1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Arvil Bren's Morrowind Journal by Tim Cummings - Morrowind

Discussion in 'Games' started by Matian, May 4, 2009.

1. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

This is Morrowind. A surprising number of characters are immortal in one way or another.

2. Arvil Bren's Writer

Arvil Bren's Writer Squib

So my two day hold has expired and the first section of Arvil Bren is up here. Forty days worth. I'll keep working to get the rest transferred over.

3. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

You should consider making each chapter a day for ease of reading.

4. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Nah, the days aren't long enough to dedicate individual chapters to them. But anyway, if you can't keep track of chapter numbers you can't call yourself a real book lover, so why should we care if you can't keep up? :p

5. Arvil Bren's Writer

Staring uphill at 275 plus days I just couldn't bring myself to do that, though I did consider it. Each day is clearly marked with bold and italics and a day number, so hopefully readers will be able to find their place without great difficulty.

Volume one, Arvil Bren's Journal, is up in its entirety. 150 days. If I had had any sense at the time I would have stopped there. Readers could choose for themselves to think Arvil threw it all over for love, or didn't, or got killed by a bandit the next day or trampled by a guar. But nooooooo.... I opted to keep telling his story.

I've got to give some attention to some other projects, but I'll put up the next volume fairly soon.

6. Hashasheen

I can keep up just fine. It's just annoying when you're halfway from a seperate website and then you have to go looking through one huge page for the right chapter.

7. Aekiel

High Score:
    I have this new method called 'ctrl+F' of finding things. When going through long stories like this, I make a note of what the chapter heading is and then use it to find my place again later.

8. Arvil Bren's Writer

Started reformatting and posting the second part. This will take you to my main page with links to both.

9. Hashasheen

Still more time consuming than a couple of clicks. :p

10. Arvil Bren's Writer

For anyone who is waiting I started posting Politics of the Redoran, Arvil Bren's third journal. It's still just reformatting from the original Blogger story so far, but I'm about ready to start on new material. I've been playing Morrowind to the exclusion of other games and have my Arvil Bren game save almost up to date.

11. Atomicwalrus

Atomicwalrus Fourth Year

Yep

When you cure your self from Corpus in the main quest, the cure also make you immortal, you can still die but you do not age. Having Arvil Bren alive and in Skyrim during the events of the game doesn't require as big a suspension of disbelief as you would think.

The Nerevarine (your Character in Morrowind) is also a dragon born so you wouldn't need to change much.

12. Arvil Bren's Writer

So...Politics of the Redoran (including brand new material) is complete. I have started working on the fourth (and final) volume. Since I am no longer binding myself to the 'one day at a time' posting format it will be done fairly soon.

13. Robo Jesus

Robo Jesus High Inquisitor

:blinks:

Thank you.

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  14. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

Arvil Bren's Morrowind Saga

Title: Arvil Bren's Journal
    Author: Tim Cummings
    Rating: M
    Genre: Adventure
    Fandom: Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind
    Summary: A journal of a breton, cast from prison into the dangerous island of Vvanderfell. He rises, from a petty criminal into a a cultural leader and powerful man, to turn the island from a host of competeting factions into an army that wil shake the earth.
    Link: Book 1, Book 2, Book 3

This was already mentioned in This post, but I feel that even at a 3/4 volumes completed, the work stands well enough on its own to be For Review.

This is a novelization of the game. But what is adds is a level of depth to Morrowind that makes the place not only seem real, but a place you want to go to, with rich history and fascinating architecture and deep mysteries. And you watch as Arvil Bren grows and changes as the world changes around him.

The prose is dry, but the emotional weight and power in his words make it more than memorable.

5/5 No hesitation.

15. Aekiel

High Score:
    Plus it's freaking hilarious. I remember reading Book 1 back in the day and absolutely loved it. Arvil Bren is an excellent character to follow, even if the plot doesn't really veer off the in-game ones, iirc.

16. Matian

Matian Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Well, hopefully Tim Cummings will get around to finishing his saga.

The story has aged incredibly well, considering it must be around 6-7 years old by now. It still is, and probably always will be, my favorite Elder Scrolls fanfic, not to mention one of my all time favorite pieces of fanfiction in general.

5/5

17. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Merged with the existing thread. Tomorrow I'll update the first post and add the links to ff.net.

Someone might inform me, if it is a major rewrite of the first version - then it would be justified to start a separate thread.

If it is just a repost or at least nearly the same story on ff.net as on his blogs, then there is no need for another thread.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  18. kostigan

kostigan Temporarily Banhammered

Somewhere in the mountains of the Balkan peninsula
    Is any previous knowledge of Elder Scrolls required to enjoy reading this?

19. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I'd say yes, the author doesn't go out of his way to describe things visually which players would already know. There's no need to be a lore fag though. That kind of background knowledge isn't required, though I'm not far into it.

Give it a go. Maybe have a wiki or google images open in another tab.

20. Arvil Bren's Writer

So....

Here I am once again raising this thread from the tomb.

But I have an excuse.

I just posted the honest to goodness, no fooling around, FINAL piece of Arvil Bren's story on FanFiction.net.

I hope everyone enjoys it.