected much or at all.

5. Kairalyn

Kairalyn Muggle

Perhaps those of us with aphantasia would be gifted at occlumency. After all a legilimens accesses visual memories inside of a person's mind. What if they can't access ours because of our inability to visualize the memory they're trying to see? What if all they see is blackness?

User was warned for necroposting.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2017