1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Ava's Demon By Michelle Czajkowski - PG13 - Original Fiction

Discussion in 'Original Fiction' started by Avextu, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Avextu

Avextu Muggle

Title: Ava's Demon
    Author: Michelle Czajkowski
    Rating: PG13
    Genre: Sci-Fi/Action/Adventure
    Fandom: Original Webcomic
    Pairings: n/a
    Summary: The story of Ava's Demon follows a 15 year old girl named Ava Ire. She has the misfortune of being haunted by a demon named Wrathia Bellarmina, who takes joy in manipulating Ava's actions to make her life as miserable as possible. Only later does Ava learn about Wrathia's true motives, and little does she know how tumultuous her life is to become.
    Link: http://www.avasdemon.com/pages.php#0001

This is a unique webcomic with beautifully illustrated characters and scenery that easily draws you into the story.

The plot isn't as clichéd as you woudl think. It's set in a universe somewhere 1000 years in the future. As the story progresses, we find out that things aren't as what they had seemed as first, specifically, the purpose of Wrathia and the nature of the corporation/figurehead TITAN. The main character, Ava, makes her way across the universe with an assortment of characters each with their own complex personality.

It's different to the conventional comic book-style format in that the comic is played out in "scenes", with each page serving as a singular frame. Flash animations accompanied by music appeared around the beginning of the series, although it seems that the author doesn't do this anymore. It updates every Monday and Thursday.

2. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Read it a few months ago, and loved it. To be fair, haven't touched it since then, since I am waiting for more chapters to be released but unless it took a sudden dive in quality, it was excellent. Loved the art and the setting.

3. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

It's neat but it looks like the story's only just started. Although the production quality is rather high it's a bit early. I think this will take a long time to be completed.

4. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Webcomics are insanely slow. I've been reading some for years and years and they move at a crawl even with two or three pages a week.

This one's art looks good, at least, judging from the first few pages. I'll try to read it more soon.

5. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

Love the art, it's very interesting. Waiting for more chapters. The story is still in the 'set up' stage but it's still a very good set up.

6. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

This is reeeeeeeeeally good.

The art is just... compelling. Simple yet imaginative and expressive.

The story is very organic - it drops you into an unexplained and yet very approachable situation. The sci-fi tropes are strong and comprehensible so that even if you don't know what's happening, you still know what's happening, if that makes sense.

I was randomly reminded of The Longest Journey. There's a kind of... whimsical simplicity to it, a sense that world is much larger than it is, the details spooled out slowly and at a very pleasing pace, aesthetically.

And holy shit. While there are aspects of this that remind me of a Pixar movie, shit. gets. REAL. The thematic aspects about depression / identity pull no punches, and shit like the, um, how to say this without spoilers - Strategos Six / recruitment center / "improvement pod" hoooooooooly shit. Those 10-15 panels with the superimposed music and the "transformation" were just, uh. Something.

When you read it all in one go, it's amazing. Being caught up and knowing the update rate is slow means the optimal way to read it, in my opinion, is to just bookmark it and come back in literally a year or two and gorge on the new content. You click through panels pretty fast when you're into it.

FAKE EDIT:

That's IT?????

AHHHHHHH that's the worst possible place for there for be no more of them.

UGH.

Well, whatever. I'll come back to this in a year or so.

TL;DR: This is fucking beautiful and it takes like 3 hours total to read, if that. Do yourself a favor and sink into this for a bit, it's totally worth it.

5/5

7. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

Well I just ploughed through that in one sitting and now I'm sitting here with a vague sense of emptiness. I don't think anything really needs to be said about the artwork, it's top notch, it can both convey a whimsical fantasy-ish style and a start utilitarian sci-fi feel without looking out of place. I don't think I've seen it mentioned in this thread but the characters are beautifully illustrated, the way emotion is portrayed really gets you into the mind of the characters. Of course this would only work so well if the characters were good as well, which they are. I didn't expect to have the feels for Ava only a chapter or two in.

Plotwise there's nothing to complain about, I thought it would be a pretty standard rmp across the universe but it's exceeded my expectations on that front so far.

If you're on the fence, don't be. It's easily worth your time.
    5/5

8. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Well that was awesome. Gahh I hate webcomics, 1500 panels and the story is barely getting started. Its gonna take forever to get anywhere. Beautiful project though, well worth reading.