1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Best fan fiction sites

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dano1o, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Dano1o

Dano1o Squib

So this is my first thread so bear with me. Since I started reading fan fiction back in the day, I have been on a few fanfic sites. Started with on dedicated to Harry Potter and can't remember it's name. :(
    Anyway was just wondering if there were any other sites people can recommend apart from ffn and fanficauthors? Much appreciated.

Edit: Also know AO3 and I'm not a fan.

2. Armani

Armani Second Year

3. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You're on it.

4. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Spacebattles and Sufficient Velocity have loads of content on, and a lot of the members aren't fans of other sites, so there's a decent amount of stuff there that you can't get elsewhere. However, the userbase like joining in with stories (meaning omakes, and pedantry), and it is primarily a forum, so you get a lot you have to sift through. Thankfully, they've introduced threadmarks and OP alerts, so you don't have to read every post to identify updates.

Questionable Questing also has a load. It's primarily NSFW, and again it's a forum. There's some decentish stuff, I guess, but similar problems to SB/SV

Topwebfiction is pretty good for finding popular stuff, although seems to be mostly isekai/completely original stories. Also, you don't need an account, which can lower standards a bit. Also, it doesn't actually host the stories.

TVTropes is another link repository. I've had some luck using it, although I haven't used it recently. Again, it doesn't host them.

Anonkun (or fiction.live) is pretty good, although mostly used for quests. There's a few on there I'm going to be dropping for library recs over the next while, once I've caught back up with them. My main gripe with the site is that you can only subscribe to an author, not to a single story. But the quest options are click to vote, and the chatbox is at the side, so it actually makes reading old quests GOOD, because you can see winning votes, and the relevant posts quite easily (rather than sifting through 15 pages of bickering over which sort of elemental damage is better).
    Second issue is that because of cookies (I think?), it remembers where you were with a story. This is great if you only use a single device, but if you use two, you're screwed, because it takes you back to the first part of the first chapter

Fictionpress is ff.net's sister, in that it hosts original content. Mother of Learning is on there, and I've never read anything else. If you like ff.net and original stuff, you'll like fp.

Fimfiction is good for MLP. But it only hosts MLP (and crossovers).

1d4Chan has some stuff around, but it isn't exactly an epitome of a well structured site, and the stuff is primarily greentext from 4chan and the like. There's good stuff if you go digging, but there isn't a decent index.

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head. DLP is pretty good for finding recs though, if you go diving in the library. But you might find older stuff doesn't stand up at all.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  5. Mr. Merriman

Mr. Merriman Groundskeeper

FictionAlley is still up, I think. It's more or less just an archive now; I don't think anyone really updates there anymore. It's got some decent stuff there from the old days, but it's not really up to modern standards on navigation and ease of use.

6. Dano1o

Dano1o Squib

Thanks everybody for the help. Hope I can find something new to read.