1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Batman vs. Superman

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Celestin, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

2. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I don't know how they expect anyone to take it seriously with that title.

I mea, seriously? That was the best they could come up with?

3. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't think the title's finalized yet, but I don't like it either. I'd prefer it if they just called it "World's Finest." It's less antagonistic, and fits the "Dark Knight" and "Man of Steel" title themes they've been doing which don't directly reference the character's names.

I think the latest info I heard from a few days ago was that Batman's costume looks Jim Lee influenced, according to Kevin Smith anyway, which could mean that they're actually making the suit grey and not all-black like they have been since 1989. Jim Lee designed the current New 52 suit, so I imagine it'll look more or less like that. I'm perfectly fine with this, and I say it's about time. Actually I was hoping the last Nolan movie would give us a suit that looked closer to the comics (and a Batman closer to the comics for that matter), but clearly that didn't happen.

I've also heard they might bring Wonder Woman and Nightwing into it. I'm more in favor of Nightwing than Wonder Woman in this case. I think Wonder Woman deserves her own movie to establish her (hey, if they can make a Thor movie or a Guardians of the Galaxy movie of all things, they can make a damn Wonder Woman movie) and throwing her in here could crowd things, whereas Nightwing is pretty firmly attached to Batman. And if they're portraying an older and more experienced Batman here, then having Nightwing is a good way to show that.

Here's some things I think would work for portraying a "world weary," as they put it, Batman:

- They want an "older" Batman here. Clark said he was thirty-three in MoS, so I'd make Batman in his late thirties, which would roughly coincide with Ben Affleck's actual age. Not too old like DKR's fifty-five year old Batman or anything, but still older than Clark. Ideally he'd have around a decade of experience under his belt at this point.

- Dick Grayson has grown into a young adult and has become Nightwing.

- Barbara Gordon was crippled and Jason Todd was murdered, two tragedies that occurred in quick succession, and both committed by the Joker. These both happened recently and have left Bruce depressed and disillusioned.

- In addition, Bruce's philanthropic efforts using his money combined with his activities as Batman have shown significant improvement in Gotham City, and he's wondering if he's needed anymore (much like TDKR).

- If they're really going to have Superman and Batman fight, I could see it set up thusly: while we know from MoS that the responsibility for the destruction in Smallville and Metropolis falls on Zod and his men's shoulders, from an outside perspective that's probably not as clear. Bruce would see these powerful aliens battling and wouldn't differentiate Superman from the others that well, and thus he would be suspicious. He might see this as a continued purpose for Batman, and he fixates on countermeasures against Superman as an outlet for his grief and anger. I'm not sure what would trigger an actual fight, but it should probably come about as a result of a misunderstanding on both Superman and Batman's parts: Superman only knows of Batman as a shadowy vigilante with sometimes extreme methods, and Batman sees Superman as a potential alien threat to Earth.

- What I'd like to see as a result though is Clark convincing Bruce that he can still do good as Batman, and that, as Bruce put it in the Justice League cartoon, "justice doesn't have to come from the shadows." It'd be a transition for Batman from a Gotham-local hero to a superhero on a larger scale, and help set up his involvement in the Justice League. Meanwhile Clark could still be wondering whether he did the right thing with Zod, and seeing how Bruce has done what he's done for ten years without killing anyone, might help solidify his own views on killing in the future through this. Also Bruce could help him see the line between between protector and tyrant and give him perspective as to how normal people see him and his powers.

4. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What Aviary is suggesting is amazing, but I'm not sure how to pull it off in a 110-155 minute movie which I'm guessing is the range (probably more 140-160 actually), but I'm not sure how to fit all that Batman backstory in without flashbacks (not sure if they're common in MoS haven't watched it yet, will be soon. I'm hoping for a Batman centric story where superman doesn't get on screen until we're at or past the halfway point.

As to Wonder Woman and Nightwing, I think it would be good to see Wonder Woman in her own movie though a cameo or mention to set her up properly for her own movie. Nightwing done right would be goddamn fantastic. He's got one of my favorite costumes though so I'm almost hesitant to support it just because he might end up awful.. still anything is better than a grown man dressed as Robin :/

Does anyone know if these movies are in the same universe as Arrow, the new Flash show and the Gordon show?

5. Red Aviary

High Score:
    MoS has plenty of flashbacks to show Clark growing up and such. For Batman though... well if they didn't do what they did with TDKR I'd have suggested using the Nolan movies as a base. Maybe it's still possible to count Batman Begins and The Dark Knight as a loose canon for this Batman while discounting TDKR? I don't know. Honestly I think it's safe to assume the audience knows about Batman already, and they can just fill us in about things like Dick and whatever wasn't covered in the Nolan movies.

EDIT: Actually I'd rather them just start from scratch and leave the Nolan movies as they are. There are some things from even the first two I'd have liked changed for this Batman anyway.

I'd rather not have Batman steal the show. Superman and Batman should share the spotlight, or if one character has to have more then give it to Superman. Batman's already had a lot of exposure recently, I don't want them to play him out too much.

I'd really like Arrow to be, but I don't think it's confirmed yet. If they want to start up a live-action universe then using what Arrow's already established would give a lot to build off of.

I don't know about that supposed GCPD show. If it's set before Batman turns up then I don't think they have a lot to go with in terms of Gotham villains and heroes. There wouldn't be a lot to set it apart from other police shows. Unless you have all these Gotham villains without Batman, which would be kind of weird.

A GCPD show taking place throughout Batman's career though, with Season One roughly representing the situation in Year One and moving from there, would be interesting though. It'd be neat to see the progression of Batman's career and his effect on Gotham from an outside perspective. Batman himself wouldn't show up often, his presence would just be felt.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  6. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Be aware, this is a direct sequel to MoS. So don't worry about Superman only appearing after Batman is established. The protagonist is Superman.

7. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

So as far as the title goes, apparently Warner Bros has registered a bunch of titles that are Man of Steel-based. So hopefully it won't be as ridiculous as 'Batman vs Superman'.

Also, Wonder Woman introduction? Hadn't heard that, but apparently there's a chance of this, which is awesome. Hopefully they'll maintain a connection with Arrow, which seems to be expanding into the DC universe, and do this right for once.

8. Red Aviary

High Score:
    I guess out of those "Shadow of the Night" sounds the least stupid. It's, uh, still kind of stupid, but at least it doesn't sound just like the last Star Trek or Transformers movie's subtitle. Maybe "Shadow of the Knight" would be better.

I still don't see what's wrong with "World's Finest."

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  9. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Beyond Darkness sounds too much like Into Darkness for me, and the rest are eh. I personally would prefer Darkness Within, but they all seem a bit iffy. World's Finest might be jumping the gun a bit, honestly. I dunno, at this point I'm just relieved there's a chance it's not 'Batman vs Superman', which is a dozen times worse than any of those.

I'm more interested in potential Nightwing and Wonder Woman involvement. I think bringing in Wonder Woman might crowd the film a bit, though if it's perhaps an oblique reference to Themyscira or an ending scene like Thanos in the Avengers then it might work. Bringing in Wonder Woman and then focusing solely on Superman and Batman wouldn't really work well IMO. Nightwing's an easier sell since he's Batman's protege and can come in as an ally of sorts for a more minor role.

10. Solomon

Solomon Heir

For what it's worth, there are rumors that Arrow (a surprisingly excellent TV show about, you guessed it, the Green Arrow) will feature Nightwing later. Also: the Flash will briefly feature for a few episodes (unpowered, seems like) before his own spin-off starts up.

11. Celestin

Gal Gadot is Wonder Woman and will be in the movie making it less and less MoS 2 and more JLA: The Beginning. Though it could be just a cameo, I won't be surprised if she is Bruce's "girlfriend" in it.

12. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Shut up, you. I might actually grow hopeful and then get crushed when I see it.

13. Red Aviary

High Score:
    Hrm. I'm hoping her involvement is minimal. I'd still prefer her to have her own movie to set her up.

14. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Israeli actress and Israeli army experience. So hopefully she'll be both incredible and intimidating in equal measures.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  15. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

She isn't a very good actress, not bad, but not really good from what I've seen, but since I despise the Fast and Furious franchise I can be suprised. My main problem is her figure, she is barely skin and bones, the amazon princess who can be defeated by a strong gust of wind. Really, just look ate her "sexy" moment in F&F 5, I was really puzzled, how could that guy leave finger prints on something that doesn't exist?

Bring Gina Carano or Ronda Rousey, they have the body, martial training and a lot of fame, and at least as acting experience as Gal Gadot. And Carano was pretty good in Haywire.

Edit: Great, now I'm one of internet whiny bitches, but I stand by my point, she doesn't look anything like (what I view as) Wonder Woman.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  16. Celestin

It's pretty much given that she must bulk up for this role similarly to Cavill though not as much. But Gina Carano was my personal favorite in terms of a warrior woman presence.

17. Alraune

Alraune Seventh Year

18. Red Aviary

High Score:
    As long as it turns out reasonably good, I don't mind too much if it's delayed. But filming another movie alongside it might be a little too ambitious.

Huh, that's interesting. I wonder if he's fine-tuning a script David Goyer already wrote, or if he's making his own to replace it?

19. Alraune

Alraune Seventh Year

They are insane.

20. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

May 6th might be the new Spider-Man movie