1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Best All-Around Harry Potter FanFiction

Discussion in 'Award Winners 2006' started by Zevrillion, Dec 26, 2005.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Tobang

Tobang Fourth Year

Wow IP82, I think me and you are alone here….im suddenly feeling very ganged up on.

First of all I think a whole bunch of WIP out there are better then any finished story, anything by shezza for example is a WIP, but yet every last damn word in his stories are freaken awesome. And I also bet that even if he does end up turning one of his stories into a cliched slash fest that he could still pull it off, and still make it into a great story.

Also, refusing to read a story b/c it has a few spelling and grammar errors is a poor excuse. Scorpion Sorcerer is definitely not “horribly” misspelled and also definitely doesn’t “butcher” the English language. I reed threw the story with very few problems and I enjoyed every second of it.

Now im not defending what Vorrlorn said about your guys stories, that was definitely a character attack and not fact based reviews of your stories. But you guys are now doing the same thing to him. You are taking one small problem with his story and amplifying it WAY beyond its actual extent just because you’re mad at him.

2. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Sure. And I think a lot of plot bunnies out there are better than many WIPs.

I'm not going to argue the difference between a bunny and a WIP is the same as the difference between a WIP and a finished fic, but it's the same general premise for me. A bunny is usually just one or a few ideas with a lot of potential, a WIP is partially fleshed out with some undefined potential, and a finished fic is a final product you can clearly judge completely on it's merits.

I love Shezza's stories too, but I've never liked the ending to any of them. He's got great ideas and battles, but without a conclusion or final battle it's no different than watching only the first hour of a good movie. It's not really fair to compare it to a complete movie you've seen, for either the complete one or the unfinished one.

3. Forfie

Forfie Third Year

I know that the voting is all over and all, but I wanted to recommend a fic. Full Pensive's Harry Potter and the Years of Rebellion. It's a really good fic plot wise and writting. The chapter length is really long, which is a good thin in my opinion. The only problem is that due to a medical condition, Full Pensive, had to halt his updates for a long time and is slowly recovering. It's a sixth year story that was pre-HBP. Here's the link below:

http://fanfiction.portkey.org/story/3807

4. Cervus

Cervus Raptured to Hell

I've been following Full Pensive's fic for a long time even though I think it can be too long winded in places. The time between updates I can handle... hell if anybody has a reason for so long between an update it's this guy. I admire his dedication to his fic actually, I myself might have given up a long time ago.

5. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Yeah, I've read this. Has a lot of orriginal ideas, but it's just too fucking slow on the build up. Also, the plot is often going in circles - Harry escaping, coming back, Ron stabile and then not... all characters are changing moods like PMS-ing women. Not to mention that Harry's dumping that cool OC chick and lusting after Ginny... Not bad, too dragged out and seemingly abandoned.

6. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Really? I thought that that fic was predominantly a HHr fic?

7. Cervus

Cervus Raptured to Hell

It is an Harry/Hermione fic

8. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

It is? Must have mixed it up then... All the same, dropping that foxy Lupin's daughter for the fruitcake Beaver.

9. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

what a tool >_>... always considered reading it but i think ill refrain

10. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

It's not that bad... it's just... meh.

11. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I think I've said enough about my spells. It's obviously the ONLY extremely trivial thing that...yanno, I was going to post something unkind here, but I honestly find it akin to challenging a one-legged man to an ass kicking contest...can find to criticize about my work, whereas I could nail at least half a dozen on his entire hackneyed plot without blinking an eye. I wholeheartedly snicker at the whole idea of 'realism' being applied to Harry Potter. News flash, Vorlon. MAGIC ISN'T REAL EITHER. HARRY POTTER IS A FANTASY UNIVERSE. THE WHOLE CONCEPT OF APPLYING STARK REALISM TO THIS GENRE IS FLAWED BEYOND BELIEF. Sheesh, I don't ever think I've had to borrow from Capslock!Harry here, but this...(censored)...annoys me that much.

Not open for further replies.