1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Basilisk-born By Ebenbild - T

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Ghosthree3, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Ghosthree3

Ghosthree3 Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Title: Basilisk-born
    Author: Ebenbild
    Rating: T
    Genre: Mystery/Adventure
    Library Category: General
    Pairings: None so far
    Summary: Fifth year: After the Dementor attack, Harry is not returning to Hogwarts – is he? ! Instead of Harry, a snake moves into the lions' den. People won't know what hit them when Dumbledore's chess pawn Harry is lost in time… Manipulative Dumbledore, 'Slytherin!Harry', Time Travel!
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10709411/1/Basilisk-born

Rereading the summary as I post it is kind of painful. As it sounds really bad, especially in regards to Dumbledore who I barely even remember being mentioned in the 144k words so far.

I started reading this fic several weeks ago since I pretty much sniff out Time Travel fics as a priority, despite most being pretty awful. I expect a pretty standard Time Travel fic where Harry returns from the future with knowledge, but that is not what this fic is about at all.

After the Dementor attack Harry is sent back in time by an unknown figure - revealed fairly quickly - and that figure takes his place in the present. At first I was put off as I thought Harry had essentially been killed off but persistence paid off as I discovered that the story tells itself in two parts. Some chapters tell the present story, while many more actually tell us about the past and how the new present is coming to be.

Again I was put off, I'm generally not interested in non Hogwarts-era stories. But I quickly became enthralled by the history side of the story as it's actually quite a clever way of retelling the small amount of history we do know of the HP universe - at least that I can remember - and is by no means poor quality at all. I actually became less interested in the present and far more in the past as I read on and have thoroughly enjoyed it.

I do not recall a manipulative Dumbledore so far, but it may be coming I don't know. Since it has been a while since I first read it I have actually forgotten whether the figure in the present time actually has a goal in mind or not. For that reason it does feel a bit incomplete, but honestly that is not even the reason I'm reading the story any more.

If you're interested in very pre-Hogwarts-era stories - especially those about the founders and even earlier - then you should most definitely give this a try.

However if you well and truly hate that stuff I wouldn't really bother opening the story as that is what really makes it worth reading as of now.

The only part I can remember really disliking - since I have forgotten parts by now no doubt - were the letters to the Daily Prophet under a pseudonym where Harry tries to 'educate' the wizarding world. It's kind of cliche and kind of makes me gag to be honest because it just doesn't seem to ever fit in to a story well. This one is no exception.

Very happy to give this a 4/5 as of this date. Quite a unique experience for me.

2. Ncjeur

Ncjeur Second Year

I just started reading it, and can't rate it yet, however I couldn't help but notice that the whole "Oliver Twist"-letter-thing was pretty much copied from Poison Pen. I didn't especially like it in the original story, and I'm not sure if I have any desire to read it again.
    Well, I guess I'll read the next couple of chapters and rate it then, but I'm not too impressed.
    I'll edit this post later.
    Okay, three more things: 1. Normally, I don't read stories with a manipulative, money-stealing Dumbledore. However, since you said he wouldn't appear a lot, I'll ignore it for now.
    2. The author has no idea of history. The story is set in 650 BC, and Myrddin talks about traveling the Roman Empire for years. Seriously?
    3. Myrddin being the son of a phoenix and a basilisk, and adopting Harry?
    Also: Spelling Kreacher Kreature? Really?
    I'm sorry, I tried, but i really couldn't like it. At all.
    1/5

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  3. Ghosthree3

Ghosthree3 Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Hm, I didn't remember a year being brought up at all. If so yeah that's a pretty big fuck up. Oh well, it is AUish so I'm happy to ignore it.

Yeah I can understand people not liking it, hell if it was recommended it's probably not something I'd like myself, but I found the history interesting enough I thought it was worth a shot just for that.

EDIT: Maybe I should have read it again before recommending it, remembering only what you enjoyed can be misleading.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  4. sjaub

sjaub Squib

Pretty sure its spelled kreacher.

5. Ncjeur

Ncjeur Second Year

Argh, what a fail. I normally know that. Well, I fixed it :p